Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BenGri
    • By BenGri 6th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BenGri
    Leaving Sky, but is it worth it?
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    Leaving Sky, but is it worth it? 6th Dec 17 at 8:27 PM
    So, i'm getting annoyed. I have a smart TV with all the gubbins, but i never use it because we have sky.

Teh smart TV has a hard drive attached allowing me to record as well (not sure if it can series record).

But my deal with sky is around £39 a month for BB, Phone and The basic package. Moving to BB and Phone is still at least £24 (looking at larger BB speeds so i can stream TV) .

I'll need to install an aerial as well (£40) + set up costs(£30), but i can get cashback to do something with that, i guess the saving over the year is approx £15 a month, but is it worth the hassle and potentially losing more channels. Has anyone else left sky for a "normal TV" and hard drive set up, do you regret it? is it worth it?
Page 1
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 7th Dec 17, 8:16 AM
    • 2,867 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:16 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:16 AM
    Only you can answer that question.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 7th Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    phillw
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    Has anyone else left sky for a "normal TV" and hard drive set up, do you regret it? is it worth it?
    Originally posted by BenGri
    I left sky for virgin and virgin for catchup 4 years ago when I was able to get a phone & broadband for £5 a month & no tv license rather than £50 a month for virgin & tv license. That was certainly worth it. I missed being able to record 3 channels at once and 30mb/s for a while, but the £10 nowtv box worked well enough. I set reminders on my phone to tell me what programmes to watch, rather than using a recorder (yes, my memory is that bad).

Deals aren't as good but you can get broadband and phone for around £10 a month depending on what cashback is available at the time, you have to look on quidco or topcashback though as MSE don't alert you to them. You have to be prepared to switch constantly to keep the price down.

Recorders are quite expensive, since getting a tv license I bought a couple of cheap youview boxes from ebay. I don't know if I've been unlucky but both died within a year. I'm back to only watching catch up at the moment.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 7th Dec 17, 12:41 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:41 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:41 PM
    Leaving Sky is always a good thing as you will not be paying anything to Rupert Murdoch.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,097 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    Last year I cancelled Sky tv,having taken my broadband and line elsewhere due to lack of offers, but was lured back by a very good one.
    However,during the two weeks we were switched off I didn't even get as far as dusting off the Humax as using the TV's smart facilities for the first time was novel enough, together with sufficient free to view coverage. (Incidentally iPlayer etc work fine at our 4-5.5Mbps speeds).

I have cancelled again and am unlikely to go back as the best offer I have had was the 50% offered at cancellation time;nothing but the pathetic 30% since.

I have realised that I was watching very little Sky content, beyond the odd boxed set to catch up with a series currently being aired and some films(I think I watched very few all the way through), so I may get the Humax out,but could make do with catchup ,repeats and +1serviceson the tv (though, unfortunately, ours is one of the fairly new Panasonc tvs which lost ITV Hub support,but the way round is to catch up on the other channels and watch ITV live.)
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 8th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 4,594 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    The only real need for Sky nowadays, is for Sport - and that is becoming harder to justify as BT pinch more and more mainstream sports.
    Films and TV series can be obtained in many other ways eg Amazon.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 8th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 3,022 Posts
    • 2,092 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    Wait - you pay for tv ?????
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter