Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joAnn
    • By joAnn 6th Dec 17, 8:23 AM
    • 72Posts
    • 9Thanks
    joAnn
    Landlord taking the .....?!
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:23 AM
    Landlord taking the .....?! 6th Dec 17 at 8:23 AM
    We asked our landlord for 2 additional keys - daughter mislaid one and new au pair needed one. Happy to pay the money banham charged for new keys plus cover cost of secure postage. Landlord sent me receipts for keys and postage amounting to £42.65 but then asked me to round up to £45 to cover cost of time and transportation to nearest banham Office. I'm a bit shocked! I don't mind the £2odd but I do feel slightly as if we are being squeezed for every penny and not sure how to respond?!
    Any suggestions?
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 6th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 9,103 Posts
    • 12,069 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    As a landlord if a key is mislaid I'd replace the lock, more expensive.

£5 says YOUR insurance won't pay out if stuff is stolen without forced entry & key mislaid.

Oh the stress of the new au-pair:. Poor you.

This isn't a wind up is it?
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 6th Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    I suggest you respond by sending them the £45.

Afterall, they have taken the time and trouble to get two new keys cut for you following your negligence (or rather, your daughter's) and the addition to your householder.
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 6th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Katapolt
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    We asked our landlord for 2 additional keys - daughter mislaid one and new au pair needed one. Happy to pay the money banham charged for new keys plus cover cost of secure postage. Landlord sent me receipts for keys and postage amounting to £42.65 but then asked me to round up to £45 to cover cost of time and transportation to nearest banham Office. I'm a bit shocked! I don't mind the £2odd but I do feel slightly as if we are being squeezed for every penny and not sure how to respond?!
    Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by joAnn
    In future id just go down to Timpsons and pay a tenner for 2 new keys...

You are lucky they didnt change the locks tbh, you can never be to careful these days.
    By Day: Property Development Administrator
    By Night: Personal Trainer.

FTB 2017 - Only 30 years until I can work one job!
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 6th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 9,038 Posts
    • 59,497 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    Respond by settling the bill as given.

You should be paying reasonable cost for the issuing of new keys,that does vary from one LA/LL to the next.
    The LL has documented and provided receipts so it's clear that the charge has not been overinflated....they could have charged a taxi to transport it to the office and again provided a receipt...the bill would probably have been higher...but at least I guess you may have seen that as a justifiable expense because the LL was not profiting?

My son is currently in rented accommodation and the duplicate key cost is £50 per key and £25 for each additional...you've got quite a good deal in my opinion.
    Last edited by LEJC; 06-12-2017 at 9:15 AM.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 160 out 139 in ...£18.64 spend
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 6th Dec 17, 9:52 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:52 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:52 AM
    Every lost key and additional key is a security risk for the LL. High charge encourages tenants to be more careful, security conscious and avoid invalidating his insurance and yours again.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • joAnn
    • By joAnn 6th Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    joAnn
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    I have no problem paying for new keys for my own convenience. The key my daughter mislaid is in the house, just needle In a haystack. I was just a bit surprised someone would think to add the cost of transport etc, as it's not something I would even think of myself. For over two years the Heating system in the house was sluggish and required serious attention and forced our energy costs through the roof as we tried to keep the house warm. We also overpaid them once £2.50 and they asked for my bank details to repay it but I let it go!
    As for comments about our au pair - what is the relevance to my original post? Nobody knows what our circumstances are and how we organise this!
    • LKRDN_Morgan
    • By LKRDN_Morgan 6th Dec 17, 10:24 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    LKRDN_Morgan
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:24 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:24 AM
    Pay up and lesson learned. Donít ask the LL to do something you could have done at a fraction of the price.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 6th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    I have no problem paying for new keys for my own convenience. The key my daughter mislaid is in the house, just needle In a haystack. I was just a bit surprised someone would think to add the cost of transport etc, as it's not something I would even think of myself. For over two years the Heating system in the house was sluggish and required serious attention and forced our energy costs through the roof as we tried to keep the house warm. We also overpaid them once £2.50 and they asked for my bank details to repay it but I let it go!
    As for comments about our au pair - what is the relevance to my original post? Nobody knows what our circumstances are and how we organise this!
    I think the LL has been remarkably restrained in only charging you £45. They are running a business and this must have taken a non trivial amount of time to sort out, particularly if they had to travel to a Banham store to get the keys. I think £25 on top to cover the LL's time would still have been reasonable.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 6th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    Your LL is running a business - you are not. Transport costs are a legitimate business expense and thus chargeable to the client. I think you've got off lightly as they could quite easily have added an admin charge as well.

The heating issue is totally irrelevant to your OP.

The fact that they were happy to refund your £2.50 suggests to me that they are not trying to squeeze every last penny out of you as you suggest.
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 6th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 6,247 Posts
    • 6,029 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I was just a bit surprised someone would think to add the cost of transport etc, as it's not something I would even think of myself.
    If you were running a business then surely you would consider the time and overheads involved in carrying out a task, not merely pass on the costs of your suppliers? There are amateur eBay sellers who would "round up" by more than that for the time they spend packing and queuing at the post office.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 6th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    • 8,334 Posts
    • 27,973 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Why did you mention it in the first place then? you could have just said you needed replacement keys, you're the one who dragged the au pair in to it.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 6th Dec 17, 10:57 AM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    eddddy
    Pay up and lesson learned. Donít ask the LL to do something you could have done at a fraction of the price.
    Originally posted by LKRDN_Morgan
    It depends what kind of Banham key it is.

Banhams supply patented keys, which are registered, and the 'property owner' is provided with an ID card to prove they have the right to request copies.

They're intended for property owners (like landlords) who want to keep track of every copy of the key, and who has it etc.

Because the key is patented by Banhams, it is illegal for anyone else to copy it (although you might find a dodgy back-street bloke who's prepared to break the law - at the right price.)

(I'm not sure why the posts on thread his thread seem to be getting so unpleasant.)
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 6th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    csgohan4
    money is time, you have found that out the hard way
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 13,991 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I have no problem paying for new keys for my own convenience. The key my daughter mislaid is in the house, just needle In a haystack.
    So you say, but are you 100% sure? If your daughter knew where she'd mislaid it, then she'd be able to find it, right...?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    • 42,252 Posts
    • 49,054 Thanks
    G_M
    Pretty universal opinns so far.

Like others, I'd say you got off lightly. To me, a lost key = new lock required. What's the point of a lock if Tom !!!! or Harry (hmmm, Jane should be added to the list these days) picks up the key.

It's 'somewhere in the house'? Maybe. Maybe not. The landord does not know that for sure even if you think you know it for sure.

edit: Richard seems to be distrusted by the forum......
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 6th Dec 17, 12:46 PM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    csgohan4
    to be fair if the LL was a solicitor, they could easily charge 100+ pounds just for the time to send the key, so you got off lightly.

It may take a few minutes for you, but it's time lost at work, lunch hour, you can't buy time back, hence reasonable remuneration is the way forward.

Nothing personal but it's business and the mistake was not theirs but the tenants. If you paid a tradesman for a new lock and installation, you could be looking around 100+ anyways
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • joAnn
    • By joAnn 6th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    joAnn
    It depends what kind of Banham key it is.

Banhams supply patented keys, which are registered, and the 'property owner' is provided with an ID card to prove they have the right to request copies.

They're intended for property owners (like landlords) who want to keep track of every copy of the key, and who has it etc.

Because the key is patented by Banhams, it is illegal for anyone else to copy it (although you might find a dodgy back-street bloke who's prepared to break the law - at the right price.)

(I'm not sure why the posts on thread his thread seem to be getting so unpleasant.)
    Originally posted by eddddy
    That's exactly why we had to get the landlord to supply new keys as they are registered and only they can order them, otherwise I would have done that myself.
    Thanks to all those who have helpfully pointed out the landlords point of view - always useful to have some clarity about the other side of the coin.
    I am pretty dismayed that some of the comments on here are becoming unpleasant! What are some people's problems?! I happened to mention our circumstances and there are some very judgmental and unnecessary remarks. Slave labour? Cheaper than a nanny?? When you know my circumstances and requirements, please make informed comments.
    • joAnn
    • By joAnn 6th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    joAnn
    Why did you mention it in the first place then? you could have just said you needed replacement keys, you're the one who dragged the au pair in to it.
    Originally posted by fairy lights

What is your point?
    • joAnn
    • By joAnn 6th Dec 17, 12:54 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    joAnn
    presumably you have an au pair because they are cheaper than a "proper" qualified nanny, even then I'll bet you pay your au pair more than £2 per hour for their work or I'd be more than shocked, I'd be talking about slavery
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Can you explain how this comment is relevant? Until you know my circumstances, or what our arrangements are, please refrain from making speculative judgments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,726Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin