Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hairymonster
    • By Hairymonster 6th Dec 17, 9:36 AM
    • 88Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Hairymonster
    HELP with government funded childcare in Scotland
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:36 AM
    HELP with government funded childcare in Scotland 6th Dec 17 at 9:36 AM
    Hi All,

I was told a while back that the government were now offering a new scheme that they will pay 20% of childcare up to £2000 per annum. I can only find out the information on this in England but not in Scotland so really need an idiots guide into getting it in place prior to my wee one going to childcare in February.

Also to make things more complicated my wifes work still offer the childcare vouchers scheme but my work don't so wondering which scheme is more beneficial. Her work gives her the option of claiming £243 per month childcare vouchers which are deducted from her salary but she pays no tax on them. She's on £27.9k per annum.

I'm guessing the Government funding of 20% more beneficial since only one of us can claim for childcare vouchers?

Childcare costs without any funding is:

February to August: £1667.25 (inspectorate registered childminder)
    August onwards annually: £4264 (Nursery)
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 6th Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 4,690 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    The tax free childcare is for the whole of the UK.

Use the calculator here to see what scheme is best for you - https://www.gov.uk/childcare-calculator
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 6th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 6,931 Thanks
    Mupette
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    As far as i am aware (working in the childcare voucher field) as from April the TFC will be wildly available where as right now it isn't.

www.giveyourselfachoice.com will help you decide which is better for you. This website will give you information on both, will provide tools to help you make this decision.

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

368Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter