Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ferry
    • By ferry 6th Dec 17, 7:50 AM
    • 1,617Posts
    • 248Thanks
    ferry
    Switching bank accounts question
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:50 AM
    Switching bank accounts question 6th Dec 17 at 7:50 AM
    Hi

Im looking to switch from my current bank Barclays to First Direct.
    Once the switch completes will Barclays automatically close the account or will it remain open? I would like to use my Barclays account just as a secondary account.

Thank you
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 6th Dec 17, 7:51 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:51 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:51 AM
    If you use the switch service your old account will close.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 6th Dec 17, 8:06 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:06 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:06 AM
    Hi

Im looking to switch from my current bank Barclays to First Direct.
    Once the switch completes will Barclays automatically close the account or will it remain open? I would like to use my Barclays account just as a secondary account.

Thank you
    Originally posted by ferry
    You can open a new First Direct current account without switching but you will not receive the £100 * switching bonus from First Direct. You can then keep your Barclays account as a secondary account.

First Direct offer the switching bonus so that you switch all of your banking from your old account to your new account. This will involve closing your old account so that you cannot continue to use it.

If you kept your old account open then First Direct does not really get anything out of you for the £100 that they are paying you.

* PS: If you switch via MSE by 23:59 on Monday 11th December, then the switching bonus will be £125.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#firstdirect
    Last edited by RG2015; 06-12-2017 at 8:12 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

2,867Users online

Martin's Twitter