Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Dec 17, 10:23 PM
    • 6,362Posts
    • 4,866Thanks
    ohreally
    SORN status?????
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:23 PM
    SORN status????? 6th Dec 17 at 10:23 PM
    I transferred the insurance from a 4x4 that I didn't require to be on the road, approx. May 17 (MOT valid Nov and Tax till Dec). I disposed of a car Oct 17 and transferred the insurance policy to the 4x4 and MOT'd it last week.

On checking Gov site the 4x4 is showing as SORN (due to tax by the look of things) but the tax is valid until 12/17.

Why is it shown as SORN when all tax, mot and insurance is valid and in date?

Am I required to inform of anything?
Page 1
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 6th Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Tilt
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    I transferred the insurance from a 4x4 that I didn't require to be on the road, approx. May 17 (MOT valid Nov and Tax till Dec). I disposed of a car Oct 17 and transferred the insurance policy to the 4x4 and MOT'd it last week.

On checking Gov site the 4x4 is showing as SORN (due to tax by the look of things) but the tax is valid until 12/17.

Am I required to inform of anything?
    Originally posted by ohreally
    Can we clarify that in May this year you "transferred" (thus cancelling cover) your insurance from a 4x4 to another car? If so, did you declare the 4x4 as SORNd?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 6:35 AM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:35 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:35 AM
    Yes........
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 7th Dec 17, 7:28 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:28 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:28 AM
    When you declared SORN any remaining tax would have been refunded to the RK.

You need to re-tax the car.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    I can't even think how that would be displayed on the vehicle enquiry site. When it shows it's SORNed, you just get a green block with SORN and a tick. No date. Further down, it says "Vehicle status: SORN in place".

Screenshot? PM the reg?

You are checking on... https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ ...right?

SORN/Tax is a simple three-way choice.
    It's taxed - or - It's SORNed - or - It's unlicenced.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    Check pm...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    The OP's PMd me the reg - and it checks out perfectly normally. SORNed (no date shown), MOT expires Nov 18.

I can only think that it was a different site being checked...

OP - I can't reply by PM, as your storage is full...
    Silver 1.8 petrol Mitsubishi?

On the official gov't site, I'm not seeing anything but "SORN", no date, and the MOT expires on 24/Nov/18... having been tested on 25/Nov/17 at 110k miles, no advisories (from the official MOT history site).

Exactly what you'd expect to see...

What site did you check on?
    Last edited by AdrianC; 07-12-2017 at 9:03 AM.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 9:14 AM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:14 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:14 AM

What site did you check on?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    The gov vehicle enquiries site.

Iím on the road today so may need to catchup as sndvwhen.

Thanks.
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    Any thoughts on why Sorn is showing then?
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 9:34 AM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Any thoughts on why Sorn is showing then?
    Because, from what you've said, that's correct.

You must have SORNed it when it wasn't insured - because you would have had a continuous insurance penalty through by now otherwise. Taxed cars must be insured - that's been legally in place since 2011.
    You MOTd and insured it over the last few weeks... but you don't mention re-taxing it.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 9:45 AM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    The tax was never cancelled and all summer the tax status showed tax until 31/12/17.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 9:50 AM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The tax was never cancelled and all summer the tax status showed tax until 31/12/17.
    Then I'm surprised you've not been fined by now.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 10:02 AM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    Then I'm surprised you've not been fined by now.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Why as the tax was never cancelled. The sorn declaration was solely due to the cars insurance being transferred to another car. After this DVLA lettered to inform that as the insurance was no longer applicable I should reinsure or Sorn, which I did, tax status for the test of the year showed as taxes until 31/12. The tax has not been an issue.

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 10:07 AM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    SORN means it is not taxed. When you SORNed it, the tax was cancelled, and DVLA sent the registered keeper a refund cheque for any remaining complete months of tax.

It cannot be SORNed and taxed.

Like I said earlier - they are two of the three choices for one thing.
    What's the tax status? Taxed - or - SORN - or - unlicenced. If it's taxed, it must be insured. If it's not insured, it must be SORNed.

If it is taxed and uninsured, then you will be due a fine, if you don't heed the warning. You got the warning - you heeded it by SORNing the car. This cancelled the tax.

Whether the refund cheque went awol in the post is another question entirely.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 7th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    Is the 4x4 registered to you OP?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 10:19 AM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    Is the 4x4 registered to you OP?
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    Ive owned it 11 years. Iím the registered keeper.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Ive owned it 11 years. Iím the registered keeper.
    And the address on the V5C is the right one?
    No more recent V5C been issued (the doc ref on the one you have checks out at the vehicle enquiry site? Click on "View tax rates")
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    There have been no changes to documentation. All summer following the sorn declaration the vehicle showed as still being taxed.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 6,362 Posts
    • 4,866 Thanks
    ohreally
    I think I’ll sort this when the tax/ sorn renewal drops on the mat.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    It's currently showing as SORNed. SORN doesn't need renewing, so you won't ever get a renewal notice.

Just tax it on the V5C doc ref, and get on with life. Chase the refund cheque with DVLA, if you've got proof of SORNing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

2,692Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin