Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joseph92Saver
    • By Joseph92Saver 6th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joseph92Saver
    Contents insurance claim after burglary
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    Contents insurance claim after burglary 6th Dec 17 at 9:49 AM
    Hello everyone and thanks for reading, I didn't know anywhere else I could turn to for advice in regards to this and I'm completely lost.
    Our house was broken into over the weekend via someone putting a brick through the window, letting themselves in, unlocking the back door and taking our belongings.
    Quite a substantial value of items were taken of which Including gold jewellery, diamond engagement ring, diamond earrings, a huge DVD collection Inside of a carry case, an old gameboy and a sentimental collection of Pokemon cards of which I've owned for 15+ years.
    I've got valuations for most of the jewellery and photos for proof. I was given a crime reference number and made a claim to my insurance, they have arranged a telephone appointment with me later today to discuss matters.
    I'm still completely shaken up by the break in and I don't even know if anything else has been taken, I spoke to a lady yesterday from the insurance company and I found her to be very rude and not at all sympathetic. I'm slightly worried about the telephone appointment as when I've made a claim in the past for a lost engagement ring we were questioned as if we had done something wrong and made to feel guilty, we have however changed insurers since then but I just feel I'm going to be interrogated and made to feel guilty of something. Has anyone got any advice or could talk me through the next steps of the process, I was also informed this appointment will progress the claim to the next step & a loss adjuster will be appointed. Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Dec 17, 9:51 AM
    • 14,331 Posts
    • 15,095 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:51 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:51 AM
    You simply need to answer their questions.

No need to feel guilty about anything as long as you have nothing to feel guilty about.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    • 33,473 Posts
    • 17,354 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    Insurers always do ensure a claim is genuine.

But don't worry. It's the norm to have questions to answer, take your time and concentrate on the questions not the attitude of the interviewer
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 6th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    Having an appointment on the phone for a high value theft is completely normal.

Your insurer may be taking extra precaution on your claim due to the previous loss of the diamond engagement ring.

Answer all the questions honestly, be polite, do your best not to be short with the handler and provide your proofs, and it'll sail through I'm sure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter