Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 6th Dec 17, 10:30 AM
    • 2,890Posts
    • 1,151Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Paperless bills and statements a problem?
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:30 AM
    Paperless bills and statements a problem? 6th Dec 17 at 10:30 AM
    Hi everyone

Some of my bills are paperless (discounts), and I'm tempted to go paperless with bank statements for easiness really

Would a mortgage lender accept pdfs? Or printouts of bills? I believe I could request a printed bank statement, would this count as an 'original' document?

Also my passport's expired (still have driving license) - am I narrowing my options if I don't bother renewing passport?

Thank you
Page 1
    • Mortgage_Adviser
    • By Mortgage_Adviser 6th Dec 17, 10:37 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Mortgage_Adviser
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:37 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:37 AM
    I suggest uou go through the brokers as the brokers would email the lender with those PDFs and the lender will not know(and normally would not ask) if these are the paper documents scanned in to PC or if those alway were PDFs
    • ACG
    • By ACG 6th Dec 17, 10:38 AM
    • 15,907 Posts
    • 8,149 Thanks
    ACG
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:38 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:38 AM
    Most lenders are fine with paperless statements now a days.

If you have a driving license you should be fine.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Lunchbox
    • By Lunchbox 6th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Lunchbox
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    We’ve had no problem with paperless bills for the lender. The only problem we have had is proof of address for the solicitor’s ID checks - they want an original utility bill or council tax demand less than 3 months old (we only get the one copy in March), and our bills are all electronic. We’ve sent a print out of the electronic bill and are just crossing our fingers.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 6th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 32,391 Posts
    • 17,394 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    The three month thing usually applies to utility bills, but shouldn't apply to council tax bills and annual mortgage statements which are issued only once a year.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Kpossible929
    • By Kpossible929 6th Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Kpossible929
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    My wage slips are online and the bank was fine with a print out, they didn’t even question it. I also don’t have a passport and only have a provisional, the mortgage advisor told me that as long as it holds my current address it is absolutely fine and I wouldn’t need to apply for a passport, sure enough our mortgage offer was approved
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 6th Dec 17, 10:27 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:27 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:27 PM
    Thank you everyone ☺ it'll save us quite a bit not getting passports we don't otherwise need, I decided to not go any more paperless so I won't have to wait for it to be sent, so Im not necessarily reliant on brokers and so that if I unexpectedly kicked the can my wife could see my money. When I'm eventually mortgage free I might change...
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 7th Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    With us, going through a broker, everything was fine (most of our statements are paperless) as he submitted everything in pdf format, until we got to our Santander savings account (holding our deposit) which was paperless. The lender would not accept it as the Santander online statement pdfs do not include the address for the account, and this was something they insisted on having . In the end, we had to request a copy of the statement for the period they needed, and this took the best part of 2 weeks to arrive which caused some stress.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

450Posts Today

2,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin