Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnDoe123
    • By JohnDoe123 6th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 2Thanks
    JohnDoe123
    Northern Parking Services
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    Northern Parking Services 6th Dec 17 at 12:14 PM
    HI all

I recently had I ticket delivered to my work (I have a company car) they said they was about to pay it but I told them not to before doing a bit of research which led me here.
    I had a look at the NEWBIE thread but i am still 100% not sure what to do.

thank you for your help

copy and paste the link below to see the letter
    s18.postimg.org/ru8tcia15/.parking.png
    Last edited by JohnDoe123; 06-12-2017 at 3:21 PM. Reason: spellings
Page 1
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 6th Dec 17, 12:20 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    Tilt
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:20 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:20 PM
    Is this the first correspondence you have received about this (apart from the actual 'ticket')?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • JohnDoe123
    • By JohnDoe123 6th Dec 17, 3:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JohnDoe123
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:20 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:20 PM
    yes this is the only thing my company has got about it, there was no ticket as it was an ANPR camera
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 34,496 Posts
    • 18,463 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    The Newbies FAQ thread does cover company cars
    • JohnDoe123
    • By JohnDoe123 6th Dec 17, 6:03 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JohnDoe123
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:03 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:03 PM
    Yes I have seen the newbie section about company cars, I am still abit confused as to wheather 1) I should pay it 2) dispute to pay the discounted price 3) not pay at all as it is not legal
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 6th Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    Have a look at nicks mate's thread

If there's a valid defence then defend it but there's a couple of hoops to jump through to take responsibility away from the company
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 6th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    Tilt
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    yes this is the only thing my company has got about it, there was no ticket as it was an ANPR camera
    Originally posted by JohnDoe123
    Well afaik, the process involved in private parking charge notices is that a 'notice to the owner' should be first sent giving an appeal option before a 'final demand' is issued. I can't see any appeal information on the 'notice' you have posted thus meaning that it dosn't comply with the BPA (or what ever it's called) code of practice.

I would write to them (NOT PHONE) disputing the charge on the grounds that you havn't been properly informed of their appeal process therefor you havn't had reasonable opportunity to challenge their invoice.

Keep copies of all correspondence and DO NOT enter into any verbal dialogue with them.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • JohnDoe123
    • By JohnDoe123 22nd Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JohnDoe123
    • 22nd Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    hi all
    I have a company car and my wife stayed in a car park without realising she overstayed (doesn't even state in the letter?)
    this was the letter that got sent to my work
    s18.postimg.org/ru8tcia15/.parking.png

I sent a letter to which I had no reply, now my work are sending this for me via e-mail
    (the letter was exactly the same)

please could someone read through it and see if its ok? or does it need amending?

Dear Sir or Madam,

Ticket number: ****
    Vehicle registration number: ****

As the keeper of the vehicle, I sent a letter on 05/12/2017 to which I have had no reply, to which I am now sending this e-mail.

A notice to the keeper was issued regarding a parking ticket on 28/10/2017 but I believe it was unfairly issued. I will not be paying your !!!8220;FINAL DEMAND!!!8221; (which we have only received one letter for?) for payment for the following reasons:

• There was insufficient signage
      The car park in question to which the driver has used has no clear signage to explain what the relevant parking restrictions are and costs. This means no contract can be formed with the landowner and all tickets are issued illegally.
    • Times and dates
      In the letter issued to the keeper, the date in question is 02/11/2017 but the letter was dated on 01/12/2017?
      The incident date says 28/10/2017 at 11:05. Other than this there is no indication of times to say how long the vehicle was there for?
      None of which makes sense.

• The charge is disproportionate and not commercially justifiable
    The amount you are charging the drive is not based upon any commercially justifiable loss to your company or the landowner.
    In this case, the £100 charge you are asking for far exceeds the cost to the landowner of £100 as this could be for staying 1minute over the time allowed as there is no indication of times shown? I therefore feel the charge you have asked for is excessive.

• The notice to keeper is incorrect
      The Notice to Keeper failed to meet the obligations of Schedule 4 of the POFA Act 2012.

If you choose to pursue this please be aware that I will not enter into any correspondence and this will be the only letter/e-mail you will receive from me until you answer the specific points raised in this letter/E-mail.

Yours faithfully
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 53,901 Posts
    • 67,572 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 22nd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    Where the heck did this old thing come from?

The charge is disproportionate and not commercially justifiable
    The amount you are charging the drive is not based upon any commercially justifiable loss to your company or the landowner.
    In this case, the £100 charge you are asking for far exceeds the cost to the landowner of £100 as this could be for staying 1minute over the time allowed as there is no indication of times shown? I therefore feel the charge you have asked for is excessive.
    Remove that. It has no legs and I have no idea where that came from (not this forum).

What's wrong with the appeal version for hirer/lessees written by Edna Basher, as linked in the NEWBIES thread where it talks about company/leased cars? The one talking about valid issues such as lack of hirer liability?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• JohnDoe123
    • By JohnDoe123 23rd Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JohnDoe123
    Yes I seen the Edna post, but it makes no sense to me, I'm not sure of which parts to edit? The one on the main page had text in blue and red to let you know what to change
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 23rd Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 53,901 Posts
    • 67,572 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    The one in the main MSE page is rubbish (sorry MSE, it's been said before). It's been said what the issues are with that MSE article and 'advice' that pointlessly uses mitigating circumstances and even blabs about who parked. At no point does MSE even tell people to appeal as keeper/hirer.

Worse than doing nothing.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 23-12-2017 at 7:29 PM.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• JohnDoe123
    • By JohnDoe123 29th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JohnDoe123
    Dear Sir/madam

Parking Charge Notice [
    123]: Vehicle Registration [123]

I refer to the above-detailed Parking Charge Notice (!!!8220;PCN!!!8221;) issued to me by
    Northern Parking Services
    As a Notice to Hirer. I confirm that as the hirer of this vehicle, I am its keeper for the purpose of the corresponding definition under Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (!!!8220;POFA!!!8221;) and I write to formally challenge the validity of this PCN.

You will no doubt be familiar with the strict requirements of Schedule 4 of POFA to be followed in order for a parking operator to be able to invoke keeper liability for a Parking Charge. There are a number of reasons why
    Northern Parking Services Notice to Hirer did not comply with POFA; in order that you may understand why, I suggest that you carefully study the details of Paragraphs 13 and 14 of Schedule 4 in particular.

Given that
    Northern Parking Serviceshas forfeited its right to keeper liability, please confirm that you shall now cancel this charge. Alternatively, should you choose to reject my challenge, please provide me with details of the Independent Appeals Service (POPLA), their contact details and a unique POPLA appeal reference so that I may escalate the matter to POPLA.

Thank you for your cooperation and I look forward to receiving your response within the relevant timescales specified under the British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice.

Yours faithfully,

[Insert squiggle as signature]
    • JohnDoe123
    • By JohnDoe123 29th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JohnDoe123
    I am about to send the letter above, do I use my own name and address? or do I leave my name unreadable as a squiggle?

if they reply to the letter it will go to my company, is this right?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 29th Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,876 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    You need to give name and address so they know. The signature is just a squiggle. Not your real one.

You could always put your name at the company address?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 29th Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    • 53,901 Posts
    • 67,572 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    The signature being a squiggle is not telling people not to give a name. A signature is not the same thing as a name.

The NEWBIES thread tells people that of course they MUST give a name and address.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,560Posts Today

9,209Users online

Martin's Twitter