Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vegainer
    • By Vegainer 7th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Vegainer
    HSBC CC - One off payments
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    HSBC CC - One off payments 7th Dec 17 at 7:41 AM
    Hi all,

New forum member here!

I have a HSBC credit card and Iím paying a fixed amount each month via direct debit. I want to be able to top up these with the occasional one-off payment via debit card or bank transfer, but HSBC seem to make this very difficult if you donít have a current account with them.

Does anyone know if you can transfer funds from a HSBC savings account to a credit card please? It seems to be the only idea I can come up with after trawling though their FAQs...!

Thank you in advance,
    V
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    • 14,392 Posts
    • 15,186 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    Simply make payments from your own bank account, using the payment details on the statement.
    • Vegainer
    • By Vegainer 10th Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Vegainer
    • 10th Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    Thanks zx81 - I feel quite silly. I don't often look at statements, just the transaction list online. Many thanks for your help
    Starting Debt: £6344.23 (Dec 2017)
    Saving for Christmas 2018: £31/£365
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 10th Dec 17, 3:47 PM
    • 29,616 Posts
    • 17,475 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 10th Dec 17, 3:47 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 3:47 PM
    You need to find out how HSBC treat additional payments when you have a DD set up. It's possible they will reduce the DD amount, or cancel altogether that month, if you make a manual payment outside the 3 working days immediately preceding DD collection date.
    • Vegainer
    • By Vegainer 10th Dec 17, 5:16 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Vegainer
    • 10th Dec 17, 5:16 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 5:16 PM
    Thanks YorkshireBoy - the thought crossed my mind earlier today. I'll keep an eye out and if they do this, I'll top it up to what it should be.

Thanks again for the reminder!
    Starting Debt: £6344.23 (Dec 2017)
    Saving for Christmas 2018: £31/£365
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    • 17,480 Posts
    • 11,707 Thanks
    molerat
    • 10th Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    You need to find out how HSBC treat additional payments when you have a DD set up. It's possible they will reduce the DD amount, or cancel altogether that month, if you make a manual payment outside the 3 working days immediately preceding DD collection date.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Thanks YorkshireBoy - the thought crossed my mind earlier today. I'll keep an eye out and if they do this, I'll top it up to what it should be.

Thanks again for the reminder!
    Originally posted by Vegainer
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/contact-and-support/card-support/credit-card-repayment-options
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • damoC
    • By damoC 11th Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    damoC
    • 11th Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    Hsbc still take the DD if you make additional payments (this happened to me, best to make additional payments after the DD). To make the additional payments, log in to your account and set up a new bill payment, use there account number and sortcode (HSBC even have an option in a dropdown list of companies to make life easier, assuming you are doing this from an hsbc bank account). Use your 16 digit card number as the payment reference.
    • dresdendave
    • By dresdendave 11th Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    dresdendave
    • 11th Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    Hsbc still take the DD if you make additional payments (this happened to me, best to make additional payments after the DD). To make the additional payments, log in to your account and set up a new bill payment, use there account number and sortcode (HSBC even have an option in a dropdown list of companies to make life easier, assuming you are doing this from an hsbc bank account). Use your 16 digit card number as the payment reference.
    Originally posted by damoC

Perhaps I'm overly cautious but after setting up the details I would make a nominal payment of £1 and make sure it shows on my CC online statement. Then I would make larger transactions knowing all the details have been set up correctly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,988Posts Today

6,456Users online

Martin's Twitter