Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 6th Dec 17, 12:04 PM
    • 2,499Posts
    • 11,177Thanks
    NewShadow
    Starting from scratch
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:04 PM
    Starting from scratch 6th Dec 17 at 12:04 PM
    A very close friend of mine is in the process of leaving an unhealthy relationship - her OH is not yet aware, but plans are in place for her to move out for good on the 2nd of January as he's away for a few days in the New Year. She will have little more than clothes and small personal items but I have lots of everything .

She's coming to me in the short term and I'm not going to be charging her keep. Once she's paid at the end of Jan, she'll have the cash for a deposit/first month's rent but not much else.

Assuming at this stage a furnished flat, I was thinking about gifting her the start of a store cupboard to help her for the first month, but I was wondering - what are the priorities for your cupboards?

My list so far:

Teabags
    'Decent' coffee
    Both milk to move in and a couple of cartons of UHT
    Chocolate/biscuits

Baked beans
    Tinned tomatoes
    Tinned soup
    Tinned tuna
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Packets of flavoured couscous

Lentils
    Rice
    Pasta
    Baking potatoes
    Loaf of fresh bread/pittas/wraps

Salt
    Pepper
    Mayo
    Oil
    Butter/spread
    Onions/Garlic

What do you think?
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore, there is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar...
    Byron
Page 2
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 7th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 9,708 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    As we are now looking beyond the kitchen....

A sim card for her Mobile ? (or a cheap no frills necessary new mobile)...to ensure that t*sser can't harass her on the number he presumably knows.

A magazine/puzzle book(and pen!)/paperback book....last time I moved in something of a hurry it took a few days to get things like the TV licence and Internet sorted...so these would occupy her in the evenings.

A new keyring for her new house-key

And whilst she is with you, make time to do a Charity Shop trawl.....you can pick up stuff like crockery for a few pounds....some places will do small electrical goods too (kettle....toaster...small portable heater)
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 7th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    I would also think about toiletries, these can be quite expensive, your choice as wether to treat her to some nice smellies or just everyday items but don't forget about sanitary towels or similar depending on her age. I always donate these when our supermarkets have collections for the needy, i also took all the odd packets that no one liked or used anymore from the back of the bathroom cupboards to a women's shelter and they were delighted. Can you imagine not being able to change as often as you want or worse, I used to feel miffed if I couldn't have my favourite brand!

Good luck.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 7th Dec 17, 1:41 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Just thought if 'storage space' is a problem for anything then a couple of those plastic boxs with lids (various sizes) perhaps a couple of small ones as you get the "3 pack" for about £1 or so and maybe a large one (the ones about 30cm to 60cm) too for other things.

Are things like cooking appliances needed ?
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 7th Dec 17, 10:22 PM
    • 2,499 Posts
    • 11,177 Thanks
    NewShadow
    Thank you all.

All brilliant suggestions and brilliant to see what we all consider our 'essentials'.

As beautiful_ravens has suggested, this is more of an 'immediate box' than a 'everything possible' box so I'm going to be whittling your suggestions down a little based on what I know about my friend and what she likes.

Things like she's not a baker or OS cook from scratch type - laughably not - so I'll probably bake a cake/cookies for her to take rather than sending flour

And, hopefully, she's going to be somewhere close - so I can suggest we can cook a meal together a couple of times a week until she's settled/starts to make friends in the area.

Until she starts looking around she won't know if she's going to be in a place with a bath or shower and won't know what's in the kitchen/needed in the way of furniture/appliances so some of this stuff is going to depend on where she ends up.

Quite a few things that have been suggested are things I've naturally got a few of in my personal store cupboard - meaning I wouldn't be buying them specially - and completely agree that while she's here we'll need to take advantage of the many, many charity shops in the vicinity - and while doing that the many, many little coffee shops - retail therapy is a recognised therapeutic technique after all... .

I very much doubt he is going to cause trouble - She's relocating from North Wales, so 150 odd miles and he has no idea where I live never mind where she might end up.

We met up when she was at the same funeral as I was last week and she looked - well, awful - not that anyone looks amazing at a funeral...

I'm sure he isn't the only one at fault and, AFAIK, he's never physically threatened her but even when we were just having a coffee I was watching him constantly undermine her - just a nasty thing to see, never mind live with.

Still - she'll soon be out of that environment and will spend at least a little while having the cats 'forcibly affection' her - again, recognised therapeutic technique

That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore, there is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar...
    Byron
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 8th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 7,181 Thanks
    culpepper
    When I saw this, I thought of when the kids were students and what they found handy...Could you make a list of key places in the area? Eg Doctors,Dentists,CAB ,job centre ,Library ,adult ed and useful shops local supermarkets, chemists...Then she can get herself organised a bit and not feel she is leaning on you too hard .. .
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 8th Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    JennyP
    Stock cubes and some herbs and spices and an 'economy recipes' cookery book to help keep costs down until your friend finds their 'feet' again. Jam, honey, marmalade (any of these) packet of sugar, pack of S/R flour, stork margarine for cakes. Possibly tins of fruit as a treat.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Those Miguel Barclay meals for a pound cookbooks are lovely. Just bought one new for £4 on Amazon. I like the layout - lovely big pictures - and the recipes are a for one portion!

I am excited for your friend. Leaving an unhealthy relationship takes lots of courage but it's great when you make a new start! Just got remarried 13 years after leaving my first very unhappy marriage!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter