Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Guillemot Undecided
    • By Guillemot Undecided 6th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Guillemot Undecided
    Employment contract and bonus pay- pro-rata...
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    Employment contract and bonus pay- pro-rata... 6th Dec 17 at 7:25 PM
    Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice and clarification re: my employment contract relating to bonus payments.

I am in a sales role and my sales targets are set every 6 months with a corresponding commission payment agreed, to be paid at a specified rate at the end of the 6 month period.

My commission agreement to be signed every 6 months, when new targets are set specifies that "...a pro-rata bonus/commission of £xxx amount will be paid for this 6 month period..."

My question is, what happens if I leave 3 months through this 6 month period agreement that I have agreed to?

As an illustration of this question, let's say for argument's sake that my agreed bonus payment is £10,000 commission for hitting a sales target of £1,000,000.
    Half way through this 6 month period, I leave the employment of this company and at this point I have achieved £750,000 in sales (so, three quarters of my sales target achieved in half of the six month period). Based on this 'pro-rata' agreement I signed, how much commission would I get paid??

I look forward immensely to some clarification.

Thanks for reading!
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    • 4,162 Posts
    • 6,851 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    Nobody here can tell you. It's down to your employers policy. Pro rata in the case you put doesn't suggest time periods to me, but the percentage of the target you meet. Many employers don't pay commission or bonuses to leavers are all. You need to ask the employer
    • Guillemot Undecided
    • By Guillemot Undecided 6th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Guillemot Undecided
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    Thank you very much for your reply. Very interesting. I will speak to my employer directly about this.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 4,402 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:58 PM

My question is, what happens if I leave 3 months through this 6 month period agreement that I have agreed to?

Originally posted by Guillemot Undecided
    In all probability you will receive nothing. Everywhere I've worked any form of bonus was only paid to staff who were still employed on the date the bonus fell payable.
    When I worked at DWP there were a number of rounds of redundancy. Most of them had a leaving date of 30th June, or the last working day prior to that. Guess when bonus payments became due - Yup - 1st July.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,747Posts Today

7,337Users online

Martin's Twitter