Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tompie71
    • By tompie71 6th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    tompie71
    working away from home wots my rights
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    working away from home wots my rights 6th Dec 17 at 5:06 PM
    hi all .first post so be gentle lol.
    I work away from home all the time and won't to no if I have any rights .I've had to buy a caravan as I was expected to sleep in a bivvy (tent) .is there any way I can claim any of the money back .
    My contract says 38 hours a week with the odd Saturday but the boss now says we gotta work 45 hours as it wot the eu says and the 38 hours was a mistake .
    do thay have to give me a evening meal .
    and last I use my van to get to work and home sometime toe other caravans to next site thay will put fuel in then bit am I entitled to help with fuel costs .I spending close to £250 a month. thanks guys
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 6,903 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    No you can't claim the money back. What kind of job requires a tent (or a caravan) and why can't you live in your usual home? I don't know what the EU had to do with your working hours, but up to 48 hours, provided you are paid the national minimum/ living wage, is quite acceptable in UK law. Your fuel costs to get to and from work are your responsibility. As are your meals.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 6th Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    I work away from home all the time and won't to no if I have any rights .I've had to buy a caravan as I was expected to sleep in a bivvy (tent) .is there any way I can claim any of the money back .
    My contract says 38 hours a week with the odd Saturday but the boss now says we gotta work 45 hours as it wot the eu says and the 38 hours was a mistake .
    and last I use my van to get to work and home sometime toe other caravans to next site thay will put fuel in then bit am I entitled to help with fuel costs .I spending close to £250 a month. thanks guys
    Originally posted by tompie71
    Goodness.

I've heard of some random stuff being blamed on the EU, but forcing you to work more hours reaches even deeper levels of ridiculousness.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 15,442 Posts
    • 38,778 Thanks
    elsien
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    What job is it? ( I have no useful advice, I'm just curious.)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 6th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    Where do you park your caravan whilst working/ sleeping overnight? Why are you not planning to claim for those costs too?

Presumably you'd have dinner at home? Why do you want it paid for when most caravans have cooking facilities built in?

(I can guess the answer to all these questions - I'm just surprised so many people are taking you at face value)
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Dec 17, 7:28 PM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 6,903 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:28 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:28 PM
    Where do you park your caravan whilst working/ sleeping overnight? Why are you not planning to claim for those costs too?

Presumably you'd have dinner at home? Why do you want it paid for when most caravans have cooking facilities built in?

(I can guess the answer to all these questions - I'm just surprised so many people are taking you at face value)
    Originally posted by nicechap
    We aren't. Just giving the benefit of the doubt.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 6th Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    z1a
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    I know teachers are always whinging about their pay & conditions, but I didn't think it was that bad!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 7th Dec 17, 1:31 AM
    • 5,671 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:31 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:31 AM
    All my past employers have paid for hotels if they have required staff to work away or attend something which isn't in reasonable travel distance. And they pay travel expenses e.g train ticket or mileage.

Don't know what your job is, but if I was told I had to drive 200 miles to a meeting and then stay in a tent I'd tell them to jog on.
    • tompie71
    • By tompie71 7th Dec 17, 7:20 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tompie71
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:20 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:20 AM
    fencer and I never in on place longer then a month
    • tompie71
    • By tompie71 7th Dec 17, 7:21 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tompie71
    on site were we working mate
    • tompie71
    • By tompie71 7th Dec 17, 7:27 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tompie71
    I buy shopping for the week and cook .but all other jobs I've had that I worked away I got a evening meal .and why u think I am taking the p**s
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 7th Dec 17, 7:58 AM
    • 841 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    nicechap
    and last I use my van to get to work and home sometime
    toe other caravans to next site thay will put fuel in then bit
    am I entitled to help with fuel costs .I spending close to £250 a month. thanks guys
    We aren't. Just giving the benefit of the doubt.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    mmm .... maybe gangmaster legislation might be more relevant
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • Carl31
    • By Carl31 7th Dec 17, 8:10 AM
    • 2,048 Posts
    • 4,619 Thanks
    Carl31
    No you can't claim the money back.
    What makes you say that? the OP doesnt go into a lot of detail

OP, what does your contract say about your place of work? do you have an office that you are required to attend? Do you have to buy your own tools to work with? Are you paid via payroll? ie do you get the same amount each month and have a pension from your employer? Do you have a manager? Or, are you paid per job you do?
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 7th Dec 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    Seems odd set up, if you are PAYE then I'd have thought you can claim reasonable expenses, depends what your contract says - perhaps your salary is paid at a level to include the hardship of moving round. I thought most fencers though were self employed, which means you'd be able to offset a lot of your costs against tax - if you are, get an accountant.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Dec 17, 9:03 AM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 6,903 Thanks
    sangie595
    What makes you say that? the OP doesnt go into a lot of detail

OP, what does your contract say about your place of work? do you have an office that you are required to attend? Do you have to buy your own tools to work with? Are you paid via payroll? ie do you get the same amount each month and have a pension from your employer? Do you have a manager? Or, are you paid per job you do?
    Originally posted by Carl31
    I'll be happy to see the tax regulation or employment law that allows you to claim back the money for a caravan you bought. That's what makes me say that - there aren't any. If, and it's only if, the OP were self employed, then they may be able to offset some expenditure against taxes. Not claim them back. And not the cost of a caravan.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 7th Dec 17, 9:06 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    As above..id say a lot depends on how your employed.

Are you PAYE or Self employed.

Are you working on buildings sites and that kind of place,if so make friends with the forkie and ask him if he can give you a splash of Cherry for the van...bacon sarnie from the cafe does work wonders...
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 7th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    I'll be happy to see the tax regulation or employment law that allows you to claim back the money for a caravan you bought. That's what makes me say that - there aren't any. If, and it's only if, the OP were self employed, then they may be able to offset some expenditure against taxes. Not claim them back. And not the cost of a caravan.
    If self employed they could put through a reasonable amount as its his working accommodation,along with the up keep.

Plant ops who move around following next contract do.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 6,903 Thanks
    sangie595
    .and why u think I am taking the p**s
    Because the posting style suggests you are! If you thought that you needed to explain what a bivvy is, why not simply write tent in the first place? And the appalling English appears contrived. And there's a massive lack of any actual inform; even when asked you don't give anything away. And finally, there's that first sentence. Which almost always appears on "first time posters" posts when they are anything but first time posters. If you are what you claim to be, then help yourself out by being more informative.
    • tompie71
    • By tompie71 7th Dec 17, 9:18 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tompie71
    yes get the same amount every month and pay pension .I were there work cloths
    • tompie71
    • By tompie71 7th Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tompie71
    P A Y E IS WOT my pay slip says
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

3,552Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin