Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daver9
    • By daver9 6th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    daver9
    2 applicants can borrow less?
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    2 applicants can borrow less? 6th Dec 17 at 4:32 PM
    I've just looked at the "how much can I borrow" calculator on this site and popped in mine and my partners details. The calculator suggested I would get a larger mortgage on my own than with my partner. I work full time and my other half, taking on more childcare responsibilities, earns a part time wage but I figured that any additional earning power would mean a larger overall loan. Does anyone have more info about this, should I apply as an individual? What's the logic here?
Page 1
    • Theguywhovapes
    • By Theguywhovapes 6th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Theguywhovapes
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    It’s not just about the income, what about the outgoings.

If you have little outgoings/credit and your partner has a lot, that can bring it down
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Dec 17, 5:35 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 9,176 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:35 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:35 PM
    Do either of you have debt?
    1 week to go until early retirement. Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • daver9
    • By daver9 7th Dec 17, 8:04 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daver9
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:04 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:04 AM
    No debt but this was just using the MSE calculator

And so this seems like a fairly blunt instrument for giving you a ball park figure and it doesn't ask any questions about outgoings or debt. According to that tool one applicant on 30,000 salary can borrow more than 30,000 + 6,000 so I figured there must be a principle at play
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

996Posts Today

5,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin