Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wapow
    • By wapow 6th Dec 17, 2:52 PM
    • 874Posts
    • 479Thanks
    wapow
    How to Install Android 7.1.1/2
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:52 PM
    How to Install Android 7.1.1/2 6th Dec 17 at 2:52 PM
    Hello Everyone

With the cheap deals on the LG X Fast K600Y, I took the plunge.
    Its a nice phone, but it seriously needs to move to the latest Android OS.

I could really do with someone helping me out here and be patient with me lol.

So, I've learnt that its possible to download the Android ROM and then, check for updates in settings and it will find my ROM.

I just want the normal Android OS 7.1.2 or 7.1.1.
    I dont want to root my device as i use banking apps
    I dont want any modified OS, just a normal stock version will do.

Is anyone clued up that could help me out here? I cant even find a normal stock download of the OS!!

Regards
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    Well unless LG release an update to 7.x then you're not getting it given the requirements you've stated. There was a reason it was cheap and that is because LG aren't continuing to update it.
    • wapow
    • By wapow 6th Dec 17, 5:28 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    wapow
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:28 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:28 PM
    Is there a way to root it, upgrade the OS and then unroot it?
    If so, is there stock ROM available to download to do this?
    Or does the root software take care of this?

Regards

Well unless LG release an update to 7.x then you're not getting it given the requirements you've stated. There was a reason it was cheap and that is because LG aren't continuing to update it.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 6th Dec 17, 6:12 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:12 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:12 PM
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/

Best place to ask, there doesn`t seem to be any mention of that Model though.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Dec 17, 6:53 PM
    • 9,945 Posts
    • 4,095 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:53 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:53 PM
    No you cannot use a stock rom to update as no update to 7.
    A custom rom may be Android 7 .
    BUT i see no development for that model .
    • toshi
    • By toshi 8th Dec 17, 8:38 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    toshi
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:38 AM
    Planned Software Obsolescence ?
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:38 AM
    "Android Eco System" works in 2 years cycle.. 2 years contract and (up to) 2years Software support.

If you really want to get out of this box, Custom Rom (Based upon Android Open-source Project, supported by developers community) seems the solution.

This is not the solution for everyone as you really need to take care of your devices with your own responsibility. Anyway, Google, Manufactures, Network operators do not encourage us to use more than 2 years.

LineageOs is the one of the most active Custom ROMs developers communities.
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

As this would be a second-hand aftermarket device, your basic DIY skill would be an advantage. (Replacing a battery isn't difficult)
    https://www.replacebase.co.uk/mobile-phone-parts/

No more worry about manufacturer warranty or Software Support termination, you can use your devices as long as you wish with YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

Instead of buying a disposable phone such as Moto C(rap) for 1 year use, you really can extend your smartphone life for another 3 years?)

Anybody who just want to try, second hand Nexus5 (£50 - £100 ?) OnePlus One (£100-150?) would be easy to install a Custom Rom.. (Don't buy network-locked phones, which block to install Custom Roms, even you unlock network restriction later)

Last not least, in money saving perspective, you would be able to save a lot of money as well (lol) with great user experiences, (Run smoothly without bloatware, longer battery life, regular security update etc) . Again, I have to insist that this option is not for everybody, as it requires full of your responsibility.

Happy hacking!
    Last edited by toshi; 08-12-2017 at 9:47 AM. Reason: minor correction
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,644Posts Today

7,805Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin