Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lnelson1
    • By lnelson1 6th Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lnelson1
    Credit File Default Help Please
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    Credit File Default Help Please 6th Dec 17 at 1:54 PM
    Hello,

So I really need some advice on this situation as I am not clued up at all!

I had a credit card a couple of years ago, which was passed to a debt collecting agency and this was paid off in installments last year, so I have a default on my account for this, which is fair.

This month a company called IDEM, whom I have never heard of, opened an account and closed in all in the same month,. This has resulted in yet another default on my account.

I have called IDEM who have 'no idea' why this has happened and they have given me an email address to query this. Shockingly, I have had nothing back.

I raised a dispute with Equifax and all I got back was an automated email which doesnt say much. Basically something along the lines of, if you are not satisfied, please rause the dispute again in 7 days.

So now I am at a loss. Not sure what I should do. This has brought my credit score down massively.

Thank you!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Dec 17, 2:01 PM
    • 14,387 Posts
    • 15,181 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:01 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:01 PM
    Re-raise it with Equifax.

Also check with Experian and Call Credit.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 6th Dec 17, 2:16 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:16 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:16 PM
    As above

And ignore your score - it's meaningless
  • National Debtline
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    Hi lnelson1

Welcome to the forum. If you query anything on your credit file you need to raise it with the company who added the entry. If you try and raise it directly with the credit reference agency they will only forward your query on to the company in question. And they won't remove the entry without that company's permission.

As you've not heard anything back from IDEM (who are a debt collection company) you need to chase things up with them. If you struggle to get a response make a formal complaint. And if you are still not happy you can take your complaint on to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,283Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter