Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sallyso
    • By Sallyso 6th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Sallyso
    Pension gaps?
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    Pension gaps? 6th Dec 17 at 6:34 PM
    I’d really appreciate any advice on the following.

I have large gaps in my national insurance record, currently I have 7 years full contributions. I have been with the new pension government scheme for 2 years paying the minimum. My query is, would it be best to pay some of the gaps (lumps sums) into my national insurance contributions or would it be more beneficial to pay large monthly payments into the new pension scheme from now on? I am 53 and my company pays 2%.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 6th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 6,194 Posts
    • 2,929 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    Be wary of paying for gaps prior to 2016, HMRC will willingly take your money, but you may not get much benefit out of it..

Quick Google results, but may help..

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-3535618/STEVE-WEBB-Buying-ups-paying-missing-NI-boost-state-pension.html

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-3627480/Can-pay-extra-NI-state-pension-155-65-week.html
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 23,653 Posts
    • 13,782 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    See https://www.royallondon.com/Global/documents/GoodWithYourMoney/TOPPING-UP-YOUR-STATE-PENSION-GUIDE.pdf
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 6th Dec 17, 8:23 PM
    • 5,281 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:23 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:23 PM
    Have you obtained a State Pension forecast, if so what did it say?

http://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
    A salary slave no more.....
    • Sallyso
    • By Sallyso 10th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sallyso
    • 10th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    The state pension forecast said I would get 83.60 a week if I worked for another 14 years.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Dec 17, 8:05 PM
    • 23,653 Posts
    • 13,782 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 10th Dec 17, 8:05 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 8:05 PM
    For somebody aged 53 you are very short on State Pension.

(Incidentally, are you clear in your mind on the difference between an auto enrolment pension and your state pension?)

Does your state pension forecast show a COPE?
    • Sallyso
    • By Sallyso 10th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sallyso
    • 10th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    No, I'm not clear about anything to be honest. All I want to do is try and make some kind of provision for when I retire (if I ever can) . I was out of the country for many years (not working) so I am very confused about all the changes. I know that they are two separate pensions (one my company is obliged by law to pay a minimum of 1% and the government will match what I choose to pay) but that is about as much I know. My state pension forecast does not show COPE. Many thanks for your help.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 10th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 9,896 Posts
    • 6,673 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 10th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    It might be best to refer to the State Retirement Pension - what used to be called the Old Age Pension - and call the other one your Occupational Pension. The latter should be quite attractive for someone who is 53 because the money becomes available to you at 55 - a comfort in case of emergency.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • Sallyso
    • By Sallyso 10th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sallyso
    • 10th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    Thank you kidmugsy. I could put into the occupational pension aprox 300 pounds a month now so perhaps this is the way to go?
    • AlanP
    • By AlanP 10th Dec 17, 9:50 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    AlanP
    No, I'm not clear about anything to be honest. All I want to do is try and make some kind of provision for when I retire (if I ever can) . I was out of the country for many years (not working) so I am very confused about all the changes. I know that they are two separate pensions (one my company is obliged by law to pay a minimum of 1% and the government will match what I choose to pay) but that is about as much I know. My state pension forecast does not show COPE. Many thanks for your help.
    Originally posted by Sallyso
    The Gov't won't match what you choose to pay in, they will give you tax relief on your contribution so for a basic rate taxpayer 20%.

To get the best help from all on here I would suggest that you provide more information.

Other pensions ( I guess not), other savings, homeowner / mortgage / renting, other half / dependents, income, tax rate, debt etc.

Not trying to be nosy but looking at pension on it's own without considering the overall situation can mean things are missed.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Dec 17, 9:58 PM
    • 17,480 Posts
    • 11,706 Thanks
    molerat
    On the face of it buying missing years will add to your pension. How many years are available to buy, if some of those years part full they could be extremely good value. A full breakdown of what your forecast states would help give a better picture. You have until at least April 2019 to consider the options on those years.
    Last edited by molerat; 10-12-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Sallyso
    • By Sallyso 10th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sallyso
    Many thanks for your help AlanP. At the moment I'm renting but I will eventually inherit my Mother's house. (approx £270.000) I'm single, no dependents, income £19,000 net, tax rate 20%, no debt, savings £35,000 and will inherit £50,000 cash approx.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

430Posts Today

2,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin