Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sec79
    • By sec79 6th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    • 295Posts
    • 99Thanks
    sec79
    Freeview recorder confusion
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    Freeview recorder confusion 6th Dec 17 at 8:25 PM
    Hello

My mum used to connect her laptop to the TV using a cable, and that way could watch catch up tv. Now she's changed fibre provider the internet signal isn't strong enough to do this. The house is old and has solid stone walls which doesn't help either.

I thought purchasing a freeview recorder would solve this issue. I'm confused as to what type of machine / features she would need.

She would like to be able to record programmes and she does watch a lot of programmes on catch up tv, ie bbc I player.

For Ethernet ones, how do these connect to the internet please? The router is in a different room, so running a cable from one to room to another wouldn't work. If I go for a wifi enabled one, how would this connect please?

Looking for one which is easy to use. Any advice / recommendations much appreciated please.
Page 1
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 6th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    You want a Freeview Play or Humax Youview box. You could try using homeplugs to get the network connection from the router to the box without running wires between rooms.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 6th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 8,296 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    You want a Freeview Play or Humax Youview box. You could try using homeplugs to get the network connection from the router to the box without running wires between rooms.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    No , don't buy another Box , use homeplugs to the laptop.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 6th Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 8,296 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    Oh and if the previous router provided a good signal to her lappy via wifi then look to using that as a wireless router and the new one as a modem only.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 6th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • 636 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    As debit intimates, really no need to change how the TV is fed, and this will reduce any possible confusion or the need to learn another system.

Concentrate if you will on resolving why it now does not work.
    We presume that it is a new router provided by the new ISP of the fibre service.

Would you post the name of the previous ISP and the model of router that it used. It is often the case that the wireless signal from the old is better than the new and often it is simple to use the old router in addition to the new. A few simple changes to the old router and everything else remains as it was.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,922Users online

Martin's Twitter