Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bunko
    • By bunko 6th Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bunko
    Iresa
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    Iresa 6th Dec 17 at 11:57 AM
    Until recently I took my gas and electricity from Iresa. I found them difficult to contact and very slow at replying to requests or even complaints. They continually overcharge me and I built up £300 credit with them. I then tried to leave them, my electricity account was transferred to another supplier but gas remained with them after repeated requests. I eventually got the ombudsman involved but only recovered £100 of my £300 credit. I would never use Iresa again and would advise other people to be very careful when they build up a big credit on your account and you try to leave them. In my experience most of your money will disappear.
Page 1
    • quiet advisor
    • By quiet advisor 6th Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    quiet advisor
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    Totally agree that caution is needed with Iresa, based on my experience. We are now over £700 in credit, not received an electricity bill since I switched to them over six months ago , despite providing readings every month without fail. Iresa admit they have got billing problems and have not yet issued customer bills for October (should have been issued to customers mid November).

I'm trying to get a refund of XS credit - Iresa says it will be about four weeks before they let me know the outcome of their deliberations- most suppliers resolve on the spot when called!

I could switch supplier again, but am concerned about the XS credit they hold on my account. The Ofgem website says that customers are protected where their present supplier ceases trading, but the assurance appears to be slightly less solid for customers who switch and their previous supplier then fails before refunding outstanding credit.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/extra-help-energy-services/ofgem-safety-net-if-your-energy-supplier-goes-out-business

Caveat emptor!
    Last edited by quiet advisor; 06-12-2017 at 9:17 PM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 7th Dec 17, 8:35 AM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 1,547 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:35 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:35 AM
    Totally agree that caution is needed with Iresa, based on my experience. We are now over £700 in credit, not received an electricity bill since I switched to them over six months ago , despite providing readings every month without fail. Iresa admit they have got billing problems and have not yet issued customer bills for October (should have been issued to customers mid November).

I'm trying to get a refund of XS credit - Iresa says it will be about four weeks before they let me know the outcome of their deliberations- most suppliers resolve on the spot when called!

I could switch supplier again, but am concerned about the XS credit they hold on my account. The Ofgem website says that customers are protected where their present supplier ceases trading, but the assurance appears to be slightly less solid for customers who switch and their previous supplier then fails before refunding outstanding credit.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/extra-help-energy-services/ofgem-safety-net-if-your-energy-supplier-goes-out-business

Caveat emptor!
    Originally posted by quiet advisor
    Why would you switch again?

You are not being charged for the energy you are currently consuming, and are earning a whopping 4% interest (no tax either ) on the accumulating credit

Most of us appear to have received a bill every month for the past 6 months, save for last month. Even then, the account transactions show the cost of energy consumed, even if there was no proper bill produced.

The supplier's terms state that they may only produce a bill as infrequently as once per year. Did you read the terms you agreed you did and agreed you would abide by?

But if you are concerned, have you raised the matter with the supplier in line with the suppliers complaint procedure?

So you are concerned about increasing credit on your account? Credit you knoiw isn't ever going to be repaid in full as it is credit based on the fact you have not been charged with any energy you have consumed so far.
    Then you think the supplier may go bust .... tins hats everyone.!
    Yet you still paying this supplier who you fear (without any good cuse) is going bust, more of your hard earned cash...

If you used an accurate estimate of your anticipated annual consmption in kWh, then you won't have too much credit, except possibly some credit now accrued to pay for the more expensive winter period.
    If you got the figure wrong, then the whole comparison you carried out that suggested Iresa was the cheapest supplier for you is cast in doubt.

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 07-12-2017 at 8:41 AM.
    • quiet advisor
    • By quiet advisor 7th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    quiet advisor
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    Thanks for the comments footguy.

You should recognise that your experience will not necessarily be enjoyed by all.

QA
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

5,794Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin