Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Green hopeful
    • By Green hopeful 6th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 162Thanks
    Green hopeful
    Repurposing a piano?
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    Repurposing a piano? 6th Dec 17 at 9:15 PM
    Hi.

We have an upright piano. It's 1920s I think. It's quite pretty but the keys are peeling their ivory and it is massively out of tune. We don't play it. I spoke to the piano tuner and he said no one really wants old pianos.

I looked at the internet and wondered about repurposing it as something else. There are quite a lot of pictures on the internet but I am not sure what would be best/doable for a beginner.

What do you think would be most fun, bar, book case, desk, aquarium, reptile tank.

Do you think it is worth repurposing before trying to sell it?
Page 1
    • JamesO
    • By JamesO 6th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    JamesO
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • By googler 6th Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    • 14,471 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    googler
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    Does the tuner reckon it's beyond tuning?

If not, then any tuner/tech worth his salt should be able to source replacement key tops and get it back to playing condition.

Doesn't anyone in your family want to play it?
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 7th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 2,516 Posts
    • 2,699 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    Unless it is one of a very few high quality makers (Steinway etc) you won't sell it - you might be able to give it away, but may end up paying someone to take it.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 7th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    Mistral001
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    Has it got an iron frame?
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 7th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 23,350 Posts
    • 90,728 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    People do want old pianos if they are in tune - did the tuner say it wasn't worth the hassle, or just that you wouldn't be able to sell it?

A friend travelled the best part of 200 miles a few months ago to pick up a lovely 1930s piano, including paying a bunch of us to help him get it up 3 flights of stairs to his flat - he didn't even know if it was playable until he got there, but loved the look and feel of it.

If you absolutely must do 'something', a bookcase would do least damage and have the widest appeal. If your walls are strong, taking out the string assembly and mounting on a wall gives a lovely sculptural piece of art that has sound (as per the Sound Garden principle).
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Dec 17, 6:33 AM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 38,784 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 8th Dec 17, 6:33 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 6:33 AM
    My daughter has an old piano, she had it turned and it works fine, her 13 year old has lessons the others just bash about on it. She paid £160 including delivery.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,562Posts Today

7,638Users online

Martin's Twitter