Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 6th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 2,629Posts
    • 416Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    A seller who doesn't accept returns?
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    A seller who doesn't accept returns? 6th Dec 17 at 9:01 PM
    I'm not sure if it's policy that they have to accept returns or not or whether it depends on the circumstances. I recently had an item i wanted to return & initially they wouldn't accept it but eBay made them. That was because the part ordered was advertised totally wrong.

The item i'm on about right now is a dipstick for a Ford Focus MK1. The advert heading was for a MK1 1.6 16v Ford Focus dipstick. The description mentions it being from a 1.8 16v.

Story short it's too long. The seller mentions that they don't accept returns. I'm not sure whether i have grounds to return or not? As the heading was for a 1.6 16v MK1 Focus which this car is but the description mentioned a 1.8 16v.

Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 6th Dec 17, 9:31 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:31 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:31 PM
    They have to accept the return if they loose the case regardless of what they say in the listing. But you say eBay forced them to accept the return, so what really is your question?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • Pun
    • By Pun 6th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Pun
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    A business seller has to accept returns with or without a reason.

A private seller must indicate in their listing if they accept returns and if so any conditions attached to a return. Even if they say 'no returns', they may still have to accept a return if an item is not described correctly - which seems to be the case here.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 6th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    As for whether they're a business or not i don't know but they have 1500 feedback

They currently have over 800 items for sale and have had 400 positives left within the past 12 months.

I don't know if they have to specifically be listed as a business though because this is quite clearly selling more than your odds & sods.
    But you say eBay forced them to accept the return, so what really is your question?
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    I recently had an item i wanted to return
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    The item i'm on about right now
    Two different cases.

• ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 6th Dec 17, 10:13 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:13 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:13 PM
    Whether they are a business seller or not isn't relevant if you've opened a not as described case and won.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 6th Dec 17, 10:19 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:19 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:19 PM
    The case i opened and won was from a few weeks ago. I referenced it because i thought maybe the circumstances were a bit different and wondered if it mattered.

I wasn't aware mentioning it would cause this much confusion so forget i did as it'll just be easier then going forward.

What is the correct procedure here then in this situation - do i click "request return" next to the item in my activity list under the leave feedback heading.

Or do i head to the bottom & go through the Resolution Centre straight away?

Hmm i know i said ignore the previous case - but in that i went through the resolution centre as the seller was refusing to pay for the return postage & said i needed to pay for it. In the end eBay made them pay it.

• ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 6th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    If you click request return and choose the correct option - not as described - then the seller is forced to pay the return anyhow.
    • Pun
    • By Pun 6th Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Pun
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    As for whether they're a business or not i don't know but they have 1500 feedback
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    Look at the top right hand of the listing - there is a grey box saying 'Seller information'. If the seller is registered with ebay as a business seller, it will say so at the bottom of that grey box.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Dec 17, 11:05 PM
    • 15,442 Posts
    • 38,780 Thanks
    elsien
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:05 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:05 PM
    If the title says one thing and the description another, did you not check which it was?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 7th Dec 17, 9:24 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    If the title says one thing and the description another, did you not check which it was?
    Originally posted by elsien
    Indeed. That part was my fault. I saw the title, looked at the photo & skimmed the description missing that bit.

But the seller admitted they should've done the listing properly and have refunded me which is nice

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

1,426Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin