Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MikeWarner
    • By MikeWarner 6th Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MikeWarner
    Ryanair Cancelled Flight For 3 - Offered 8% of Total Claimed
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:09 AM
    Ryanair Cancelled Flight For 3 - Offered 8% of Total Claimed 6th Dec 17 at 8:09 AM
    Hi All. We were one of the first impacted by the recent Ryanair cancellations, in fact this hit the news the day after our flight was cancelled. It was cancelled at 5:30pm the day before the flight which was due to leave at 8am. No other Ryanair flights were available to transfer to.

We put in a claim for genuine expenses to cover the additional cost of a different flight (booked through Easyjet). Firstly, the new flight was from an airport which cost more to get to by taxi as it was 3x further away from our home. Due to missing our booked (and non-refundable) transfer, we had to make other arrangements at additional cost.

In addition to this, we also claimed Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 compensation, so 3x 250€. The claim we put in amounted for around just over £900. Note that the original cost of the flight was claimed for and refunded separately already, as such the claim I'm posting about only accounts for additional costs incurred.

Yesterday we got a letter advising they would 'refund' £73.10. This is £24 per person. This a complete joke and offensive to be honest. I'm a little confused by the use of the term 'refund', as it is compensation, but likely just poor wording on their part more than anything else. The letter says the offer is final and that a cheque will be going in the post in the next few days.

Please could someone advise our best course of action to seek the compensation claimed in full?

Many thanks for any help given.

Mike
Page 1
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Dec 17, 8:21 AM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:21 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:21 AM
    What does their response say exactly? Have they explicitly denied your claim for EU compensation? Does the £73.10 add up with anything? E.g. is it the difference between your new flights and the amount you have already been refunded?

I think you will struggle to get the cost of getting to your airport refunded but if your flight wasn't cancelled due to extraordinary cicrumstances you should get back whatever you paid for the new flight (minus whatever you were refunded for your original tickets) + EU compensation.
    • MikeWarner
    • By MikeWarner 6th Dec 17, 8:32 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MikeWarner
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:32 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:32 AM
    It doesn't qualify the amount offered in any way and the amount does not equate to anything. It doesn't even cover the additional cost of the alternative flight. The letter says:

I wish to confirm that a compensation cheque has been authorised for the amount of 73.10 GBP in full and final settlement of your claim and in accordance with Article 7 of EU Regulation 261/2004 and this will be sent on to you in due course within the next 14 days.

Thank you for flying with us and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you on–board another Ryanair flight again soon.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    I would give them a call to find out what's going on. Could be something as innocent as a typo in the email they sent. Article 7 of EU261 covers cash compensation but obviously £73.10 doesn't match up with anything.
    • MikeWarner
    • By MikeWarner 6th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MikeWarner
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    I'm wondering if it should be £731.00 (i.e. the decimal in in the wrong place). Based on current exchange rates, the 3x 250€ plus the additional cost of the flights would be £744.97.....so pretty close.

Is it even possible to phone them? I've tried emailing in the past, but no email address appears to be manned, resulting in a bounce back.

Thanks for your help.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    That certainly sounds like a possibility.

Phone numbers are on their website. They also have a chat service.
    • MikeWarner
    • By MikeWarner 6th Dec 17, 12:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MikeWarner
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:07 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:07 PM
    I just used the chat service, but got a lot of standard responses which were no real help. I've submitted a complaint using their online form. I'm guessing they will take their time in responding, but I'll update here when something happens.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

728Posts Today

4,505Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Should pubs and restaurants be made by law to allow non customers (behaving reasonably) to use their toilets?

• Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• Follow Martin