Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • axel132132
    • By axel132132 6th Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 6Thanks
    axel132132
    Gf - poor clear score
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    Gf - poor clear score 6th Dec 17 at 4:08 PM
    Hi,

My gf is using clear score to see her credit rating and experian it started of at 17.. not its at 450 on experian and started at about 2 and now 250 on clear score

Part of hers on clear score as a negative says not applied for much credit in the last year and also her max credit limit is low (her credit card limit is 200)

Anyway i thought taking out credit is bad, or not so much bad but lowers score because otherwise we could get her a credit card with a 1200 limit and go from there.

We are looking at getting a mortgage in a couple of months once her credit score gets better as i dont think we will get s good deal atm

My score is 899 on experian and 490 on clear score
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    The score is meaningless drivel, ignore it. No lender uses a credit reference agency score. You most certainly do not want to be borrowing money just for the purpose of increasing a mickey mouse score.

What matters is the contents of her record. By the sounds of it its only low because she doesn't actually borrow much, if anything at all. Continuing to spend on her current card every month and repay the balance in full will increase the makey uppey number if you're that concerned.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 6th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    Your credit score is totally meaningless, and is seen by no-one apart from you and the CRA. Your fictitious score will go down as the result of any change in your credit circumstances, good or bad. Lenders will use the factual data contained in your credit history to base their decisions on.

The simplest way to improve your credit history is to use a credit card for everyday spending and pay it off in full every month, on time, without fail. A Direct Debit is the simplest and safest way of doing this. It doesn't matter what APR the card charges - as you'll be paying in full every month, you won't pay any interest.
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 06-12-2017 at 4:31 PM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • axel132132
    • By axel132132 6th Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    axel132132
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    Thanks alot appreciate it
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 6th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    Hi,

Anyway i thought taking out credit is bad, or not so much bad but lowers score because otherwise we could get her a credit card with a 1200 limit and go from there.
    Originally posted by axel132132
    How are you planning on getting a card with that limit? If the most she gets offered is £200, then you have pretty much no chance of getting £1200 - you can't ask for the limit you want, it gets given to you
    • axel132132
    • By axel132132 6th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    axel132132
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    How are you planning on getting a card with that limit? If the most she gets offered is £200, then you have pretty much no chance of getting £1200 - you can't ask for the limit you want, it gets given to you
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Because when she got the card at 200 quid it was told to her it is 200 limit as she had credit score of 12.. now she has a credit score of 450 she has been told 1200
    • Richey_
    • By Richey_ 6th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    Richey_
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    Because when she got the card at 200 quid it was told to her it is 200 limit as she had credit score of 12.. now she has a credit score of 450 she has been told 1200
    Or she has been with the credit card provider for a period of time now, built up a relationship with them, they know how she manages the account and they are now happy to increase the limit.

To reiterate your score is a made up number, the credit card company do not even see it. They create their own “score” internally from looking at the credit history on the files. Stop chasing phoney numbers, ALL THAT MATTERS IS THE ACCOUNT HISTORY ON YOURS / HER FILES.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 6th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    I know many in here like to say scores are meaningless but they do if only in part reflect some of your financial behaviour. A person with late payments and defaults or ccj' s will most probably have a lower score than someone who doesn't have those things. Lenders might not see the actual number but they will get a picture of your behaviour from the credit reference agencies, just as you get an indication from seeing your score. Why else would there be as guide on this site given you tips on how to improve your credit file?
    I agree not to get too focused on the numbers but they are not simply pulled from thin air, they do have some basis. Someone with no score for example will find it hard to get credit because the have little info for lenders to make as decision on.
    Just use the card sensibly.
    Good luck with your mortgage.
    • axel132132
    • By axel132132 6th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    axel132132
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    Thanks again yeah makes sense
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 14,405 Posts
    • 15,202 Thanks
    zx81
    Why else would there be as guide on this site given you tips on how to improve your credit file?
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Because a credit file is not a credit score.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 6th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Who said the score was 12 - the lenders don't see nor care about the score.

Also they might not just check Equifax (Clearscore) - there's also Experian and Call Credit as well where she will have a credit FILE that they will check.
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Dec 17, 11:52 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 2,423 Thanks
    takman
    Someone with no score for example will find it hard to get credit because the have little info for lenders to make as decision on.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Your getting very mixed up between your credit file and credit score. I hope that you meant someone with no "credit history" will find it harder to get credit.

Whether or not you have a "credit score" does not effect applying for credit in any way.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 7th Dec 17, 8:13 AM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    we could get her a credit card with a 1200 limit
    I think what throws a lot of people is the fact that the marketing mail sent out by credit card providers often ( always ?? ) seems to use a £1200 limit, together with their "typical" APR, as an "illustrative" example. It is just that - an example. It has very little, if any, bearing upon what limit an individual applicant will be offered.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Dec 17, 9:03 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I'm pretty sure it's a legal reason.

Plus, £1200 is easier to divide by 12 months (1 year) for working out Interest to an even, rounded number.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl

We are looking at getting a mortgage in a couple of months once her credit score gets better as i dont think we will get s good deal atm
    Hi

do not even think about applying for more credit - either of you - if you are thinking of applying for a mortgage in a few months. Just keep up the good behaviour of using credit cards and paying in full after the statement is issued.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • axel132132
    • By axel132132 10th Dec 17, 3:40 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    axel132132
    Thabks mallygirl thats all i was really after when i was asking the question, i do not fully understand it all abit of these comments have struck me back alittle asif they are coming across at me that i am thick.

With regards to credit all i know is i pay for everything on time, etc i didnt realise score was irellevant because every time i have applied for car loans etc its always mentioned

Wont apply for any credit thanks again mallygirl
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Dec 17, 4:38 PM
    • 30,436 Posts
    • 19,240 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Thabks mallygirl thats all i was really after when i was asking the question, i do not fully understand it all abit of these comments have struck me back alittle asif they are coming across at me that i am thick.

With regards to credit all i know is i pay for everything on time, etc i didnt realise score was irellevant because every time i have applied for car loans etc its always mentioned

Wont apply for any credit thanks again mallygirl
    Lenders are either refering to an internal score or they say your application failed due to your score when they mean an issue with your credit file.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter