Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • juspsychojo
    • By juspsychojo 6th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 247Thanks
    juspsychojo
    Brightening a very dark hallway..
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    Brightening a very dark hallway.. 6th Dec 17 at 5:23 PM
    Hiii. I've been talking to my partner about ways to brighten our very dark hallway and I'm looking for further suggestions and advice please:

We have the exterior front door then a solid interior door which has a window above presumably to allow a little light through to the hall when the door is closed, it isn't very effective tho.

I don't think there's enough light in the hall for a standard wall mirror to make a difference so have discussed putting mirrors on the ceiling in the entrance to reflect the available light downward. Pic as an example if what I mean:

We've also discussed changing the interior door to one with glass panels as this will allow more light in- however! I don't want to lose all the heat through the glass: do they do interior doors with glass panels that maintain insulation? Do they cost a fortune?

The only other ideas I have to brighten it currently is repainting making sure everything is gloss and/or silk to increase the amount of light reflecting surfaces.. it's currently all matt. And also add laminate flooring but that seems like it might be costly.

Anyone else got any bright ideas please? Oh and I don't want to add any more artificial lighting- our electricity bill is big enough ^_^
    June 2016 Grocery Challenge: £252.83/£175
    June 2016 Make £5 a day Challenge: £155.38/£150
Page 1
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 6th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 6,822 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    Those mirrors will be less effective and will cost a lot more than the electricity used by some additional low energy lighting.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Dec 17, 6:54 PM
    • 6,394 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:54 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:54 PM
    White paint reflects about 96% of light so the mirrors are pointless. You can use a double glazed exterior door although depending on how cold it is between the doors single glazed is probably fine.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 6th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 7,170 Posts
    • 5,161 Thanks
    -taff
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    LED lights are cheap to run, buy some.
    • juspsychojo
    • By juspsychojo 6th Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    juspsychojo
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    Thanks for your replies.

I do have led spotlights all down the hall, i just dont feel like i should have to switch the lights on constantly when it seems bright enough outside..

The ceiling is white at the moment and doesn't seem to be doing a great deal of reflecting.. it is not gloss tho. Perhaps I should just repaint and see how it looks..
    June 2016 Grocery Challenge: £252.83/£175
    June 2016 Make £5 a day Challenge: £155.38/£150
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 18,797 Posts
    • 43,287 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    We just decorated our previously dingy hallway. We fitted a partially glazed interior door, painted the walls light greys in silk, painted all the woodwork in brilliant white satin, got a clear glass light fitting with a 1520 lumen bulb. It's really bright and fresh now. The two biggest improvements were from the door and light fitting.

Sorry, just seen you have spots, have you tried bulbs with a wider spread?
    Last edited by peachyprice; 07-12-2017 at 8:47 AM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 7th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    Would one of those - what-do-you-call-them, sun-tube, sun-tunnel ? - things be an option ? My parents have one in their hallway ( it was there when they bought the house ), and it's surprising how much light it gives.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,188Posts Today

6,806Users online

Martin's Twitter