Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jimmycam
    • By jimmycam 6th Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jimmycam
    Barclays security measures
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    Barclays security measures 6th Dec 17 at 9:27 AM
    Was impressed this morning, I was with my partner at a Cambridgeshire marina buying a yacht for £47,000 when barclays text me to say did I make this transaction, text back with Y or N.

Was very impressed with their security measures, i said to my partner ďRita, look at this isnít this goodĒ.

But tonight will be our first night aboard our new ocean going vessel. If Iím lucky it may even rock for a good 2 minutes.
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 6th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    Are you sailing with your celebrity girlfriend?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 6th Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    northwalesd
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    Fancy that, going out with Rita Tanner from Corrie
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Dec 17, 12:52 PM
    • 5,911 Posts
    • 5,886 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:52 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:52 PM
    Was impressed this morning, I was with my partner at a Cambridgeshire marina buying a yacht for £47,000 when barclays text me to say did I make this transaction, text back with Y or N.

Was very impressed with their security measures, i said to my partner ďRita, look at this isnít this goodĒ.

But tonight will be our first night aboard our new ocean going vessel. If Iím lucky it may even rock for a good 2 minutes.
    Originally posted by jimmycam
    If you're going to an ocean in a vessel costing only £47K, you'll be lucky if it floats for a good 2 minutes....
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 6th Dec 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:24 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:24 PM
    Called off the Los Angeles trip did you? Are there actually any Marinas in Cambridgeshire, as it isn't noted for seafaring...
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 6th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    Really? Are you sure....

Hello

I'm new here and after some advice.

I am rebuilding my credit rating now I am back in full time employment. I have total debts of approx £3k with various credit cards, catalogues, and overdrafts. They will all be paid off before Christmas with all the payment arrangements I have in place.

My clearscore 2 months ago was 0/700, then last month it went to 7/700, and this month its 30/700.

I use my Barclays Current Account for all my direct debits to go out of... but I have an old Lloyds account which I don't use. I'm wondering if to keep this on and use it for wages and just transfer enough to cover my direct debits into Barclays each month... or should I close my lloyds account I rarely use and have all my money go into Barclays.

From a standpoint of wanting to improve my credit rating, will it look better or worse on my credit file to have 2 current accounts?

(Btw I have had quite a lot of unauthorised overdrafts on my lloyds acct while I was out of work so wondered if it would be best to shut that account down so it appears as a closed acct on my file).
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 6th Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    It's all down to the fact I've just entered a relationship with a famous musician, who sang the soundtrack to a previous 50 shades film
    No one called Rita has sang on any of the 50 Soundtracks...
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 6th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    Called off the Los Angeles trip did you? Are there actually any Marinas in Cambridgeshire, as it isn't noted for seafaring...
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    It is a county of waterways, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a marina of some type. But restrictions on beam, draft and height mean the OP is probably thinking more 'dinghy' than oligarch's status symbol.

Hopefully 'Rita' is comfortable in small spaces and enjoys wearing immersion suits. Doesn't sound much like a rock-star lifestyle to me.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 6th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    18cc
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    For their yacht-buying customers, Barclays don't sent security texts unless the purchase is over £250k.
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 6th Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall

It's all a matter of timing though, isn't it. You wouldn't be so pleased if the text from Barclays arrived during the two minutes that the boat is rocking!
    • jimmycam
    • By jimmycam 6th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimmycam
    You spoil sports, and my partner Rita didnít just sing for the film she also appeared in the film.

No Los Angeles was great thanks, we only nipped out for a quick business meeting regarding an upcoming ITV2 show about our lives.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 6th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    I've got bad news Jimmy, she's cheating on you.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5150499/Rita-Ora-FINALLY-confirms-romance-Andrew-Watt.html
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 6th Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,911 Thanks
    Biggles
    If you're going to an ocean in a vessel costing only £47K, you'll be lucky if it floats for a good 2 minutes....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    And she'll be lucky if it rocks for all of two minutes! I give it 20 seconds,
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 6th Dec 17, 4:42 PM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    EachPenny
    It's all a matter of timing though, isn't it. You wouldn't be so pleased if the text from Barclays arrived during the two minutes that the boat is rocking!
    Originally posted by MarkFromCornwall
    At least they only text you to ask if you really want to make a withdrawal. Imagine if they also asked for verification every time you make a deposit.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 6th Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    You spoil sports, and my partner Rita didnít just sing for the film she also appeared in the film.

No Los Angeles was great thanks, we only nipped out for a quick business meeting regarding an upcoming ITV2 show about our lives.
    She didn't sing for the film at all?
    • jimmycam
    • By jimmycam 6th Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimmycam
    You all seem to be presuming Iím with Rita ora?
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 6th Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    They walk among us.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 6th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    You all seem to be presuming Iím with Rita ora?
    Actually no one is presuming that.
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 6th Dec 17, 6:09 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    But anyway back in the real world.

I also am impressed by Barclays security I have just filled in the forms for a new Direct Debit and received an e- mail from Barclays advising me of a new DD on my account.

Quite impressed this is the first time I have had this.
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 6th Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    JGUK

Thanks
    JG
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter