Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cajef
    • By cajef 6th Dec 17, 12:43 PM
    • 4,578Posts
    • 3,636Thanks
    cajef
    Scottish Power - Smart Meters.
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:43 PM
    Scottish Power - Smart Meters. 6th Dec 17 at 12:43 PM
    Had an email from Scottish Power in the summer saying that they were fitting smart meters in our area and to contact them to arrange a date, which I ignored.

About two months later came a phone call from them saying their fitters were now in the area and would I like mine done, to which I replied no thanks I do not want smart meters.

Today received this

Dear MR XXXXXXXXXX
    Thanks for showing interest in having your smart meter installed. We noticed you have yet to set an appointment. Did you know we offer flexible appointments to work around you? Please click XXXX to suggest some dates which will be convenient to you and we will contact you with a suggested appointment.
    Trying to work out how I have shown interest in having a smart meter installed.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Page 1
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 6th Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    It's just a bog standard (probably computer generated) letter they will send out to all their customers who have not yet had a smart meter fitted. Just rip it up and throw it in the bin if you're not interested.
    • bonus2010
    • By bonus2010 6th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    bonus2010
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    From what I hear it’s not mandatory to have a smart meter, so just the case of ignoring letters.

I’d just like to say though that I actually contacted Scottish Power last year asking them when they were going to be installing smart meters in my area, and have since had it installed since December last year. I’ve found the idea to be fantastic, no longer do I have to crawl into the cupboard to read the meter, nor do I have meter readers wanting to gain access to my house. However, there does seem to be a lot of negative press about regards smart meters from alleged harmful radiation to the prospect we’ll all get charged at different rates throughout the day
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 6th Dec 17, 6:03 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:03 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:03 PM
    All suppliers have to "offer " to fit a smart meter before 2020 so that`s yet another one off the list but at least they tried.
    Watch out for "phase two " in getting people to accept them. Its getting obvious now that there is an approx 20 % refusals so they will have to try either changing the rules back to mandatory , as it was to begin with or try financial inducements.
    Personally I don`t think the SMETS2 smart meters will make much difference, there will still be plenty of refusers
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 6th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 3,812 Posts
    • 4,709 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    Hi

Maybe things would have been different if the project was properly thought through & based on replacing the meters according to the existing replacement schedule ... effectively the roll-out would have been possible using existing engineering resources, so there'd be no/negligible on cost ... as it is, around £500/household is more than a little steep for little benefit to the consumer, especially considering the ultimate savings & efficiency benefits that become available to the supply industry ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 7th Dec 17, 8:21 AM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:21 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:21 AM
    In my case, Scottish Power did not tell me they were installing in my area. T discovered it when I clicked the "Register For A Smart Meter" link in my online account. Lo and behold they are installing in my area and their installer will contact me within 14 days.
    • king312
    • By king312 7th Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    king312
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    I have made requests to Scottish Power every few months for 2 years, still no smart meter. My gas meter is running fast and given that there is a 10% fault rate from manufacturing with old gas meters, I feel I am on the fast spinning side so change to a smart meter is likely to result in instant savings.

If you are on the slow side/disc spins slowly (compared to a comparable house/meter) do not change to smart meters as you will be charged more
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 7th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 3,812 Posts
    • 4,709 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    I have made requests to Scottish Power every few months for 2 years, still no smart meter. My gas meter is running fast and given that there is a 10% fault rate from manufacturing with old gas meters, I feel I am on the fast spinning side so change to a smart meter is likely to result in instant savings.

If you are on the slow side/disc spins slowly (compared to a comparable house/meter) do not change to smart meters as you will be charged more
    Originally posted by king312
    Hi

I don't follow how you know your gas meter is running fast or slow unless you had a second in-line calibrated meter to confirm the case ...

It's possible to check this with electricity with an accurate clamp-monitor or balancing registered Power to a renewable energy source, but with gas the only way would be for the supplier to check the calibration, in which case an out-of specification unit would be swapped out anyway ...

I'm pretty sure that if the gas meter is suspected to be inaccurate or faulty, being a safety-critical item, your supplier would offer to replace it quite quickly, possibly charging you for the service if it was subsequently found to be accurate on some form of test rig, but as you're pretty sure that it's over-reading it looks like there would be little risk.

Am I missing something, can you supply more details ?

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 8th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by king312
    I don't follow either but for a different reason: If you think your meter is not accurate all you need to do is dispute it with your supplier and they are duty bound to investigate it. If they don't then you have a justified complaint.

Here's what de guv said about the accuracy of gas meters in the year 2014:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/gas-meter-accuracy-and-disputes

Scroll down to the bottom of that page for other metering advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

3,238Users online

Martin's Twitter