Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cherry_leopard
    • By cherry_leopard 6th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cherry_leopard
    Please help! Dual fixed rate going up
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    Please help! Dual fixed rate going up 6th Dec 17 at 7:42 PM
    Hi all,

Really hoping someone can advise me what to do. I switched to Eon 1 year fixed rate v9 by using the Energy SavingClub on here in June. The direct debit was set at £59.60 and has been coming out every month.

I got an email last week asking to enter meter readings, which I did last night. This morning i got an email saying that they need to increase my direct debit to £108 in January (this is the rate that it would go up to at the end of the 1 year fixed rate in June 18).

The email said we could switch to a 'high user rate'. There are only 2 adults living in this house who are out working full time - we use the washing machine a couple of times a week and in evenings we spend time in one room with one lamp and the TV on. Of course heating is on in the evenings and mornings sometimes.

I really don't understand why its going up so much and how this can happen during the fixed rate period?? I find it really difficult deciphering energy bills

Can anyone advise what i should do?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by cherry_leopard; 06-12-2017 at 7:53 PM.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    I am not sure what you mean by ‘high user rate’ but the underlying principle is that you will only pay for the energy that you USE at the agreed tariff rate. It would seem that when you provided E.oN with actual meter readings it re-calculated your annual projected usage; hence, the higher monthly DD payment. The only things that are fixed are the term; unit charge and standing charge. Use more: pay more.

For example, let us assume that my assessed annual usage is £720 per year or £60 per month. I provided the supplier with meter readings and it assessed that my annual cost would be closer to £840 per year.

With 6 months to run, the revised DD calculation is £840 less £360 paid/ 6 months or £80 per month.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 6th Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 1,875 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    This sounds like the usual problem of someone who doesn't check their bills or statements, doesn't send in regular meter readings and is happily accepting estimated bills and not getting them corrected.

The assumption is that everything is OK until the day that the energy company get an actual reading and can then do a proper calculation.

That's when it becomes apparent that there's more energy being used than the DD has been paying for so the account is in arrears.

The DD then has to be readjusted upwards to avoid the arrears getting even larger.

What tariff are you on and what sort of heating have you got gas or electric. If it's electric what sort - panel heaters, storage heaters or even a wet boiler
    Last edited by matelodave; 06-12-2017 at 9:44 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 7th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 3,863 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    Hi all,

Really hoping someone can advise me what to do. I switched to Eon 1 year fixed rate v9 by using the Energy SavingClub on here in June. The direct debit was set at £59.60 and has been coming out every month.

I got an email last week asking to enter meter readings, which I did last night. This morning i got an email saying that they need to increase my direct debit to £108 in January (this is the rate that it would go up to at the end of the 1 year fixed rate in June 18).

The email said we could switch to a 'high user rate'. There are only 2 adults living in this house who are out working full time - we use the washing machine a couple of times a week and in evenings we spend time in one room with one lamp and the TV on. Of course heating is on in the evenings and mornings sometimes.

I really don't understand why its going up so much and how this can happen during the fixed rate period?? I find it really difficult deciphering energy bills

Can anyone advise what i should do?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by cherry_leopard
    You should read and digest this informative MSE article

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 8th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    Good morning cherry_leopard,

Thank you all for the help so far.

It sounds like you've not been quite enough for the amount of energy that you're using.

Even though you're on a fixed tariff, this means that the unit prices are fixed and won't change but the Direct Debit can increase or decrease if you use more or less energy. There's lots of information on the website about how this works.

I would suggest putting your meter reads on to your account once a month and producing a real time bill or balance, this means you can keep a close eye on your account and it will always be accurate.

If you do need more help though, please just ask.

Thank you.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,365Posts Today

7,959Users online

Martin's Twitter