Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ellywellywoo
    • By ellywellywoo 6th Dec 17, 11:38 AM
    • 62Posts
    • 2Thanks
    ellywellywoo
    Van Insurance
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:38 AM
    Van Insurance 6th Dec 17 at 11:38 AM
    My partner who is a plumber owns a van

In the summer he had some health issues and he has been told can't drive while his heart is being monitored
    He sent back his driving licence to the dvla as requested

The van is now parked up and i drive it if we need to use it. I have a full licence
    His insurance has now expired and his current insurance company won't insure it under his name as he doesn't have a driving licence

we don't want to sell the van as we need to use it occasionally
    I haven't called my insurance company yet (direct line) but should we transfer ownership of the van to me and then insure under my name

Or is there any company that would insure it under partners name. We just really want it covered for theft as he won't be driving it
    Thank you for any advice
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 33,565 Posts
    • 17,453 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    You can buy laid up insurance cover to cover theft (assuming the van is off the road now)

Otherwise you should be able to buy a policy in your own name (ensure the insurer knows your partner is the registered keeper)

If you can't do this online either phone your chosen company to explain this is your partner's van or use a local broker (not Swinton)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin