Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LoveJ
    • By LoveJ 6th Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LoveJ
    Are tax credits back dated?
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    Are tax credits back dated? 6th Dec 17 at 11:09 AM
    I don't want to go into the full in and outs of things because it's complicated.

Basically some years ago from 08 to 2011, I worked two low paid jobs each earning around 160 pounds per week.

There is something at the back of my mind thinking there was something not quiet right with things. I think I may owe tax. I think there was one income declared and I'm not to sure about the other so I wouldn't have been paying the correct amount of tax for the combined income. Does that make sense?

Anyways this leaves me.with pure fear and dread and leaves me.sick to my stomach. I think I do owe tax and I don't know what way to go for with this. I'm on an extremely low income now and I can't afford a tax accountant or consultant. Not only that, I would find a tax liability hard to deal with.

Anyways I keep doing my own rough calculations as to how much I could earn.

I have one question if anyone would be able to answer me. Are tax credits like the pay as you earn credit applied to tax going back years. I think if tax credits are applied, this would be my only saving grace and the liability wouldn't be too heavy.
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    Can you clarify

Do you want to claim tax credits back to earlier years?

or

Do you get tax credits and want that money to be set off against any tax due?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,010Posts Today

6,195Users online

Martin's Twitter