Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jack 121
    • By jack 121 6th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jack 121
    Rat attack.
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:59 AM
    Rat attack. 6th Dec 17 at 7:59 AM
    Sorry, i don't know exactly where to put this question.
    Sorry if this the wrong section.
    Got rats running around my house.
    I have purchased cheap traps, from the poundshop, all the way up to top of the range ones which state
    " guaranteed to catch " But nothing. The rats will not go into any of the traps.
    Have tried every kind of bait, but the rats will not eat the bait.
    Even heard that rats like chocolate, so gently melted some chocolate and mixed the bait in, but they will not even eat chocolate.
    Desperatly need recommendations for any good bait/poison. Have you tried anything and got good results, commercial stuff or even homemade.
    Many thanks. Sorry again if this question is in the wrong place.
Page 1
    • madjackslam
    • By madjackslam 6th Dec 17, 9:14 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    madjackslam
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:14 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:14 AM
    Does your local council provide a rat-catching service (which you'd probably have to pay for)? Personally if they are in the house I wouldn't be trying to sort it out myself.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 6th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    Have you tried peanut butter?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 6th Dec 17, 11:47 AM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 7,782 Thanks
    Farway
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:47 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:47 AM
    I'm with madjack on this, get the "pay for" council in

Not being rude but is there a reason they are in, opened food containers, over grown garden next door, chickens kept next door for instance?
    • wallace7
    • By wallace7 6th Dec 17, 11:23 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    wallace7
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:23 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:23 PM
    Get someone who has a couple of terriers to come round they will soon clear them out of your house.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    • 15,436 Posts
    • 38,764 Thanks
    elsien
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    I'd go for the council option as well. Have sorted out a mouse problem myself but rats are a different ballgame. Any idea where the nests are/what's attracting them?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • jack 121
    • By jack 121 7th Dec 17, 7:28 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jack 121
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:28 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:28 AM
    Thanks for the replies. What i have been told by the neighbours is that there is a nest of them underground, and they keep popping in whenever they feel like, i think this is what is atttracting them to come in. Apart from that i always put food away in cupboards or in the fridge.
    I think the neighbours have them as well, but there is a certain stigma attached and no one particularly wants to talk about it.
    I have been thinking about rentokill and the council, but they charge per visit.
    I was wondering if you knew any good bait/poison to get rid of them. I googled and spent the morning reading old posts and everyone says rodents love chocolate, but i can't get them to eat the stuff, not even the smallest of nibbles. It appears they know i am trying to get rid of them, and they even walk around the house quietly, trying to fool me into thinking they have left.
    Perhaps the bait i have been buying from the local shops is no good, so would desperatly love some recommendations if you have tried and had success with anything.
    I will give the peanut butter a try today. Would love some ideas or encouragement.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by jack 121; 07-12-2017 at 7:29 AM. Reason: typo
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 7th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 3,884 Posts
    • 7,897 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    They can smell human if you handle the traps... Gloves may help... Marigolds or surgical type, not sweaty warm ones. Move some traps regularly, never move others. Some rats hate novelty, so avoid new traps.

Sonic repellent devices can work well inside houses. Not on their own, but combined with cleanliness and traps.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 7th Dec 17, 9:20 AM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:20 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:20 AM
    Rats are clever. My area is infested with them but fortunately they stay outside. If they ever started coming in then I'd have the council round whatever it cost. My only caveat would be if I knew someone with a terrier - like Wallace7 I reckon a terrier would be far more effective than bait or traps.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    • 26,230 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    If there is a hole and your not on a water meter, stick a hose down it and leave it running for a while.

Did that at my sisters and nothing for ages then a bundle of wet rats at the hole, i grabbed the rake and got one of them, the others went in all directions.

As above if the traps new and smells odd they will avoid it, place a couple with food normally found in the area, the bait food will smell odd to them.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 8th Dec 17, 8:50 AM
    • 26,245 Posts
    • 33,332 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    If there is a hole and your not on a water meter, stick a hose down it and leave it running for a while.

Did that at my sisters and nothing for ages then a bundle of wet rats at the hole, i grabbed the rake and got one of them, the others went in all directions.

As above if the traps new and smells odd they will avoid it, place a couple with food normally found in the area, the bait food will smell odd to them.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    To add to that, try pouring a can of Creosote down the hole, its overpowering and they don't like it.
    For the rats we have we put poison blocks inside a piece of pipe laid along the bottom of an outside wall.
    Check all the possible means of entry to the house, broken air bricks etc they have to have some means of access to the house apart from the back door.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • jack 121
    • By jack 121 9th Dec 17, 6:45 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jack 121
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
    The council want £45 as a call out charge, then labour, traps, bait etc are charged on top. Looks to be nearly a hundred pounds for one visit. Going to need several visits, maybe hundreds of pounds. I'm really worried, i can't afford it.
    They rats usually climb up the walls and get into the loft. It's warmer up there and they have the loft insulation to snuggle in to. Do you think it may be a good idea to board up the top of the walls where they meet with the loft and block the access.
    Many thanks.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 9th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 26,245 Posts
    • 33,332 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Why not, it'd help insulate the place. Don't forget to allow some ventilation though.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Do you think it may be a good idea to board up the top of the walls where they meet with the loft and block the access.
    Originally posted by jack 121
    Since that's part of the ventilation of the house, I'd strongly recommend you do not block up the eaves.

If your neighbours also have the rat problem, I'd say it is serious enough for Environmental Health to become involved.

There must be a localised food supply easily available to them. Do you (or your neighbours) leave pet food out, for example? This is often overlooked. You should also clear out all your food cupboards and check that the food in them isn't being raided. Items in cardboard boxes should be transferred to plastic or metal containers.

Do you have overflowing rubbish bins nearby? Ensure the lids are closed and that the rubbish is not accessible.

Brush up crumbs and don't be tempted to put food waste from dinner plates etc down the sink.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 2,971 Thanks
    sheramber
    The problem with using bait is that the rats die and decompose and stink to the high heavens.

Bad enough if they die on an accessible place but if they die in a wall cavity , for example, you can have big problems trying to get rid of the smell.

Rather than board up ventilation to the attic can you use strong metal mesh which would still let air in but stop the rats getting in? But make sure there are none in the attic first.

However, they may just find another way in.

If you can identify where the nests are the land owner would be responsible for clearing them. If they are continuing to breed there will always be more to move in where the first are killed so only killing them in your house won't solve the problem.
    • zaax
    • By zaax 9th Dec 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    zaax
    Get a tom cat & female cat (both nutered of course)
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • jack 121
    • By jack 121 10th Dec 17, 8:21 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jack 121
    Thanks for the replies.
    I will check up on that.
    It sounds like a long term problem. I had an idea, do you think it may be plausible to stuff fibreglass wadding type material into the space behind the skirting boards. The rats are using this space to travel from room to room.
    The fibreglass has bits of glass in it, when they try to push their way through it may hopefully jab into them and deter them from coming into the property.

Thank you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    do you think it may be plausible to stuff fibreglass wadding type material into the space behind the skirting boards.
    Originally posted by jack 121
    This would be a waste of time and money, I'm afraid. They simply need to be denied a food supply..
    • mumf
    • By mumf 10th Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    mumf
    Get a pest control firm in,pronto.You have a problem there that is beyond your control.I keep fowls and birds,and I have two awfully overgrown tips for gardens either side.Therefore I keep bait points and trap points down permanently. I get signs of pests,both rat and mouse occasionally, so the bait gets changed,as they become resistant.I have no real problems,as my regime is planned not reactive

If they are in your house though,you have real problems and you need the big guns.Chemical warfare.You do know about Weil's Disease? That's what rats can cause.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,728Posts Today

6,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin