Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DougalG1
    • By DougalG1 6th Dec 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DougalG1
    Grandfathers pension contacted me
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:48 AM
    Grandfathers pension contacted me 6th Dec 17 at 9:48 AM
    My grandfather passed away 8 years ago and I registered his death for my father. I have now received a letter from royal London with regards to pensions he held and if I was next of kin to pay out to. There was a form enclosed which I have completed with my fathers details as he is next of kin not myself.
    Everything seemed official but I'm now panicking if it's a scam. Can anyone please advise
Page 1
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 6th Dec 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:56 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:56 AM
    Can anyone please advise
    Originally posted by DougalG1
    Not based on the information you have provided. How would anyone on here know?

If you have any concerns then ring Royal London. They will soon tell you whether the inquiry was genuine or not.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 6th Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 3,433 Posts
    • 5,251 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    It's only a scam if they ask you for money.

Royal London's official contact details are here. Ring them up with the policy number, tell them you are administering the estate and check it exists.

If your grandfather held a defined contribution pension there will be a death benefit payment which will be paid out at the trustees' discretion. "Next of kin" is legally meaningless, but assuming your grandfather had not nominated anyone to receive death benefits, and didn't leave any other dependents, they will probably pay out to your father.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,012Posts Today

7,774Users online

Martin's Twitter