Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 7,780Posts
    • 5,580Thanks
    esuhl
    Windows Updates (Win7) borked
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    Windows Updates (Win7) borked 6th Dec 17 at 1:38 PM
    I'm trying to help a friend who's Win7 PC has stopped checking for Windows Updates.

I've seen a couple of news articles on this issue:
    https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3022470/windows-update-is-borked-for-some-windows-7-users
    https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/damien-cox/windows-update-is-experiencing-problems-for-those-on-windows-7/

Essentially Windows Update (WU) says that the WU service isn't running when it is.

The articles say that ticking the box to "...receive recommended updates..." works round the problem, but it doesn't for me.

I've rebooted, run the WU Troubleshooter, run "sfc /scannow", but the problem persists.

Is there anything else I can try?

Cheers!
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Dec 17, 1:48 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 2,135 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:48 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:48 PM
    stop the update service
    Delete the folder : c:\windows\softwaredistribution
    start the update service

reboot : test
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 7,780 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:03 PM
    Aha! Thank you!

I remember doing that once before -- it's all coming back to me now! :-D

Windows is currently checking for updates, but it's taking a while to rebuild the cache. Fingers crossed... :-)
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 6th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Shrimply
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    I discovered the other day that I haven't installed any updates since August, my fault for not checking I guess. But I had to go through the same procedure to get it working again.

I'm sure it's not the first time I've had this happen with this laptop either...
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    • 17,484 Posts
    • 11,718 Thanks
    molerat
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    I discovered the other day that I haven't installed any updates since August, my fault for not checking I guess. But I had to go through the same procedure to get it working again.

I'm sure it's not the first time I've had this happen with this laptop either...
    Originally posted by Shrimply
    My daughter had not updated hers since October .......... 2016 ! and had the error mentioned here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73518434&highlight=#post73518434 and I fixed as per the thread instructions. The fix mentioned in the links in the OP didn't do anything.
    Last edited by molerat; 06-12-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • welshee
    • By welshee 7th Dec 17, 8:17 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    welshee
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:17 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:17 AM
    I had a similar problem on the windows 7 pc and this worked for me..

Not sure if is the exact same problem but take a look anyway.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/4tx4s9/windows_7_slowstuck_checking_for_updates_fix_as/
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 7th Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 19,203 Posts
    • 58,338 Thanks
    Oblivion
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:52 AM
    The problem this time was caused by Microsoft leaving an essential file in the AuthCabs directory necessary for WU to run which was time-expired. It ran out on the 3rd December.

The fix is ludicrously easy. Just go to Control Panel > select Time & Date > and roll the system date back to 1st December.

Now WU should run normally ... download any pending updates and when you are finished don't forget to roll the system date back to current.

WU will continue to run normally, until the next time some idiot at Microsoft screws it up again.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 11th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,500Posts Today

6,166Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin