Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BattleToads
    • By BattleToads 6th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 11Thanks
    BattleToads
    VOA Council Tax Band Change
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    VOA Council Tax Band Change 6th Dec 17 at 2:39 PM
    Hi all,

I'm looking into the past sales for my flat and also the other flats located within the original converted building. From the figures I can find it suggests that the property should be classed as Band A.

There are six flats in total, currently only 1 is classed as Band A, the 5 others are classed as Band B. All flats have their original classification from 1st April 1991.

The oldest recorded sale for my flat was £36,500 in Q1 of 1997. Using Nationwide's historic data the Q1 1991 figure would be £36,225. Both below the £40,001 Band B threshold.

It's the same for 5 out of the 6 properties using sales data from 1995/1996/1997. Only one property calculates to being in Band B.

Should this be looked at further, or would the VOA see that other properties in the building are Band B and unlikely to investigate?
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    • 10,052 Posts
    • 8,122 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    Nationwide's house price indices are inaccurate often underestimating by 10 to 15% and thus cannot be relied on.

Impossible to predict VOA reaction without knowing precise details of each flat and you run the risk of the Band A flat being increased, unless you definitely know it is smaller. However if the bands have never been challenged and 5 are Band B, the likelihood is the VOA will say band is correct.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin