Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Dec 17, 10:23 PM
    • 6,362Posts
    • 4,866Thanks
    ohreally
    SORN status?????
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:23 PM
    SORN status????? 6th Dec 17 at 10:23 PM
    I transferred the insurance from a 4x4 that I didn't require to be on the road, approx. May 17 (MOT valid Nov and Tax till Dec). I disposed of a car Oct 17 and transferred the insurance policy to the 4x4 and MOT'd it last week.

On checking Gov site the 4x4 is showing as SORN (due to tax by the look of things) but the tax is valid until 12/17.

Why is it shown as SORN when all tax, mot and insurance is valid and in date?

Am I required to inform of anything?
Page 2
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 7th Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 308 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    OP - are you actually driving the 4X4 on the road?

If so then I would suggest that you get it taxed immediately before you get caught & fined.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 7th Dec 17, 11:26 AM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    Tilt
    Then I'm surprised you've not been fined by now.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Probably because his actions have 'confused' the system and as it's still SORNd, the DVLA will 'assume' it's not being driven on the road.

The OP obviously wrongly assumes that the vehicle has been 'taxed' during the period it's been out of use but of course by declaring as being SORN, the tax (as you say) automatically cancels until it's renewed again.

The problem with this system is that clearly a lot of motorists still don't fully understand how it works.

@ the OP; until you re-tax the car, you are currently in breach or the SORN declaration and if spotted by an ANPR camera, you expose yourself to a hefty fine.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    I would suggest that you get it taxed immediately before you get caught & fined.
    Originally posted by ciderboy2009
    No, itís SORNíd remember.
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 7th Dec 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    Tilt
    No, itís SORNíd remember.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    So to clarify, the car is not currently being used or kept on the road?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 7th Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    You disposed of a car a couple of months ago, transferred the insurance to the 4x4 (and got it MOTd recently), but you aren't using the 4x4 on the roads as it is "still" SORNd?

A bit more background about your reasoning might be helpful...

ETA: crossposted with Tilt
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 07-12-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: crosspost
    • DSmiffy
    • By DSmiffy 7th Dec 17, 11:44 AM
    • 740 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    DSmiffy
    If it is SORNed it means it is NOT taxed.

If it states on the .gov.uk site that it is sorn'ed and you are driving it, expect it to be clamped very soon.

I have just had this experience with a van which was untaxed, came out one day and it had been clamped.

Cost £100 to get it removed and before that I had to tax it before they would come to remove the clamp.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 7th Dec 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    If it is SORNed it means it is NOT taxed.

If it states on the .gov.uk site that it is sorn'ed and you are driving it, expect it to be clamped very soon.

I have just had this experience with a van which was untaxed, came out one day and it had been clamped.

Cost £100 to get it removed and before that I had to tax it before they would come to remove the clamp.
    Originally posted by DSmiffy

OP is very cryptic but I think he is saying (or perhaps claiming) that it's not being used on the roads because it is still Sorn'd. (ETA: Post #23 - OP said "remember")

If OP didn't get a refund upon SORN - which he seems to be saying - best advice seems to be (1) chase up the refund [as a previous poster suggested] and (2) get it taxed!
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 07-12-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Clarification
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 7th Dec 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I've no doubt missed a post but I am confused as to why the OP asks in post #1 "why is the vehicle showing as SORN'd...?" and in post #23 says it "is SORN'd remember".

Are you saying you never put it on SORN, or are you saying you did and never got a refund, or are you saying you can't remember??

More clarity about what you've actually done would help.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 12:27 PM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I wonder if the confusion has arisen because whatever the OP used to view the vehicle enquiry site incorrectly cached the result page - so showed an out-of-date result when he re-viewed it.

If the car was SORNed, and that made the Continuous Insurance breach go away, then it quite simply would not have shown as taxed thereafter. The OP started the thread saying it showed as SORNed and taxed, remember... Yet when they PMd me the reg, and I checked, it was just a straight SORNing showing.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    I’m afraid there is nothing cryptic to find here, car is surplus and on drive, has been for months, sitting with mot and until very recently appeared to be taxed.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 1:59 PM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    @ the OP; until you re-tax the car, you are currently in breach or the SORN declaration and if spotted by an ANPR camera, you expose yourself to a hefty fine.
    Originally posted by Tilt
    How many ANPR cameras would you recon are on my drive? No confusion here.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 7th Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    cjdavies
    I’m afraid there is nothing cryptic to find here, car is surplus and on drive, has been for months, sitting with mot and until very recently appeared to be taxed.
    I can only advise to check again:
    https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Can you send a screenshot, but blank out the car reg?

Reading you OP again, do you remember doing a SORN? If not contact DVLA who may be able to help providing the date and how it was done.
    https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla

In reltion to the continuous insurance:
    https://www.mib.org.uk/reducing-uninsured-driving/continuous-insurance-enforcement/
    Last edited by cjdavies; 07-12-2017 at 2:21 PM.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 7th Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Iím afraid there is nothing cryptic to find here, car is surplus and on drive, has been for months, sitting with mot and until very recently appeared to be taxed.

I hate to appear to be rude (as posters are often accused of) but your posts are quite cryptic. You didn't mention in your OP that the vehicle was "surplus" and was sitting on your drive rather than being on the road. I think most posters have made the reasonable inference that you were wanting to use the 4x4 on the road and that you couldn't understand why it was showing up as SORN'd when you had never done that. (I'm not clear if you have agreed you SORN'd it or not, but many of the posters on here think that you must have).

Also your reply in post #23 that you don't use it on the roads because "it's SORN'd remember" is a bit cryptic as the limitations of the interweb mean we don't know if that's a literal answer or an ironic one (ie I haven't SORN'd it but DVLA say it is!).

Rather than saying there are no ANPR cameras on your drive, why not explain fully what your difficulty in this situation is? eg - you never SORN'd the car but DVLA think it is. If the car is surplus and it's off road, what's the problem?

Seems a bit of a drip feed to me (sorry if that's rude - the OP has a lot more posts and thanks than I have!)
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I can only advise to check again:
    https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Can you send a screenshot, but blank out the car reg?
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    The OP PMd me the reg. It showed perfectly normally as SORNed, and MOTed last week.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 7th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    The OP PMd me the reg. It showed perfectly normally as SORNed, and MOTed last week.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

OK. But the OP asked "why" it was showing as SORN'd. The implication (to me at least) is that the OP never SORN'd it (or can't remember doing so) so wants to know why it shows up as SORN'd.

It all seems as if not sufficient info in the op to me. Or does he want us (or you AdrianC) to confirm whether or not it's SORN'd .

I believe he's been RK for 11 years, so ought to know...

We'd certainly want to know the status of our car.
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 07-12-2017 at 4:22 PM. Reason: Addition
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 4:22 PM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Well, he's already told us he SORNed it when DVLA sent him the Continuous Insurance bollocking...
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    Seems a bit of a drip feed to me (sorry if that's rude - the OP has a lot more posts and thanks than I have!)
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    No offence taken, I have broad shoulders.

I'll sort this out over the weekend.
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 7th Dec 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    I'll sort this out over the weekend.

From post 13, if you made the SORN in respect of the insurance, it will also cancel the vehicle licence as well, and why the DVLA record shows SORN.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    From post 13, if you made the SORN in respect of the insurance, it will also cancel the vehicle licence as well, and why the DVLA record shows SORN.
    Originally posted by Rover Driver
    It didn't though, through the summer the vehicle check showed as taxed, its only recently this appears to have changed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin