Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pennypanj
    • By Pennypanj 6th Dec 17, 1:40 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Pennypanj
    Overdraft - Lloyds Daily or Savings?
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:40 PM
    Overdraft - Lloyds Daily or Savings? 6th Dec 17 at 1:40 PM
    Hi,
    I am currently living in an overdraft with £2000 by the end of each month. The Lloyds daily overdraft charge is being applied and I hate it...even if I don't spend from my account, the statement shows an amount being taken every day...My first tactic to minimise the fee is to use my interest free Barclaycard for any non-bill spending and to pay the card off one day before payday, using the remainder of my overdraft...so, only being overdrawn to the max for one day.
    My bills come to roughly £1000 per month (including mortgage).
    I have £500 in another account and am getting a bonus for Christmas...so my question is-should I keep a separate pot of savings , or should I use this to reduce my overdraft?
    I like having a separate account for emergencies (house renovation ongoing) but also equally hate the daily overdraft fee!
    Advice very much appreciated!
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    You have no savings because you owe more than you have cash. You also can't afford your house renovation because you are living in your overdraft. You need to get this overdraft sorted out ASAP as you are in debt crisis. That involves stopping the house renovations, using money you have to pay it down and moving anything outstanding to the cheapest borrowing you can, i.e money transfer credit card.

Only once you've done that can you then build up a buffer and then continue with the house renovations.
  • National Debtline
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    Hi Pennypanj

Your overdraft presumably accrues interest at a faster rate than any savings you have or are likely to have. You should therefore attack the overdraft as aggressively as possible and if, as tarambor suggests, that means delaying certain (non-essential) outgoings, then so be it.

Good luck

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

948Posts Today

6,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin