Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 7th Dec 17, 6:16 AM
    • 2,899Posts
    • 39,371Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Thursday 7 December 2017
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:16 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 7 December 2017 7th Dec 17 at 6:16 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 7 December 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was chicken in country sauce, mash, carrots, peas, LO cauli/broc cheese and yorkshires - all eaten and enjoyed, although I used boneless skinless chicken thighs, and they just shrunk, so will make sure I only use chicken breast next time. Tonight I'm not sure what we'll be eating, but will organise that later.

Yesterday work wasn't too bad in the morning, but then became very busy in the afternoon, as I do a different job on Weds afternoons, and there's not enough staff, but the time does pass quickly. I'm now on days' off, so will crack on with the "to do" list. I'll be heading to town first thing to visit the bank and building society, then home to crack on.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 07-12-2017 at 6:24 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Dec 17, 6:40 AM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 9,844 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:40 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:40 AM
    Morning everyone

Iím pleased that you had a bit better visit with your mum nelski.

Hopefully the rest of the academic year wonít be as stressful for you now you have sent the email Gers.

Cranky Iím sorry that you were let down after being promised help with the Christmas tree. I know what you mean about it being hard to ask for help in the first place.

Iíve had a bad night, just couldnít sleep. Iíve got too many things going around in my brain at the moment. I think itís the time of the year. I gave up and got up at 5.00am and have been reading since but feel wrung out now. I think I will need a nana nap this afternoon.

As the forecast is for wind and rain all day today Iím pleased the only place I have to go is to the surgery which is no more than five minutesí walk.

Iím not planning on doing much today, just clean the kitchen a bit more thoroughly than it has been done lately and then read this afternoon.

I did manage to go out yesterday for a bit of the late night shopping. I walked to the town (slowly) with my neighbour and went into M&S and had a quick browse as it is a cut through to where we were going for a drink. The town was so busy that I was pleased in a way that I wasnít able to walk around. I really hate the shops when they are this busy. The pub was nice and festive with shoppers coming in and out. It was nice to sit there and people watch for a couple of hours.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 7th Dec 17, 6:49 AM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 41,814 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:49 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:49 AM
    Morning All

It's a bit breezy out there, the wind has been howling all night, I even had to close the bedroom window as it was too noisy!

Did a wash last night so that should be ready to put away tonight, bins are emptied and the mess on the kitchen table is all but cleared. Just waiting for one more gift to arrive then I can put all the wrapping paper away for another year. I'll drop some parcels off at the post office on my way home tonight.

Hope the poorlies are all recovering, glad you could get out Holly.

Well done on sending the e-mail Gers, hope they take it all on board.

You sound much more up-beat dumpling!

Meeting a friend this evening for a catch up, we only live a couple of miles from each other but can't seem to get together.

I went to a new place to have my eyebrows waxed yesterday and it was so much better than the other one I used, she was really gentle and I came out feeling very relaxed and I'll definitely go back.

Hope you all have a good day, stay safe and take care. XX
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 7th Dec 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 14,600 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:07 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:07 AM
    Morning all, lots of rain here.
    I have an all day conference type thing today and will need to get to the venue which is 2 buses and a walk but my coat does have a hood, it makes me look like the evil emperor from Star Wars.
    Other than that, I have no news so will wish everyone a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Dec 17, 7:09 AM
    • 5,959 Posts
    • 35,563 Thanks
    Gers
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:09 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:09 AM
    Morning all.

The wind woke me at about 4am so I’m glad that I’m not driving down from home today. I’m taking my car into the body shop this afternoon and collecting the hire car. After promising a like-for-like car the hire company were going to give me a Fiesta, not remotely comparable! A quick phone call fixed that.

My DM made me laugh out loud yesterday. I had given her a Thorn*on’s advent calendar which has little individual boxes, each numbered and containing a chocolate. She’s pulled out all the boxes and rearranged in numerical order She is SO German still!

I’ve got some chores to do here and have brought my laptop with me this time.

I hope everyone is safe and warm. Happy Thursday.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 7th Dec 17, 7:24 AM
    • 6,507 Posts
    • 90,131 Thanks
    redruby
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:24 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:24 AM
    Morning all

Blowing a gale here but no rain atm I think we are due some later on, I think jut about everyone is due bad weather today so be careful out there.

Off to work for me today but thankfully no Christmas dinners so hopefully a nice quiet day, although Thursdays group are a very loud and full on one but its usually a good day.

Shopping came last night so a veg fest was had I cant tell you how lovely it was something with chips tonight with veg on the side.

I need to put a wash on tonight and I need to put a final coat of oil on the worktops which means they cant be touched for 24 hours which is a pain but it needs doing.

Nanny I am thinking of the little lad xx

Have good days all and stay safe xx
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 7th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    Good morning all. Damp and windy here, the forecast is poor.

Glad you managed to get out HollyH, your knee seems to be slowly mending.

Yesterday jogged along as planned, hoping today does the same. I'm tidying cupboards and drawers, and getting a bag sorted for the charity shop. Funny that, however much i get rid of, I can always find more!! and I don't buy loads of stuff, I'm careful about that. Hey ho,
    Hope everyone who is worried or poorly soon feels better.
    Have a good day folks.
    • tru
    • By tru 7th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    • 8,590 Posts
    • 43,475 Thanks
    tru

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
    Just like the ones I used to know
    Where the treetops glisten,
    and children listen
    To hear sleigh bells in the snow

In my calendar Ė not sure but it looks a bit creepy

Morning

RosyRed I didn't draw anything, I can't draw Can't write patterns either! Whenever I think I've come up with something original, I find out that someone has done it before. The coasters are just round with pointy bits round the edge, really easy to do. I googled images and couldn't find the exact same thing and I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have something of my very own I'm not going to search again in case it turns up, I'm just going to carry on believing that I invented it, lol.

Lol Gers Love that your mum did that

I have a short list of things to do, it's written in my diary which is in the other room so I can't tell you what I'm up to, I can't be bothered to go and get it

Bulletproof
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Dec 17, 8:15 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 27,504 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:15 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:15 AM
    Good morning all

tru the house troll identified the calendar contents today - it's an elf head.

I was lucky yesterday. Another friend called in and made encouraging noises and cups of coffee while I put the tree up. Today I'm taking my cousin to visit her brother in hospital. He's not in the hospital 5 minutes away from where we live, he's in hospital about a 30 minute drive away. My cousin (who is really my dad's cousin's wife but that over complicates things) had a bad fall last week and is in a neck collar so I'm not letting her get the bus.

Gers I've been reading the weather guess and it looks bad for the north of Scotland. I'm glad you're not driving down today too.

Nannywindow life seems so cruel sometimes. I will light a candle for healing for all the poorly people tonight.

Take care all of you
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Dec 17, 8:32 AM
    • 15,623 Posts
    • 127,616 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums and I hope the weather isn't too bad for our friends in the north as the storm is heading that way Stock up on candles if you can in case the power lines come down.

Glad you got your tree up cranky, drive safely today .

Nannywindow I too will keep the little lad in mind in my chats to the Big Guy

another nice Christmassy song from Tru

Bad weather is a good time to sort your drawers and cupboards out ScarletRibbons

AoD keep well wrapped up I had an horrendous journey yesterday with buses as my drive was blocked by the postman with his blessed van, I have woken up this morning with a sniffly nose so I am not best pleased with our postie I emailed the local sorting office last night and if I see him today I shall be having a word or three with him Grrr a cold is not whats wanted at this time of the year ,or anytime come to that.

HolleyHarvey sounds like a duvet day ahead for you honey .

I have to nip to the bank to deposit a cheque.My late OH's lodge send me a cheque every year which is lovely of them Its to buy myself a few treats with so I will deposit it and than come home and have a think about what I will treat myself to.

Right ,time for some hot porridge and I will use up the last of the cream on top and a large cup of hot coffee to fortify myself before going out in the wind and rain .I have a thick coat so will layer up underneath and I also have a big wooly beret type hat my Dd bought me a couple of years ago which pulls down over my ears so I shall be muffled up to the eyes:0The bank is only about 5 minutes walk from my house so I shall be there and back pretty quickly I think

Have a good day chums what ever you are doing and keep warm and dry if possible

Cheers JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Dec 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 16,662 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Thank you for all your thoughts re OH's cousin, we heard from him last night after his son saw several messages on F***B***, they are all ok, the houses are safe although the air is awful full of smoke, thousands have lost their homes. He lives in the house his Mum and Dad had built back in the 70's, they worked so hard to buy it.

Forecast is for snow, so I am going to do a quick trip into Aldi, will get enough to see us through Christmas.

Tomorrow is D day the shed is going up and we have the lunch at the chapel. We have escaped damage from the storm, OH was afraid the shed propped against the wall would take off, but its ok, I moved the bin containing the compost round to put against it.

Right, off for my trip into town......
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Dec 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 20,746 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Only just seen your thread about that poor little lad NW my thoughts are with his family and friends x
    AOD you made me laugh out loud with your comment about being the evil emperor

Mild but very windy and wet here, my phone pinged early doors with a message from the yard manager to say the horses would be staying in all day, my girlie won't be happy at all but understand why it's been done.
    WM is chugging away with the towels wash, they can be tumble dried for once and then will pop out for a few fresh bits and dog food.
    Yesterday I put my details forward to AgeUk as a possible Befriender in the Community, I admit it was prompted by their latest advert but I have been thinking about doing some volunteer work for a while and that really resounded with me, fingers crossed am accepted.
    Right, WM is paying its little tune so all done, have a good day folks and keep safe in this tricky weather x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 12,169 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    Nelski
    Hey house-mates

Just been catching up with the jungle as I fell asleep at 9.30 last night Anyway really sad Stanley is ditched and the sneaky snake Amir gets to stay.

Outside alarm at 6.20 again this morning guess I will just have to make it my time to get up.......Really hope they manage to get a lovely long lie in at the weekend......NOT

Really fancied scampi last night so had that with chips and beans must have been hungry as I somehow managed a portion meant for two

Not pleased with the weather forecast today ...a few of us are off to the Manchester Christmas markets today partly to visit our friend who has a cupcake and Christmas goodies hut and partly to discuss our book choices....mmmm that may not happen. We are all going on the train so no doubt will be sampling the gluevein and hot dogs just really hope the rain stays off. Cold is no problem but rain

Holly well done on getting out and about but be careful you dont want to make it worse

Tru get that idea patented quick sounds like a winner

Gers your mum makes me laugh but I can see her logic

Right best crack on have a warm and cosy day all
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    • 12,169 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    Nelski
    Yesterday I put my details forward to AgeUk as a possible Befriender in the Community, I admit it was prompted by their latest advert but I have been thinking about doing some volunteer work for a while and that really resounded with me, fingers crossed am accepted.
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Good for you Lainey I did exactly the same last year prompted by an advert too and its extremely rewarding. You will need two references and I think they do background checks to make sure you are not a closet criminal Prepare for a wait though it was months before I got my first match as I think they try hard to match lots of things like hobbies interests and location. Anyway pm me if you want any more info.

nanny sorry i missed your news too ...that is so sad. Hoping for a good outcome.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    • 15,463 Posts
    • 63,863 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

It's a bit breezy out there, the wind has been howling all night, I even had to close the bedroom window as it was too noisy!
    Sod me your hardy. Here's me thinking of taping me letterbox shut just in case it lets any warmth out... not that it flaps or anything.

Messages back from SA this morning. Today is the day my daughter and her partner has changed from a family of 4 to a family of 5.

The deed has been done...

She sent me some pictures yesterday, although they had been keeping up with the childs progress they hadnt met her till yesterday she had been fostered in Johannesburg. One of the pictures upset me. I asked about the little girl on the far left... Well apparently she has no arms or legs.

I am shaken to the core by it. Words cannot express how i feel.

Moving on as i dare not dwell on it...

All is well with me.... I think. Well me steam mop has given up the ghost but thats hardly news headlines.

Gutted that Stanley has gone out of the jungle though i could see him visibly shrinking before my eyes. I want that scoundrel Dennis out next, i wanted him first out. He's a bully.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all,
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 7th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 5,662 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I knew you lot would come up trumps. You are such a lovely, caring bunch.
    Anyway on to today, it's DD's birthday . Unfortunately she has to go to work so everyone's coming here later for a birthday tea. I made her cake yesterday and iced it this morning, so I only have to finish off the decoration this afternoon. I also have to sort out the dining room so that I can open out the table. I will have to ask Mr Fix It for help as the table weighs a ton. " They don't make them like that any more "
    Judi I wish there were more people in this world like your DD and her partner.
    Gers to your Mum, that's the sort of thing I would do too, but I'm not German, just a bit OCD
    Csarina glad your family are OK
    LaineyT good on you for volunteering.
    TA if your reading along, please get well soon.
    Right coffee break over, must get back to doing something.
    Stay safe and warm everyone. Hugs all round.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Dec 17, 12:37 PM
    • 15,463 Posts
    • 63,863 Thanks
    Judi
    I need a couple of strips of wood and some wood glue...with any luck no one will notice...
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Dec 17, 2:53 PM
    • 10,036 Posts
    • 107,820 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Really fancied scampi last night so had that with chips and beans
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Does it speak volumes about me that on reading this, I immediately thought of Tru's dog?

*Sigh* I thought I'd gotten away with it - but Mr LW has just hoiked the box of tat decs out of the loft. I'd hoped to spend the next couple of hours on my online course, too....
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 7th Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 20,156 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Afternoon all,

Had a lovely morning watching DGS at his nativity,it was just nursery and Reception children & was an absolute joy to watch.He was a Star and I had a mild panic this morning when it came to getting him ready as the white jogging bottoms DS got off the internet were massive round the waist ( he's tall for his age but skinny) so I hastily had to take them in.He was a very enthusiastic Star and I was dreading the pants sliding off his skinny bum DH decided to come as well as today was no day to be breaking through someones roof to put a dormer in
    After some lunch we went and got a meal deal and restocked on toilet rolls.The heavens opened when we came out of Marks,hailstones brr.

Enjoy your gluhwein Nelski,our trip has been put off till DH has finished this job so will depend on the weather
    I've been a good girl and cleaned the oven- it kept smoking & I still couldnt see why really.The chicken from the mealdeal is in now.

Tru, I should experiment a bit more with my crotcheting,my Sis-i-L
    does really fancy patterns.I think I just like something I dont need to concentrate on too hard whilst watching tv but glad your coasters worked out
    Csarina- glad you've heard positive news from USA.
    Nanny window- thinking and praying for the poor little boy,heartbreaking.
    Judi to DD and partner but such a shame for the little girl.

Hope everyone has a cosy evening x
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Dec 17, 5:11 PM
    • 5,959 Posts
    • 35,563 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening all.

Itís been dark for most of the day apart from when the sky went black twice. One very heavy rain shower and one hail storm.

Did some shopping for DM this morning and then took my crumpled car into the body shop. A staff member from the car hire company came to collect me, drove me back to their company where I picked up a nice Nissan Quashqai. At a guess Iíll have it for about a week.

Lovely pics from SA Judi.

I hope everyone is safe and warm.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin