Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • D.ashington
    • By D.ashington 6th Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    D.ashington
    Title deeds
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    Title deeds 6th Dec 17 at 8:04 PM
    Hi , I bought a house years ago with my partner . A few years later we parted . My name was never taken off the deeds so when he suddenly died the house transferred to me . The original mortgage is outstanding and me and my husband need to remortgage it . Does it matter if we make a joint mortgage proposal even if my name is the only one on the deeds
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    • 42,328 Posts
    • 49,166 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    If it's in joint names (presumably owned as 'Joint Tenants'?), and one owner has died, apply to have that name removed.

https://www.gov.uk/update-property-records-someone-dies

If owned as Tenants in Common of course, then the will becomes the relevant factor.
    Last edited by G_M; 06-12-2017 at 9:49 PM.
    • D.ashington
    • By D.ashington 6th Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    D.ashington
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    The deeds are in my name only but the remortgage will be joint . Will this be a problem
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 6th Dec 17, 10:48 PM
    • 6,285 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:48 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:48 PM
    It will restrict your choice of lenders. Do you actually want it to remain in your sole name for some reason?
    • D.ashington
    • By D.ashington 6th Dec 17, 11:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    D.ashington
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:01 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:01 PM
    It only really happened last month so I've felt pressure from the mortgage lender and all the bills need to be paid. I hadn't thought much about adding my husband's name to the deeds . As we're married he's my next of kin although this doesn't have much to do with the mortgage application
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 6th Dec 17, 11:05 PM
    • 6,285 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:05 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:05 PM
    It only really happened last month so I've felt pressure from the mortgage lender and all the bills need to be paid. I hadn't thought much about adding my husband's name to the deeds . As we're married he's my next of kin although this doesn't have much to do with the mortgage application
    Originally posted by D.ashington
    It would make things simpler if you put it into joint names. Generally mortgage lenders expect the owners and the borrowers to be one and the same.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • 42,328 Posts
    • 49,166 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    The deeds are in my name only but the remortgage will be joint . Will this be a problem
    Originally posted by D.ashington
    Then I'm not sure of the relevance of the history of previous ownership.... a red herring.

As others have said, lenders expect mortgage and ownership to be in same name(s).
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Dec 17, 7:33 AM
    • 14,249 Posts
    • 38,583 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:33 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:33 AM
    Does his Will specify his house is being left to you?
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,620Posts Today

5,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin