Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 6th Dec 17, 10:56 AM
    • 96Posts
    • 51Thanks
    satchef1
    Problem with used PCP purchase before collection.
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:56 AM
    Problem with used PCP purchase before collection. 6th Dec 17 at 10:56 AM
    Hi,

I purchased a used car on PCP last week. I haven't collected it yet; collection was arranged for this afternoon. I called an hour ago to check everything is okay, only to be told it isn't. The SD card for the medianav system is missing. This is a fairly substantial problem because of how many of the car's features are controlled by this system (even the heating won't function properly). The dealership is estimating a week to get the replacement. Reports online suggest 4-6 weeks is more typical as the card is locked to that specific car, and has to come from Clarion in Japan.

My dilemma is this; I'm content enough to give the dealership a week to get it fixed. But I'm not happy with waiting 4-6 weeks (or more; it is Christmas) for it to be put right. I can cancel the finance, penalty free, provided this is done by Monday. After that, I'm not sure where I stand. Is it better to simply reject the car now and cancel the finance agreement? If I tell the dealership that I no longer want the car, as it isn't as advertised, do I have a right to my deposit back?

Thanks,

Stu
    Last edited by satchef1; 06-12-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Page 1
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 6th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    Ask if they'll give you a courtesy car after a week if they haven't sorted it by then and get it in writing. If they refuse then I'd take that as a prettty good indication that they don't really expect it to take a week.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 6th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 7,115 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    If it was me, I'd have searched the car myself, including in amongst the manual, just in case there's a quick and easy solution to all of this - they didn't look hard enough. Other quick and easy solution that MAY be possible - take one from another car if they have one.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Dec 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:59 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:59 PM
    The car will function absolutely fine without the Satnav SD card.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 15,806 Posts
    • 9,093 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    +1

Its just that the NAV wont work.

And they are usually readily available on ebay.

I got the latest 2017 one for my Passat on ebay.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 6th Dec 17, 2:52 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 5,509 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:52 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:52 PM
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    This is a fairly substantial problem because of how many of the car's features are controlled by this system (even the heating won't function properly).
    Originally posted by satchef1
    I'd be inclined to take it if they give you a courtesy car until you're satisfied.

If it's not a particularly rare car or super deal, I'd be inclined to just cancel it and get another one. Who knows what issues you'll have if the replacement isn't correct.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 15,806 Posts
    • 9,093 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    I'd be inclined to take it if they give you a courtesy car until you're satisfied.

If it's not a particularly rare car or super deal, I'd be inclined to just cancel it and get another one. Who knows what issues you'll have if the replacement isn't correct.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Its a memory card that only affects the sat nav?

They're an upgradeable item that can be updated yearly with the latest maps.

Cancelling the deal over a memory card seems a bit extreme IMHO
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 15,806 Posts
    • 9,093 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    O/P - whats the specific model and year of the car?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 15,806 Posts
    • 9,093 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:37 PM
    I'd suggest its something like this....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NISSAN-CONNECT-1-SAT-NAV-LCN1-LATEST-SD-CARD-V7-2016-2017-MAPS/253296099323?epid=529803661&hash=item3af99fbffb:g: DTIAAOSwUchZ6dEH
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 6th Dec 17, 4:21 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 5,509 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Its a memory card that only affects the sat nav?

They're an upgradeable item that can be updated yearly with the latest maps.

Cancelling the deal over a memory card seems a bit extreme IMHO
    Originally posted by motorguy
    With the way integration is going I wouldn't be surprised if the memory card needs to be in and validated for seemingly unrelated features to work. Potentially anything that's controlled from the touchscreen way depend on the sat nav working.

I'm not suggesting cancelling it because of the card, more the risk that getting a working replacement could take weeks.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Tarambor
    . Potentially anything that's controlled from the touchscreen way depend on the sat nav working.
    No it won't. You'll get a message about there being no SD card and you'll get an error message if you try to use the Satnav function but a car manufacturer would be hauled over the coals by the press if you couldn't use a car because of a corrupted SD card.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 15,806 Posts
    • 9,093 Thanks
    motorguy
    With the way integration is going I wouldn't be surprised if the memory card needs to be in and validated for seemingly unrelated features to work. Potentially anything that's controlled from the touchscreen way depend on the sat nav working.

I'm not suggesting cancelling it because of the card, more the risk that getting a working replacement could take weeks.
    No. It wont. It'll only impact the satnav.

I'd be very surprised if a card wasnt available on ebay or amazon.

We've got them for our 2016 Mercedes and for our 2016 Passat that way.
    • jeepjunkie
    • By jeepjunkie 7th Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    jeepjunkie
    Hmmm... Sounds like a Nissan Leaf, many functions stuffed without the SD card.
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 12th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    satchef1
    Yup. Nissan Leaf. So the assumptions in this thread are wrong; it's not just the Sat Nav that's affected. The entire MediaNav system just displays a blue error screen. No/wrong SD card? No SatNav. No radio. No Bluetooth. No access to the car's settings. No reversing camera or parking sensors. I've even seen some users suggest the Aircon doesn't work right without it (it's either full-blast, or off).

The dealer has offered me a courtesy car. But the dealership is a four hour round trip from my house, so I didn't take them up on it. Simply not worth it for a week.

I've since answered my question; I can reject the car within 30 days by going via the finance company. So no rush yet. The 14 day clause is in relation to settling the finance and has nothing to do with rejection.
    Last edited by satchef1; Yesterday at 10:47 AM.
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 12th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    satchef1
    The Leaf (maybe other Nissan cars too?) has two SD card slots. One is an expansion slot for map packs, which is where the cars you linked to goes. The other is for the firmware for the entire NAV system.

The cards are linked to the car. You can't just buy another one. I can only assume that at one point Nissan planned to vary software features by trim level, hence the need for such a daft system. I can't come up with any other sensible reason for putting key software on a user-accessible, removable, card.
    Last edited by satchef1; Yesterday at 10:46 AM.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 12th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    • 7,115 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    But the dealership is a four hour round trip from my house
    That's not their fault, and you chose to use them presumably. Offering a (similar) courtesy car looks reasonable to me.
    The Leaf (maybe other Nissan cars too?)
    Any (many?) R-Link equipped Renault has an SD card, and it's locked (via VIN?) to that vehicle - you can't just swap cards between cars.

Hopefully they can get you sorted quickly. Considering the lack of storage space required, you should think that this is the kind of thing that a dealership could do in-house (clone/create an SD card!).
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 12th Dec 17, 2:08 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    satchef1
    That's not their fault, and you chose to use them presumably. Offering a (similar) courtesy car looks reasonable to me.

Any (many?) R-Link equipped Renault has an SD card, and it's locked (via VIN?) to that vehicle - you can't just swap cards between cars.

Hopefully they can get you sorted quickly. Considering the lack of storage space required, you should think that this is the kind of thing that a dealership could do in-house (clone/create an SD card!).
    Originally posted by almillar
    Eugh... selective quoting.

I didn't suggest the dealership was being unreasonable. I stated that it isn't worth me making the trip to collect a courtesy car if mine will be ready in a week.

As for the Renault bit, again not comparable. I drive a Renault at the moment. If you remove the SD card, the maps disappear. It's a pretty standard set-up. The Nissan one is different.
    Last edited by satchef1; Yesterday at 3:16 PM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Dec 17, 2:17 PM
    • 15,806 Posts
    • 9,093 Thanks
    motorguy
    The Leaf (maybe other Nissan cars too?) has two SD card slots. One is an expansion slot for map packs, which is where the cars you linked to goes. The other is for the firmware for the entire NAV system.

The cards are linked to the car. You can't just buy another one. I can only assume that at one point Nissan planned to vary software features by trim level, hence the need for such a daft system. I can't come up with any other sensible reason for putting key software on a user-accessible, removable, card.
    Originally posted by satchef1
    I wholly stand corrected.

Every day is a school day...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

520Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter