Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suelyn
    • By suelyn 6th Dec 17, 1:08 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    suelyn
    Prepayment meters
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:08 AM
    Prepayment meters 6th Dec 17 at 1:08 AM
    I have been lucky enough to buy my own house 3 months ago. The only thing is that it has prepayment meters in. These are with British gas. I asked to have credit meters installed at the beginning of October so British gas said they would need to do a credit check. I agreed. They said I didn't meet their criteria so declined to replace them and said I can try again in 60 days. I've got no outstanding energy debts and my credit score is very good according to Noddle. I've just reapplied today and again been told I don't meet the criteria!! I asked them what is the criteria....they couldn't/wouldn't tell me. I'm not happy as i've now got to wait another 60 days before I can reapply again. Any advice please??
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Dec 17, 8:22 AM
    • 6,399 Posts
    • 5,173 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:22 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:22 AM
    Change supplier. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity#switchometer
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 06-12-2017 at 8:25 AM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 6th Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:40 AM
    EDF are a good bet to switch to with a much more relaxed policy on credit history checks. Their prepay rates may be a little better than BGs but you won t be staying with them too long once the meters are exchanged.Its more important to get over to credit meters asap then you can really get the bills down to the lowest available.
    Prepay rates are universally higher than credit meters despite the marginal lowering now from the standard variable rates.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 6th Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:06 PM
    I have been lucky enough to buy my own house 3 months ago. The only thing is that it has prepayment meters in. These are with British gas. I asked to have credit meters installed at the beginning of October so British gas said they would need to do a credit check. I agreed. They said I didn't meet their criteria so declined to replace them and said I can try again in 60 days. I've got no outstanding energy debts and my credit score is very good according to Noddle. I've just reapplied today and again been told I don't meet the criteria!! I asked them what is the criteria....they couldn't/wouldn't tell me. I'm not happy as i've now got to wait another 60 days before I can reapply again. Any advice please??
    Originally posted by suelyn
    Depends on your credit history. British Gas should tell you which CRAs they used so you can then check your credit history with that/those CRAs to see what's wrong. That's assuming you have an income which does not necessarily mean a job: Your income could be from a pension for example.

If you're stuck ask BG to fit prepayment smart meters and then as soon as you can switch. On the switch date BG will remotely reset the prepayment smart meters to credit mode. You then argue with your new supplier over credit or prepay.

But beware the possibility that you will only be able to get prepayment with your new supplier which necessitates fitting new meters due to them not being able to read the BG smart meters. Some suppliers charge for fitting a new meter. For example Scottish Power charge up to £30 per meter.
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 6th Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 1,244 Thanks
    paragon909
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    Annoys me that energy companies to credit checks for these meters, But don't actually put the accounts on to the credit file to show as a positive thing.
    • SwanJon
    • By SwanJon 7th Dec 17, 11:58 PM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    SwanJon
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:58 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:58 PM
    Annoys me that energy companies to credit checks for these meters, But don't actually put the accounts on to the credit file to show as a positive thing.
    Originally posted by paragon909
    British Gas do (or at least did when I was there) - I think there's some kind of reciprocity involved - the more you give the more you get.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin