Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Would you buy a house without a bath?

YES

53.25% • 131 votes

NO

46.75% • 115 votes

You may not vote on this poll

246 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • flameshouse
    • By flameshouse 6th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 4Thanks
    flameshouse
    Would you buy a house without a bath??
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    Would you buy a house without a bath?? 6th Dec 17 at 6:21 PM
    I have a small 2 bed house with a tiny bathroom, like tiny, the sink overhangs the bath. I'm having the bathroom ripped back to brick and done from scratch, but i'm considering removing the bath and having a large shower cubicle instead... as this is a "first time buyers" kind of house, and thinking about young kids, would removing the bath completely put anyone off/lower the value?
    Last edited by flameshouse; 06-12-2017 at 7:11 PM.
Page 1
    • aneary
    • By aneary 6th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    aneary
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    I’m single looking for a two bed property as a first time buyer. I like showers but I dismiss all properties without a bath. Much easier to add a shower over a bath than put a bath into a shower room.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 6th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    Personally we prefer a nice large shower cubicle to a bath with shower over but we're in the minority. For most people with young kids it would would probably be a deal breaker to not have a bath.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 6th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    We have a tiny downstairs bathroom. When we had it refitted we kept the bath but had: mini handbasin sink (no overhang), a deeper strong bottom bath shorter than standard length (suitable for showering or occasional bath) and a toilet that has a smaller cistern.

People with v young kids and possibly older people who cannot stand long may be put off if no bath, but can fit a shower seat in to solve latter. We decided to make ours as trad as possible to appeal to everyone but not spend too much because in our house it's the disappointing feature. It still sold despite that!
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 60,949 Posts
    • 356,012 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    A shower screams "TINY HOUSE". A small/tight bathroom doesn't.

I'd not buy one without a bath. A bath is what you have in a "proper house".
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 14,195 Posts
    • 38,496 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    On the other hand - speaking as someone that has a tiny bathroom in current house - and I have one of those huge walk-in shower cubicles and would say that just as many people (maybe more) would be put off by there being a bath as by there not being a bath.

eg Those who have (or fear in the future) having problems in accessing a bath

Those who cba to clean baths and/or are worried about leaning over to clean baths (because they've done their back in before and are worried it might happen again).

Horses for courses I would say.

EDIT; A friend of mine recently ripped out one of those huge walk-in showers (not long after she'd had it done!!!!!) from one of her bathrooms to allow for bathing young grandchildren. Personally - I was astonished and thought how it's always possible to get one of those HUGE garden trug things that are multi-purpose and bathe a very small child in one of them temporarily.

The other possibility, of course, is to have a shower slider rail that allows for the shortest to the tallest people (dependant on where the showerhead is set on this rail). It slides up for tall people and right down for those of 2 year old or so height. Job done.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 06-12-2017 at 6:39 PM.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 15,415 Posts
    • 38,696 Thanks
    elsien
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    Single person, no kids. If I had to choose I'd choose bath over a shower every time. Can't beat a long relaxing soak with a book. And I have the shower attachment over the bath if I just want to hose myself down.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 6th Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    • 1,823 Posts
    • 3,804 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    Bath over shower here too.

If there wasn't a bath I'd deduct the cost of refitting the bathroom from any offer.

If there was some randomly short bath I'd be recosting that too. Even as a shorty a bath needs to be a proper size.

No room for a bath would be an absolute deal breaker.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 6th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 9,997 Posts
    • 15,827 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    Whoops, the question in the poll is worded opposite to the thread title so I voted wrongly. For clarification, yes not having a bath would put me off a house or flat, and no I wouldn't buy a home that didn't have a bath.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 6th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 6,457 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    No young kids here either. I think I can speak for DH when I say that if we had to choose, we would both always opt for a bath instead of a shower. You can't relax with wine/book etc in a shower, lol!

No space for a bath would be a dealbreaker for us.

We're fortunate to have both in this house and I can honestly say the shower only gets used for dog washing or when DS & GF visit

Last house was the same. We had three bath/shower rooms and tbh the showers were a waste of money.

Regarding older/infirm users, my parents had their decent-sized bathroom in their 1920s house converted to a wetroom when they were in their late seventies. When we had to sell their house the young couple that bought it weren't remotely put off by the lack of bath.......
    Last edited by phoebe1989seb; 06-12-2017 at 6:50 PM.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 6th Dec 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    I voted in answer to the thread title as I assumed the poll question would be the same rather than the opposite so my 'yes' vote should have been a no
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 6th Dec 17, 6:57 PM
    • 7,671 Posts
    • 8,282 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Unless you are going to be there for a short while fit whatever suits your lifestyle rather than trying to double guess what some unknown purchaser might want.
    It wouldn’t bother me and even if i wanted a bath, that’s easy to fit, and your house without one might still beat another one with a bath.
    • Silvester89
    • By Silvester89 6th Dec 17, 6:58 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Silvester89
    We're lucky enough to be able to fit both in our bathroom. We've got a walk in shower and a standalone roll top bath.

I genuinely haven't had a bath in years though. It probably wouldn't put me off much personally, but like people have said, you're potentially alienating a lot of people who either have kids or might want kids in the future.

I can see why you'd consider it though. Ours probably only gets used a handful of times a year!
    • MRPEEVED
    • By MRPEEVED 6th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MRPEEVED
    I have just bought a house with only a shower. Doesn't bother me but my daughter loves a bath so we will be having a brand new bathroom fitted. Rest of the house is big. I voted 'no' it wouldn't and hasn't put me off.
    • flameshouse
    • By flameshouse 6th Dec 17, 7:14 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    flameshouse
    Ha! thanks for all the responses, interesting to read through... a few of you out there like wine in the tub, or maybe a tub full of wine?!
    as many of you have said, i guess having a bath covers both preferences, so i'll design it around a new bath!

p.s I changed the title of the post
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 6th Dec 17, 7:28 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    Autumnella
    I have a 3 and 4 year old and wouldn't mind not having a bath. I would just shower them. I never ever have baths. A friend of mine rented a house without a bath when her kids were similar aged to mine too.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    We've just bought a 4 bed house that has a purpose fitted wet room. We would prefer there to be a bath there, but we're not moving in for a couple of years. We've just rented it out, it took a while to find somebody to rent it, the lack of bath did put some people off.

We're thinking of converting one of the single bedrooms into an en-suite bathroom with a bath and shower.

The lack of bath didn't stop us buying the house but we'd much preferred that it had one. Location over-rode that.
    • xekki
    • By xekki 6th Dec 17, 8:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    xekki
    I voted no in the poll and wouldn't consider it. My parents always said that a bath is a must in a house, not just for kids, but in case you got injured/sick that needed bathing (like just in case). However it's probably their old school ways.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 2,873 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Yes I would.

I removed my bath for a shower - it what I wanted that mattered not future buyers.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 6th Dec 17, 8:24 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 8,998 Thanks
    warby68
    I'd consider a house without a bath but not one without room to fit a bath.

Our household probably has 150 showers for each bath but when a bath is wanted, its priceless so I do prefer to have one.

I'd be very surprised if there weren't more people wanting baths than not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,062Posts Today

6,394Users online

Martin's Twitter