Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 6th Dec 17, 11:26 AM
    • 8,826Posts
    • 21,134Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Stupid question time - do you see more comps ending in December than other months?
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:26 AM
    Stupid question time - do you see more comps ending in December than other months? 6th Dec 17 at 11:26 AM
    Hi!

We're discussing this in MSE Towers and I'm trying to "prove" that there are normally more comps ending in December than in other months due to standard comps that end on 31 December AND advent comps.

Am I right though? Is this true?

If you can answer below I can show this to the others.

Thank you in advance!

Andrea
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 6th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 14,994 Posts
    • 23,029 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    I definitely see more comps about as all the big brands do them as advent ones - Smaller compnies and businesses also seem to do a lot more on FB in December so I'd say a definite increase in December from my perspective?
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 6th Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 88,879 Thanks
    Blulu
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    Do you know, I think that's quite a hard question to answer. I definitely see and do a lot more comps in December than any other month, but mostly that is because their are mainly daily ones. So if you count an advent competition that runs daily from 1st - 24th Dec as being 24 comps, then the answer is a clear "yes". However, if you count that as one competition with daily entries, then I'm not so sure. There are clearly a lot fewer non-advent comps posted in December, so if each advent counts as one comp, the actual total may be closer than it feels.

Blu X
    Comping fairy fly to me. Make my bells go tinkle.
    Get your dust out for the lads, and let me have a sprinkle.
    • JayJay1874
    • By JayJay1874 6th Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    JayJay1874
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    There's often less ending on 31st December than on the end date of most other months as instead of running a monthly comp, a lot of companies are invested in their Advent comp. You do get some that are set up with a long entry period with an end of year end date but they are few.

With around 500 advents to enter each day though, there's definitely more in total in December.

Do you know, I think that's quite a hard question to answer. I definitely see and do a lot more comps in December than any other month, but mostly that is because their are mainly daily ones. So if you count an advent competition that runs daily from 1st - 24th Dec as being 24 comps, then the answer is a clear "yes". However, if you count that as one competition with daily entries, then I'm not so sure. There are clearly a lot fewer non-advent comps posted in December, so if each advent counts as one comp, the actual total may be closer than it feels.

Blu X
    Originally posted by Blulu
    I don't think it makes sense to call each advent 1 comp rather than 24. Each day is a comp in it's own right, with it's own winner, the result of which has no bearing on subsequent days. If you miss a day, you haven't missed 1 extra entry, you've missed an entire comp/prize.

It's one of the biggest frustrations on here, for end daters definitely, that there is no differentiation between comps with a daily entry and a series of daily comps from a company. Both tend to just use the same word, daily, when they are actually very different things.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 6th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 17,866 Posts
    • 38,738 Thanks
    Glad
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    off the top of my head, in a normal month there are around 150 comps ending most days, and 400+ on the last day of the month. Atm we only have 350 ending 31/12, (there will be more posted), but we have 700 advent comps listed and most of them have a different daily comp running at least 12 days usually 24!! So at least 10,000 extra comps to enter in December althouh take into account some companies running an advent instead of a monthly or normal daily etc
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • painterjohn
    • By painterjohn 6th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 7,074 Thanks
    painterjohn
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!!!
    Last win 2013!! Oh well.

Many thanks to our wonderful posters and apologies to the mods for all the postings I've made which then turned out that I've been pipped at the post.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 6th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 8,826 Posts
    • 21,134 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:15 PM
    The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!!!
    Originally posted by painterjohn
    True! I forgot the forum motto didn't I? "There's no such thing as a stupid question"

Please shout loud and proud on the I Won board when you get a win - that's a very long comping dry spell!

Thank you for your replies everyone!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • juliesan
    • By juliesan 6th Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 45,869 Thanks
    juliesan
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    am i being thick
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    i can only see two comps ending today, when i do the normal thread title ascending search
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 6th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 9,183 Posts
    • 320,418 Thanks
    BlueBella
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    I think many of the December comps end before Christmas so maybe less comps ending on the 31st? I find January is quiet for comps, though I am glad after such a manic December!

It just bugs me when I see Christmassy comps ending in January - by the time the prize gets sent out it can be February! I've had Rudolph socks and Advent calenders arrive then!
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • JayJay1874
    • By JayJay1874 6th Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    JayJay1874
    i can only see two comps ending today, when i do the normal thread title ascending search
    Originally posted by juliesan
    Advents are prefixed A: Which are on the last pages when you sort in date order. You need to go forward a few pages to where they are prefixed by E: to find those ending today.
    • JayJay1874
    • By JayJay1874 6th Dec 17, 3:27 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    JayJay1874
    I think many of the December comps end before Christmas so maybe less comps ending on the 31st? I find January is quiet for comps, though I am glad after such a manic December!

It just bugs me when I see Christmassy comps ending in January - by the time the prize gets sent out it can be February! I've had Rudolph socks and Advent calenders arrive then!
    Originally posted by BlueBella
    Mini Christmas trees, Santa cacti and Advent calendars were February arrivals for me.
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 6th Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    • 3,562 Posts
    • 18,977 Thanks
    Misslayed
    Originally posted by juliesan
    There are about 160 ending today, you need to move past all the advent comps starting with A: instead of E:

They start on page 47
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 7th Dec 17, 8:01 AM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 291,748 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    You only need to look at the number of pages on the Competition forum to see there are more competitions posted in December ... I think we're at around 220 pages at the moment, recently it's been hovering around the 200 mark (before December) ... if you then consider that in that every Advent post there could potentially be 12 (or even 24) individual competitions, there's definately more in December.

Although, in saying that, there might be less E: (normal) competitions because a lot of the companies are running advents instead of their standard comps, so it depends how you define it and if you include a daily advent as one competition or potentially 12, or 24
    Last edited by sleepyjones; 07-12-2017 at 8:03 AM.
    • krnries
    • By krnries 7th Dec 17, 8:05 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    krnries
    Couldn't you use the Game Over folder, sort into end date, and see how many pages have 31 Dec as their end dates as opposed to the other months?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,147Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter