Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • genericname111
    • By genericname111 6th Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    genericname111
    Virgin credit card interest on late payment charge
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    Virgin credit card interest on late payment charge 6th Dec 17 at 10:00 AM
    Hello,
    I have a quick question as I have spoken to Virgin on the phone to ask about charges on my credit card account- I was late with my payment last month, and thus I was charged
    a) late payment charge-9£, b) interest charge-2.05£ which the lady on the phone explained is an interest on the late payment charge! (I was also charged normal interest).
    I have never realised this can happen- is this a standard practice with other banks too? It seems little sketchy...
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    • 14,386 Posts
    • 15,174 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    Yes - it's standard practice.

However, the £2.05 will not all relate to the late payment charge of £9.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 6th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 4,176 Posts
    • 1,527 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    Yes this is standard practice as the charge is still a amount that is payable.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 6th Dec 17, 10:49 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:49 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:49 PM
    Or to put it a different way: Charges are added to the balance which is then subject to interest.

However there is not a lot to stop you adding together the charge and the interest accrued by that charge and then complaining that the total charge is unfair. The question is whether it's worthwhile to do that for such a small amount of money.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 7th Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    The interest will be due to the late payment making the interest free grace period on purchases invalid.

You have been charged interest on the amount borrowed for the length of borrowing.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

614Posts Today

4,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• RT @bbclaurak: Thanks Martin - we know we can?t please all the people all the time (stands by for grief) but try hard to show how it actual?

• Morning. I'm on my way to my last @GMB 7:40 deals of the week of 2017. This week including gift card warning, free? https://t.co/2dcNviXxsN

• Follow Martin