Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • National Numeracy
      Verified User verified user
    • By National Numeracy Verified User verified user 6th Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 53Thanks
    National Numeracy
    Money Savers in the Movies
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    Money Savers in the Movies 6th Dec 17 at 12:29 PM
    Movies often give us glamorous depictions of the lives of wealthy people - or sometimes show us the hardships of living in poverty.

But have you seen any examples of characters trying to save money in the movies?

We'll post a couple of our favourites below - we'd love to hear yours!

P.S. If you've got a spare half hour or so, try out the National Numeracy Challenge to assess your numeracy level. It's free and confidential (although you will need to register to get your own unique login) and there are loads of resources to help you brush up your skills if you haven't yet got the 'Essentials of Numeracy'.
    Official Organisation Representative
    Iím the official organisation rep for National Numeracy. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
Page 1
    • National Numeracy
    • By National Numeracy Verified User verified user 6th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    National Numeracy
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    One attempt at money-saving we've spotted...

From the film 'Father of the Bride', when Steve Martin's character is trying to buy the right number of hot dogs and hot dog buns - here's the clip on youtube.

Anyone identify with this?
    Iím the official organisation rep for National Numeracy. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
    • National Numeracy
    • By National Numeracy Verified User verified user 6th Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    National Numeracy
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    Or perhaps this one sounds more like your kind of money-saving...

From the film 'Sense and Sensibility', when Emma Thompson's character Elinor is doing the books and deciding what the family can afford to buy:

Mrs Dashwood: Surely you're not going to deny us beef as well as sugar.
    Elinor: There is nothing under 10 pence a pound, Mamma. We must economise.
    Mrs Dashwood: Do you want us to starve?
    Elinor: No. Just not to eat beef.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 31,068 Posts
    • 114,442 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    Mr. McCawber's famous quote from David Copperfield (it was made into a film! Several films!)...........

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    • 11,557 Posts
    • 15,157 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:05 PM
    From the upcoming Warren McArthur Chronicles: A Chapter Opens movie:

The lead characters save the UK from austerity by finding all the tax dodgers and beating them up until they pay all the back taxes they owe plus interest going back to when they started work.

(Bonus feature on the DVD: they shoot up a Kelvin Mackenzie-like character with 50 calibre bullets for being the male equivalent of Katie Hopkins.)
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    Even my PC is nicknamed "GIBBS".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,489Posts Today

8,178Users online

Martin's Twitter