Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Dec 17, 8:15 AM
    • 3,126Posts
    • 4,959Thanks
    another casualty
    wifi Keeps dropping put Vodafone and openreach are looking into it
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:15 AM
    wifi Keeps dropping put Vodafone and openreach are looking into it 7th Dec 17 at 8:15 AM
    Howdy!

I have a fault with my Wi-fi at present . Last weds when I plugged my new iMac into the phone socket in small bedroom it triggered a fault with the main box in the living room. This meant the phone was also out of service.

After much investigation , Vodafone sent through an engineer from openreach on Tuesday afternoon .
    Yesterday morning , no internet , but phone is working . I reset router then same fault returned last night at 7pm. I contacted Vodafone and am monitoring the problem letting them know this evening how things are .
    Fault cleared , reappeared about 9pm . I reset router then it works again .

Same thing this morning 7am. The phone is working since tues afternoon, but Wi-fi is intermittently cutting out .

What I was told is that I cannot use socket in bedroom and can only use Wi-fi in that room . I have sockets in my bedroom which I havenít used yet but intend to use Apple TV in there .i will test sockets in there.

Not complaining about Vodafone , but just wondering how big a problem it is ?
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 9,946 Posts
    • 4,096 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    WiFi nothing to do with OR .
    Usual reasons one poor channel selection or interference on wireless channels .Or a router problem though unusual .Suggest factory reset the router .

Have you been made aware of probable £130 call out fee from OR if it was your faulty connections past the master socket .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,959 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    Thanks j j . The engineer did spend some time fixing the electrics in the socket . I keep resetting router . It doesn’t look like I will be charged a fee as it wasn’t mentioned . I’m just puzzled as to what to do next . I will be speaking to Vodafone again this evening .
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 9,946 Posts
    • 4,096 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    Ask for a free new router .
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 7th Dec 17, 12:12 PM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:12 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:12 PM
    you should NOT be plugging in an IMac into a phone socket!!!!

Well not without a micro filter. (as a minimum)

I'm not surprised the BB stopped.

Get a wifi usb dongle for the IMac if that is appropriate

THese days you connect things with WiFi or using a network cable from the router.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,959 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    Thanks folks .
    Forgot to mention that I did plug it via the micro filter .
    What the engineer said was that the socket I was using in that room was affecting the master socket in the living room and advised me not to use it .
    I do have another router which was sent to me from Vodafone .
    They sent me 2 for some reason . I did ask the engineer if it was worth using the other one instead . He said that it wouldnít make any difference . However, it may be worth trying if Iím having problems ??
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 7th Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    You should only have 1 data device plugged into the phone socket. This is the router.

You need to get the computer connected via WiFi.
    Dongles are only about £15.

Ask in a computer section for Macs

Something like this. (not a tiny one)

https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Networking/cat/Wireless/subcat/Adapters---USB

Need to ensure they say they work with a Mac
    Last edited by AndyPK; 07-12-2017 at 6:46 PM.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,959 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    Thanks Andy . Will,look into that .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,959 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    Just had a call from Vodafone . All appears to be well. Iíve removed the faceplate as instructed and it is going to remain off until at least tomorrow. If there are no further problems, it could mean that I leave the coupler connected into the wall without faceplate on , or buy a cheap replacement faceplate from marlins etc. Either way , I donít mind if the fault has gone and everything is working as it is now.

Must say that Vodafone and openreach have been friendly and professional.
    • Enceladus
    • By Enceladus 8th Dec 17, 3:38 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Enceladus
    Adapter or not, an iMac doesn't have any standard ports intended to connect to a phone socket of any flavour.

The iMac does have an Ethernet socket which uses a cable with an 8 position RJ-45 connector on each end. Such a cable plugged into the Ethernet port could be used to directly connect your iMac to one or the corresponding RJ-45 sockets on the rear of your Vodafone router.

The iMac does have an in-built wireless card and should be able to communicate wirelessly to your Vodafone router assuming there is a reliable signal and both ends of the connection are properly configured. Configuration should be largely automatic. In such case you would not need to use the Ethernet port at all.

I don't know how you managed to connect the iMac to a phone extension socket but that was never going to work. And you can probably think yourself lucky that you have not damaged the iMac and voided the warranty.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Dec 17, 6:23 AM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    boatman
    Another option is to use powerline adapters.

The supplied Vodafone router does have a history of WiFi dropouts and speed drops.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,959 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks folks . Thankfully I only plugged new iMac in once and that was enough by the sound of it . Lesson learned there.
    TBH , when the signal is working on Wi-fi itís very good .
    I have power line adapters which I used in my last flat . I doubt Iíd need them here . I realise I can use the iMac Wi-fi only from now on .

Last night around 10 pm the fault returned . It returned for about 10 mins or so. Not impressed . Vodafone will call me back tomorrow afternoon . I wonder if the router got replaced it would make any difference ? They sent 2 so I may use the other one later.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    boatman
    You say the problem returned, was that wireless or wired?

Have you had a good connection previously, either from Vodafone or a previous provider, be it wired or wirelessly?

Have you checked the best channel for your wifi, if you have a smartphone using the wifi Analyzer app?

Also have a look through their forum:
    https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/bd-p/BroadbandandHomePhone

You seem to have the problem in the evening which, could point to either lots of people using their wifi around you causing interference between the channels, or a lack of capacity on vodafone broadband and the signal to the router getting dropped, leading to a drop in both wired and wireless internet.
    Last edited by boatman; 08-12-2017 at 9:52 AM. Reason: ii
    • Enceladus
    • By Enceladus 8th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Enceladus
    Do a hard reset to factory default on your VF router and then setup from scratch. You'll need a straightened paperclip to depress the reset switch.

What model VF router do you have exactly? The recent ones are 5GHz capable and are less prone to interference from other devices. Your iMac is also 5GHz capable so make sure that the iMac is using 5GHz in preference.

That said 5GHz signal strength drops off quicker through masonry walls.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,959 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thanks folks .
    The problem is wiypth Wi-fi only now . It was with the landline telephone until engineer fixed that on Tuesday .
    It cut out around 11am this morning . I had to take socket out of wall and re insert it . It’s fine again for now .
    Not sure what model v f router I have . Not sure where to get 5he info on it .
    I will do as you say boatman later on . Busy for some time today .

Enceladus , I did a factory reset as you described a few times and the problem is still there .

Lots to discuss with Vodafone .

Btw , it may seem mad but I heard a bang last night I think in all honesty it’s an electrical fault with the master socket .
    We’ll see
    Last edited by another casualty; 08-12-2017 at 1:29 PM.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 8th Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 8,621 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    Linton
    I have had wifi problems in the past. Recently following a lead on the net I split my dual band router's wifi into two separate networks and have not had any problems since. If you have a dual band router it might be worth trying.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 9th Dec 17, 6:02 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,959 Thanks
    another casualty
    Spoke to Vodafone today . Issue now passed to their tech dept, which includes openreach . Should contact me within 72 hrs . Canít complain with the people at Vodafone / openreach. Eventually the problem will be solved and all will Be well .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Dec 17, 1:40 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,959 Thanks
    another casualty
    Bizarrely , the Internet has been better most of the time since my last post. It just went off fipor a couple of mins this morning .
    I await the next call from Vodafone . Probably tomorrow .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Dec 17, 10:56 AM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 4,959 Thanks
    another casualty
    Engineer came and ( hopefully) sorted out the problem. He put in a new master socket . This one doesnít need a coupler. He says to monitor it for a week, and if nothing changes then the problem is solved . I contacted Vodafone to let them know engineer has been as requested . My 50gb data allowance ended today . That was to tide me over for the 2 weeks of intermittent fault .

Wonder if I get a reduced bill next month?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,027Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter