Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HappyFrog
    • By HappyFrog 6th Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 15Thanks
    HappyFrog
    0 WOW
    Overnight layover and checked bags
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    0 WOW
    Overnight layover and checked bags 6th Dec 17 at 2:11 PM
    Hoping someone can clarify this for me.

We will be transiting Miami from a non-US airport to another non-US airport. Normally any checked bags will be checked through to their final destination, but we will have an overnight layover this time due to bad flight connections. We arrive at around midday, and our onward flight leaves at around 11:00 am the next morning. In such cases do checked bags still get checked straight through to their final destination and are kept at the airport overnight? Or will we need to collect the bags on arrival and re-check them? It is a through ticket and we will be flying American if that helps.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 2,778 Posts
    • 1,847 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    Would you like them to be checked through or not? If the latter, just ask AA to short-check the bag. In any case, you will need to pick up the bag in order to clear customs at MIA so if you want it overnight you can just take it with you.
    • HappyFrog
    • By HappyFrog 6th Dec 17, 2:32 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    HappyFrog
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:32 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:32 PM
    Thanks. There is no need to clear customs at MIA if your final destination is a non-US destination - they changed the regulations on this some time ago. We don't want the bags overnight, so would prefer they were checked through - sorry, but what does 'short-check' mean?
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 6th Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    Happy Frog, are your flights and connections on one PNR (ticket) and all flying with AA. You quote that you don't need to clear customs. In my experience on entering the US from the UK I have always had to clear customs and obtain luggage, then put luggage back into the system for onward travel to final destination. Flying from Ireland may be different as they have pre-clearance. You don't give details on start and end destinations, those countries may have arrangements in place with the US.

If you are on separate tickets then having bags checked to your final destination won't be as straight forward.

Short check is when you would like to obtain your bags earlier in the itinerary i.e. for an overnight stop. You would recheck your bags the next day when you check-in for your onward flight.

I would give AA a call to clarify your position plus check out the AA forum on Flyertalk which has lots of useful information.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 6th Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 11,717 Posts
    • 7,937 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    Thanks. There is no need to clear customs at MIA if your final destination is a non-US destination - they changed the regulations on this some time ago. We don't want the bags overnight, so would prefer they were checked through - sorry, but what does 'short-check' mean?
    Originally posted by HappyFrog
    I find this statement (about the regulations changing) very surprising: what is your source for this?

Anyway, if you look at the web page for Miami international airport you find that it says: "If you’re on an international flight and connecting to an international destination—you need to check with your airline about your luggage. Find out if it was checked directly to your final destination or if you have to collect it before clearing U.S. Customs."
    • HappyFrog
    • By HappyFrog 7th Dec 17, 8:03 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    HappyFrog
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:03 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:03 PM
    Thanks all. I guess I'll just ask the desk at check in, but often I find the agents don't know themselves what the rules are! Flight is from Guatemala - Antigua on one ticket. I have done a number of trips recently through MIA and have never had to clear customs in the last year or so travelling non-US to non-US . Obviously if final destination is within US then yes I will need to clear the bags as MIA will be first port of entry.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,023Posts Today

8,522Users online

Martin's Twitter