Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PlumbingTheDepths
    • By PlumbingTheDepths 6th Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    PlumbingTheDepths
    Moved house - contacting supplier without getting tied in
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    Moved house - contacting supplier without getting tied in 6th Dec 17 at 12:44 PM
    Hi,
    I bought a house about a week ago, and have been waiting to be contacted by the energy suppliers (I expected that they would be in touch pretty quickly).

I haven't heard anything so had a read of the conveyancing paperwork, and it appears that the supplier for Electric and Gas is Sainsburys.

I will be contacting them to give them the meter readings but I want to make sure that I don't get tied into a contract by default (I'm pretty sure that I will want a different supplier).

Should I contact then first and give them the readings, or should pick a new supplier first and get them to do a switch?

I'm pretty sure that I need to contact Sainsbury's first and, if so, is there anything that I need to do to make sure that I don't sign up to a contract by default?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 6th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    northwalesd
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    You need to contact Sainsbury's first. You won't be tied into a fixed contract (unless you agree that with them) and can start your switch any time after that.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 2,814 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    Hi,
    I bought a house about a week ago, and have been waiting to be contacted by the energy suppliers (I expected that they would be in touch pretty quickly).

I haven't heard anything so had a read of the conveyancing paperwork, and it appears that the supplier for Electric and Gas is Sainsburys.

I will be contacting them to give them the meter readings but I want to make sure that I don't get tied into a contract by default (I'm pretty sure that I will want a different supplier).

Should I contact then first and give them the readings, or should pick a new supplier first and get them to do a switch?

I'm pretty sure that I need to contact Sainsbury's first and, if so, is there anything that I need to do to make sure that I don't sign up to a contract by default?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by PlumbingTheDepths
    You are on what is known as a Deemed Contract with the existing suppliers. You will be charged at the supplier's standard variable rate until such time as (a) you agree to a fixed tariff with that supplier or (b) you switch to another supplier and the actual transfer of supply goes through. This can take up to 5 weeks from application to switch. The moral here is: DO NOT PROCRASTINATE.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 6th Dec 17, 10:32 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:32 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:32 PM
    My experience of moving to a new property is with Scottish Power.

I phoned them to tell them I was due to move. They cancelled my existing fixed tariff which would take effect in 3 weeks and I had to start a new contract at my new property which meant switching from the current supplier to the property which was British Gas. That was done as usual as a switch and my old account at my previous property showed as "closed" and my new account with a different fixed tariff at my new address was open.

I suppose that at the point of moving, closing my old account and opening a new account I could have escaped the fixed tariff exit fees and opened an account with a different supplier my new address.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

520Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter