Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tompie71
    • By tompie71 6th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    tompie71
    working away from home wots my rights
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    working away from home wots my rights 6th Dec 17 at 5:06 PM
    hi all .first post so be gentle lol.
    I work away from home all the time and won't to no if I have any rights .I've had to buy a caravan as I was expected to sleep in a bivvy (tent) .is there any way I can claim any of the money back .
    My contract says 38 hours a week with the odd Saturday but the boss now says we gotta work 45 hours as it wot the eu says and the 38 hours was a mistake .
    do thay have to give me a evening meal .
    and last I use my van to get to work and home sometime toe other caravans to next site thay will put fuel in then bit am I entitled to help with fuel costs .I spending close to £250 a month. thanks guys
Page 2
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Dec 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    Comms69
    Funny mine says W I N D U P
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 7th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 5,671 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    LeeUK
    So you work for a company but you have to move around the country every month to a new 'job'? And all the accommodation they supply is a bivvy?

Are you sure you're not just paid cash in hand no questions asked by the borderline criminal boss on some sort of hush hush self employed basis?
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 7th Dec 17, 11:33 AM
    • 5,775 Posts
    • 28,292 Thanks
    bugslet
    As a bit of an aside, when the road to the side of my house was closed for re-srufacing, two of the guys lived in a caravan outside my house for about a week.

No idea if it belonged to the company or was their own. So it does happen.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 7th Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Because the posting style suggests you are! If you thought that you needed to explain what a bivvy is, why not simply write tent in the first place? And the appalling English appears contrived. And there's a massive lack of any actual inform; even when asked you don't give anything away. And finally, there's that first sentence. Which almost always appears on "first time posters" posts when they are anything but first time posters. If you are what you claim to be, then help yourself out by being more informative.
    Originally posted by sangie595

Im confused...why bother replying if you feel as stated that the OP is some sort of time waster as you put it.

Then you go onto reply again...sorry but do you work here,are you employed to post replies..only ask as you seem to feel your very important and have the right to complain when standards are not as you expect.

Why bother replying if you dont wish to help..or is it a case your opinion matters so you have to reply.

Oh by the way a Bivvy is not a Tent..a Bivvy is an open fronted shelter used for fishing,like saying an Umbrella is a coat,they do similar jobs (keeping rain off) but are different.
    Last edited by Samsung_Note2; 07-12-2017 at 1:21 PM.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 7th Dec 17, 1:53 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    nicechap
    Im confused...why bother replying if you feel as stated that the OP is some sort of time waster as you put it. Sangie's post asks op to provide more info and in an earlier post says they give them the benefit of the doubt

Then you go onto reply again so what, that's kind of the point of a forum...sorry but do you work here,are you employed to post replies..only ask as you seem to feel your very important and have the right to complain when standards are not as you expect. how would you know what another poster "feels"?

Why bother replying if you dont wish to help..or is it a case your opinion matters so you have to reply. how has your reply helped in any way?

Oh by the way a Bivvy is not a Tentif you've served in the military you'd know it can be and clearly OP thinks it is.a Bivvy is an open fronted shelter used for fishing,like saying an Umbrella is a coat,they do similar jobs (keeping rain off) but are different.
    Originally posted by Samsung_Note2
    Reading your signature, I'm wondering why you haven't taken your own advice and ignored someone's post if it upsets you that much. Unless you're a secret stalker?
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 7th Dec 17, 2:52 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Reading your signature, I'm wondering why you haven't taken your own advice and ignored someone's post if it upsets you that much. Unless you're a secret stalker?
    Originally posted by nicechap
    Could ask you the same..you've felt compelled to reply on their behalf so i"ll ask you your own question.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 7th Dec 17, 3:01 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    nicechap
    Could ask you the same..you've felt compelled to reply on their behalf so i"ll ask you your own question.
    Your signature isn't my signature. Your contributions look even sillier now.
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 6,903 Thanks
    sangie595
    Im confused...why bother replying if you feel as stated that the OP is some sort of time waster as you put it. I didn't say that at all. I explained why it appeared that the poster may be being less than accurate. In answer to their question. I did not use the words time waster at all. Those are your words. And despite explaining why it appeared that this was not a real situation, and MANY questions by people, the OP comes back and answers hardly any of them, and in such an uninformative way that it is impossible to come to any other conclusion.

Then you go onto reply again...sorry but do you work here,are you employed to post replies..only ask as you seem to feel your very important and have the right to complain when standards are not as you expect. Kettle, pot, black - who appointed you the forum police? And the language does appear contrived.

Why bother replying if you dont wish to help..or is it a case your opinion matters so you have to reply.
    Do you think I give a damn about your opinion?

Oh by the way a Bivvy is not a Tent..a Bivvy is an open fronted shelter used for fishing,like saying an Umbrella is a coat,they do similar jobs (keeping rain off) but are different. I suggest you explain that to the OP - it was the OP who said this, not me!

Until the OP decides that they are going to provide some actual information then there is very little that anyone can say. Your helpful contribution appears to be having a go at other posters (as usual) and recommending bacon butties from the caf.

Please feel free to explain to the OP exactly what their employment and tax entitlements are based on the information that they are unhelpfully drip feeding whilst saying almost nothing whatsoever and answering no questions at all. And to stop reading my posts if you so dislike them. Then we will both be happy.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 7th Dec 17, 4:53 PM
    • 30,837 Posts
    • 18,444 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Mobile jobs where you live on site are not that unusual.

It is looking like there are going to be three main issues

Salary/hours/min wage.

Expenses.

Standard of facilities .

It does appear this employer is not generous with any of them.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 6,903 Thanks
    sangie595
    Mobile jobs where you live on site are not that unusual.

It is looking like there are going to be three main issues

Salary/hours/min wage.

Expenses.

Standard of facilities .

It does appear this employer is not generous with any of them.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    As I said previously, giving the benefit of the doubt, yes, you are correct. Not unusual. In fact there are infinite possibilities as to the work undertaken. Without information it's impossible to second guess entitlement. That said, an employer doesn't have to be generous. If they aren't, then there is only one option - find another employer.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 7th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 30,837 Posts
    • 18,444 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Min wage may be worth exploring as the op has said they are salaried and have been asked told to do more hours.

The on site hours may also qualify.
    • tompie71
    • By tompie71 10th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tompie71
    I did say at the start first timmer. I also learnt myself to reed and write about 7 years ago so if my spelling mistakes afends u sorry .all I am trying to do is find out my rights .
    1 wot am i intitled to for working away from home .evening meal
    2 can thay change my hours
    3can I claim travel expenses as using my own van to get to work .
    don't won't to name the company in case i get in trouble
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Dec 17, 11:30 PM
    • 5,671 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Ask the company your employer for a copy of your contract and staff handbook. This should tell you what you are entitled to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,702Posts Today

5,931Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin