Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 6th Dec 17, 6:08 AM
    • 2,901Posts
    • 39,404Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Wednesday 6 December 2017
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:08 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 6 December 2017 6th Dec 17 at 6:08 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 6 December 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, dry with no frost, but forecast says it'll get colder over the next few days.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was gammon, egg, chips/jacket potato, peas/veg - all eaten and enjoyed. I remembered to get the chicken out to defrost so tonight we'll be having chicken in country sauce, mash and veg.

Yesterday work was all or nothing again, although I did a different job in the afternoon and that was busy. We'll see how today goes, hopefully quite busy as I'm working all day and have my later finish tonight.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 06-12-2017 at 6:15 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 6th Dec 17, 6:35 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 41,855 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:35 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:35 AM
    Morning All

Breezy but dry for now, rain due all day - perhaps my car will get a rinse!

Went to a local Am-Dram panto last night which was absolutely awful! Still, we had a good giggle.

Really must do some wrapping tonight, my kitchen table is disappearing under the guddle.

Hope the poorly legs are healing, glad you had a good weekend with Becky dumpling.
    Happy cooking RR!

Have a good Wednesday, take care. XX
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Dec 17, 6:38 AM
    • 15,627 Posts
    • 127,675 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:38 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:38 AM
    Good Morning everyone and thank you for starting us off nmlc.

Well very mild this morning but due to get pretty nippy and windy by friday.I have some ironing to knock out this morning as my washing dried yesterday a blow on the line to damp dry then the airer in the conservatory to finish it off.I shall be ruthless though and only iron what's necessary to do

We won a bottle of plonk at the pub quiz last night and had two new ladies join the team which was nice. So now have 4 bottles ov vino in stock when I get a dozen I give everyone a bottle each.I have a 'float of 12 members ,some of whom come regularly and some can only make it once or twice a month. But we make up two teams in the pub and wave the U3A flag

Hope everyone has a good day ,mid week already and the time is flying by.

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 6th Dec 17, 6:56 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:56 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:56 AM
    Good morning all, seems dry out there as far as I can see, and not too cold, but as others have said it's going to change.
    Yesterday went more or less as planned, and we went out for our Indian meal last night, which was very nice.
    I must do some ironing today, or a huge pile will develop. I think it multiplies in the night.
    Card writing and present wrapping should be started as well. I'll force myself on instead of sitting about reading, and generally doing b***er all.
    Hope everyone has a good Wednesday.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Dec 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 9,908 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:59 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:59 AM
    Morning everyone

Thank you all for your kind wishes about my knee, they are much appreciated. Iím pleased that it seems a bit better this morning. It isnít quite as painful but still looks as red and swollen. Hopefully it is on the mend now.

Csarina Ė I really feel for you, a UTI is horrible and so draining on you generally.
    Cranky Hopefully your leg starts to get better soon as well. That Manuka stuff sounds painful.
    Dumpling Itís good to hear that Becky had a successful visit home and you all enjoyed it.

I did manage to get the sitting room and my bedroom dusted yesterday. I will vacuum through today and if I can I will give the bathroom a decent clean, Iíll see how it goes.

Iím going to go and get another cuppa now and something for breakfast. For some reason Iím starving this morning. I think Iíll have scrambled eggs on toast and then a Greek yoghurt with some honey to fill me up. The ready meals Iíve been eating are ok, but they donít seem to fill me up like a home cooked meal does. I think I will try and prepare some veg sitting down and put a casserole in the slow cooker.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 6th Dec 17, 7:10 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 17,756 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:10 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:10 AM
    Good morning everyone

I've been a busy bee this morning and prepped and mostly cooked a lamb hotpot for dinner tonight. The kitchen smells yummy now and is making my tummy rumble . I have my little munchkins arriving in half an hour to be looked after until school starts as Jemima is on an early today.

My lovely cmht lady is coming to help me draft a letter this morning so I will have a quick tidy up once the kids have gone. I also have shopping scheduled for delivery around 8am ish so it's all go this morning .

Right I am off to quickly have my breakfast so I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • redruby
    • By redruby 6th Dec 17, 7:11 AM
    • 6,508 Posts
    • 90,146 Thanks
    redruby
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:11 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:11 AM
    Morning all

My cooker is plumed in Oh the joy of being able to cook at home and cranky I was craving vegetables too, unfortunately we had to make do with peas as I don't have a lot in, my shopping is being delivered tonight so we will have a veg fest them

Off to work for me and the xmas lunches continue I shall be sick of the site of it by next week, I think its only 12 today so not too bad.

Ive got some mince out of the freezer so I shall cook something with that for tonight, also the shopping is coming and will need putting away.

Still lots of stuff to go back in the kitchen but I am getting there slowly and I want to make sure everything is in the best place for using it. Most of the kitchen is big pull out drawers so my plates are in the top one next to where I dish up which makes life easier than scrabbling round in a cupboard.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    Last edited by redruby; 06-12-2017 at 7:14 AM.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 6th Dec 17, 7:12 AM
    • 15,467 Posts
    • 63,889 Thanks
    Judi
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:12 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:12 AM
    Morning all

Just had a heart to heart with the Mother of my eldest Grandson..if ever theres a lesson to be learned about sticking your head in the sand when the going gets tough she is it. Still, she seems to be getting help now im glad to say.

Youngest just left for work. Hounds still snoring their heads off. Im staying in bed till the heating comes on....38 minutes to go.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 6th Dec 17, 7:21 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 14,622 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:21 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:21 AM
    Morning all, still pitch black here, cold ish but not icy.
    I'm about to have a shower and get ready, a later start as I'll be working into the evening.
    Yet another leaving do at work today, I've made a big tray of brownies but some have to be left here for son, otherwise he gets all deprived-feeling. He just gets a small portion as he is not in the least underfed, underfunded or under treated.
    Now all I have to do is get through the day, I forgot to put my out of office thing on my email so will probably have some cross emails.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Gers
    • By Gers 6th Dec 17, 7:27 AM
    • 5,961 Posts
    • 35,593 Thanks
    Gers
    Good morning all.

Dark and wet outside, more rain forecast for us too.

Work first thing and then Iím staying back to support another tutor for an hour. After that more paperwork. I sent an email last night indicating my stress levels and my intention to not continue next year. Now breathing better!

Nothing exciting today. Bolognese mince is defrosting slowly for my main meal.

Happy Wednesday everyone.
    • tru
    • By tru 6th Dec 17, 7:45 AM
    • 8,591 Posts
    • 43,494 Thanks
    tru

We three kings of Orient are
    Bearing gifts we traverse afar
    Field and fountain, moor and mountain
    Following yonder star

O Star of wonder, star of night
    Star with royal beauty bright
    Westward leading, still proceeding
    Guide us to thy Perfect Light

In my calendar Ė a snowman

Morning

I've made four Christmassy coasters, just need to finish off another two. It only took two attempts to transfer the image in my head to the finished item so I must be improving, lol. I have the wrong type of yarn and the wrong thickness of yarn so they're bigger than they should be. But I have the right colours so I'm going to use them anyway

I need to whizz around with the mop and hoover again. Nothing else is planned because miss tru will be here for our weekly lazy afternoon

Bulletproof
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 6th Dec 17, 8:07 AM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 27,522 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all,

I'm putting our tree up today. A friend was supposed to be coming to help but she's just messaged me to see if I want to go shopping instead. My leg is too sore for trailing round the outlet village and I don't want anything so I've declined. She said if you need my help give me a bell.....and there was me thinking I'd already asked. It takes me all my time to ask in the first place so to be let down after someone has been saying all week "see you Wednesday"...... Anyhows, the HT has helped me take the electric piano upstairs and bring the tree stuff down so we're good to go. If it takes me the rest of today to put the tree up it doesn't matter.

Redruby enjoy your vegetable fest tonight

Holly good news that your leg is improving. I hope the improvement continues.

Gers well done on making the decision.

tru thanks for the carol. The snowman is still the only thing I can recognise in the calendar

Take care all of you
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 6th Dec 17, 8:11 AM
    • 12,171 Posts
    • 35,742 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning chapettes

Still dark here well beyond when it should be ...its like the day just cant bothered starting ...I know that feeling

Woken up again at 6.20 again I really need to invest in some ear plugs

Not a bad day with mum yesterday relatively I should be grateful for small mercies I guess lol.
    Had fish chips and peas out for lunch and mum had salmon and mash which she has every time

Need to freezer dive for something for tonight ...I do love eating out but after two "outs" and another tomorrow I start to miss my own food

Eye test today ...I need some new specs so that will be another hundred quid or so (Asda specials ) Had a diagnosis on my poorly mac and its very poorly seemingly and will cost £360 to revive.....really really could do without it but Im afraid I need it for work.

thanks for the carols Tru dont think i've heard that one since primary school

Enjoy your weds everyone
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 6th Dec 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 4,814 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    oh cranky thats not nice of her!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 6th Dec 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 20,772 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for the carol TRU
    Hurrah for having the means to cook RR
    Good that email has been sent Gers here's to a far less stressful new year

Dull and overcast here, am hoping the rain holds off as want to ride Lulu this morning, we are supposed to be having a schooling session with our instructor tomorrow but with high winds and rain forecasted not sure it will happen.
    I was reasonably productive yesterday which included making a boiled fruit cake, JackieO's recipe from another thread, very yummy it was but think the oven was a bit hot as the top cracked a bit, my oven is an old fan one and can be a tad temperamental!

Eldest DSS is coming for his tea so have a piece of pork belly which will do with mash, leeks & carrots in cheese sauce and peas.

That's all the news, feel better vibes to all poorlies or those struggling, have a good day folks x

ETA that's really thoughtless of your friend Cranky
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 6th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 18,723 Thanks
    snoozer
    Cranky, that's not on, I'd be very cross.

Ziggypup goes home today, she'll be missed but I'll be glad to straighten up the house and garden. She loves the garden but causes devastation.
    Then, tonight I'll go to the late shopping at Columbia Rd flower market with DD. Tomorrow we'll be off to Spitalfields for some shopping as well. We used to have a day Christmas shopping every year but not so much the last few years so I'm really looking forward to it.

I've got some christmas oven mitts to finish for DS and DiL to go with the Aga hob covers I've made for them. I finished the baby quilt I was making as well, hurrah.

DH has 8 days left to work, he's off to dinner tonight with some former team members so I hope he enjoys it.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

Still pitch black outside. Never seen it so dark at this time of the morning. Could swear it's midnight.

Finished off my ironing last night, as planned but forgot to defrost a tuna steak, so opted for pasta instead. Caught up on some TV and tidied the flat followed by an early night.

Tonight i should have football but we're struggling to get the numbers, so it might be cancelled. If it is, I'm not sure how I'll spend my evening, I'll endeavour to be productive.

camelot - You've gave me an idea, I might do wrapping tonight. I'll write out my Xmas cards for my neighbours too.
    Jackie - Well done! Sounds like a good laugh actually
    Judi - Glad to hear the conversation went well. Particularly after your texts recently.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 6th Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 16,696 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning, ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Coffee morning, the car is packed and we will be off around 9.45 to set the table up with the remainder of the things from the Artisan Sale. I am not expecting to seel much, but a couple of sales would be good. I will give the pastor a donation towards the chapel for allowing me to set up.

Up twice in the night thank goodness I see the Dr tomorrow, I am beginning to feel quite run down. I have no idea why this keeps happening. I am fine for a while and then bang off we go again.

The third shed arrived yesterday, the chap was quite happy to carry the bits round to the back, they are propped up at the back of the bungalow with the roofing felt in front to prevent it blowing over and getting damaged. We are going to move the bin with the compost in round as well just to be on the safe side, we are forecast high winds tonight.

No news from OH's cousin in Ventura, I suppose no news is good news. I well remember many years ago being at Santa Paula airport for lunch then the hill opposite suddenly burst into flames, it was scary. Fortunately they managed to bring it under control quickly. This fire how ever is different, we watched a video last night on the computer, just the cinders landing on dry ground starts it off and it just goes whoosh.......

Right time to get sorted............
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 6th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 38,997 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to Cranky, Holly, Dumpling, Csarina and anyone else in need.

Thanks for the carol Tru, one of my favourites.

My beloved has been dropped at work, less rushing around for me today, I'm hoping to get some sewing done this morning and a boat clean done this afternoon.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • elona
    • By elona 6th Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 11,321 Posts
    • 60,687 Thanks
    elona
    Cranky

I am so sorry you got let down at the last minute and good luck with the tree. Mine has been put up and is half decorated as DDs have a particular colour scheme in mind and are bringing me baubles etc.

Had tweetiebix for breakfast, will have defrosted home made stew for lunch and a burger and green veg for tonight.

Library volunteering this afternoon so will wear my new warm jacket which is nice and cosy as it was cold here the last few days and forecast to get worse.

Hugs to all especially dumpling,csarina and Holly.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin