Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cv65user
    • By cv65user 5th Dec 17, 10:42 PM
    • 145Posts
    • 7Thanks
    cv65user
    company bought out half way through SAYE
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:42 PM
    company bought out half way through SAYE 5th Dec 17 at 10:42 PM
    i have been paying into 1/3 year saye scheme net from salary.
    company is going to be bought out in dec 2017 and delisted from stocks.

i have been given letter to option A: excercise what i have paid in so far with no income tax/ni to pay

option B: if buy out is authorised in dec, i will receive 'cash consideration?' and i can contiue to pay for another 6 months but i will be subject to income/ni tax - why is this when it has been coming off my salary as net? or is paye tax different to income tax? how do i calculate it? just knock off another 22% off my gain or the whole lot?( if whole lot ill be better off going for option A)

would i be right to think if i went for option B depending on how much tax i will have to pay i may end up better off taking option A?

nb - my gain will not be over the 11k cgt.
    Last edited by cv65user; 05-12-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Page 1
    • neverbrokensarah
    • By neverbrokensarah 5th Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    neverbrokensarah
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    PAYE is just the way employees pay income tax by deduction from salary. The self-employed will pay income tax via self assessment / direct payment to HMRC. Why would you be paying for another 6 months when there will be no more shares in the company that are on the market?
    • cv65user
    • By cv65user 5th Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    cv65user
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    i have been explained it as because it was not my fault the company got bought out , i guess the buyer is being nice and allowing me to continue for another 6 months

someone has effectively 'bought/reserved' the discounted shares, i just pay into a 3 year plan.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter