Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carcuscrae
    • By carcuscrae 6th Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    • 261Posts
    • 47Thanks
    carcuscrae
    0 WOW
    Los Angeles
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    0 WOW
    Los Angeles 6th Dec 17 at 10:36 AM
    Hi

I'm lucky enough to be going to LA early next year and i'd like to do a tour of the city. I don't really want to do a huge bus tour but more of a personal smaller group tour (6-8 People). Has anyone here done anything like this and has any recommendations?

I have found a few sites that offer these sort of tours but having never been before I don't want to get caught out.

Many thanks for any help you can give.
Page 1
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 6th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    Could you not get a hire car and do a self-tour?

LA is very hard to get around without a car... the public transport is terrible.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 6th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    Problem being LA is 13 cities merged in to one.......you need to do a bit of research on exactly what you want
    We went in 2009 but did the usual theme parks, beaches, many studio tours and America's got talent TV show audience members
    • carcuscrae
    • By carcuscrae 6th Dec 17, 10:55 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    carcuscrae
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:55 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:55 AM
    Thanks for the reply but I don't really want to drive, plus I wouldn't know what the best bits are. Normally i'd agree with you that it would be the best way but LA is just so vast
    • carcuscrae
    • By carcuscrae 6th Dec 17, 10:56 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    carcuscrae
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:56 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:56 AM
    Problem being LA is 13 cities merged in to one.......you need to do a bit of research on exactly what you want
    We went in 2009 but did the usual theme parks, beaches, many studio tours and America's got talent TV show audience members
    Originally posted by gardner1
    Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what Studio Tours you did please? Is it possible to do a Universal Studios tour without doing the theme park?
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 6th Dec 17, 11:10 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:10 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:10 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what Studio Tours you did please? Is it possible to do a Universal Studios tour without doing the theme park?
    Originally posted by carcuscrae
    The Universal Studio tour is an add-on to the theme park, so it's not possible; You have to pay for the whole lot.

We went on the Warner Brothers tour last year. We saw trinkets from Batman and Harry Potter as well as the sets from Big Bang Theory and the Ellen Show among others. It was around 2 hours long if I recall correctly.

https://www.wbstudiotour.com/
    Last edited by stevenhp1987; 06-12-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Link
    • googler
    • By googler 6th Dec 17, 11:11 AM
    • 14,471 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    googler
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:11 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:11 AM
    What do you actually want to see, in general terms? The beach? The view from Griffith Park Observatory? The museums? The concert venues? The business district? The biggest record store in the city (Amoeba, on Sunset)?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 6th Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 7,285 Posts
    • 9,014 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    Get a car. Drive to Death Valley. Yosemite. Grand Canyon even.

So much better than the horror that is LA!
    • carcuscrae
    • By carcuscrae 6th Dec 17, 11:20 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    carcuscrae
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:20 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:20 AM
    Get a car. Drive to Death Valley. Yosemite. Grand Canyon even.

So much better than the horror that is LA!
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Been there, done that...and it was amazing
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Dec 17, 11:21 AM
    • 18,341 Posts
    • 7,589 Thanks
    richardw
    What do you actually want to see, in general terms? The beach? The view from Griffith Park Observatory? The museums? ....
    Originally posted by googler
    That's it really.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • carcuscrae
    • By carcuscrae 6th Dec 17, 11:21 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    carcuscrae
    What do you actually want to see, in general terms? The beach? The view from Griffith Park Observatory? The museums? The concert venues? The business district? The biggest record store in the city (Amoeba, on Sunset)?
    Originally posted by googler
    Basically we are there for 5 days so want to see as much as possible. Thought a tour would be the best way to see the highlights and then we can do anything else independently.

Thanks
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 6th Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    gardner1
    Originally posted by carcuscrae
    We did Sony and Universal studio tour both good but as somebody mentioned its an add on Sony tour was very good and well worth it
    • HappyFrog
    • By HappyFrog 6th Dec 17, 2:24 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    HappyFrog
    We did the 'A Day in LA Tours' full day tour and were very happy. It does all the main spots - Santa Monica, Hollywood Blvd, Griffith Park, Beverley Hills, and you have time to get out and have a look around at the various stops. They use smaller minibuses and have great guides. Very well organised and highly recommended. They even stop for lunch at a great farmers market with good choice of food options. We were based in Santa Monica and the tour started from there. This was a full day tour, so if you want to add on a Studio Tour you would need an extra day. Another good option for a day out is to hire a bike and cycle along the waterfront cycle path which is well laid out and covers around 30 miles in total.
    • carcuscrae
    • By carcuscrae 6th Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    carcuscrae
    We did the 'A Day in LA Tours' full day tour and were very happy. It does all the main spots - Santa Monica, Hollywood Blvd, Griffith Park, Beverley Hills, and you have time to get out and have a look around at the various stops. They use smaller minibuses and have great guides. Very well organised and highly recommended. They even stop for lunch at a great farmers market with good choice of food options. We were based in Santa Monica and the tour started from there. This was a full day tour, so if you want to add on a Studio Tour you would need an extra day. Another good option for a day out is to hire a bike and cycle along the waterfront cycle path which is well laid out and covers around 30 miles in total.
    Originally posted by HappyFrog
    Nice one as that was one of the tours i'd looked at. Do you remember roughly how many were on the tour and how long they stopped at the Farmers Market? Thanks
    • HappyFrog
    • By HappyFrog 6th Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    HappyFrog
    The minibuses are pretty much as they are shown on the website. In our bus there were around 12 of us, and it was very comfortable. We stopped for around an hour and a half at the farmers market for lunch. Enough time to get something to eat and have a quick look round. Enjoy your holiday - LA is a great city, despite the bad press it often gets.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 6th Dec 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    IAmWales
    I'd second the Sony Studios tour, far more realistic than the others.

Look at the bus tour reviews on TripAdvisor, definitely avoid the open top bus, that was awful.

Those criticising public transport in LA likely haven't tried it. I've been four times and used it to get everywhere.
    • carcuscrae
    • By carcuscrae 9th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    carcuscrae
    Thanks for all the replies so far, very much appreciated and very useful.

I've just seen the Go Card Los Angeles, has anyone used this before? It seems good value as you get free entry to Universal Studios if you buy a 3, 5 or 7 day card.

https://www.attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk/los-angeles-attraction-tickets/los-angeles-sightseeing/go-los-angeles-card

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,346Posts Today

8,115Users online

Martin's Twitter