Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tightmoneysaver
    • By tightmoneysaver 5th Dec 17, 8:56 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tightmoneysaver
    Direct Debits
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:56 PM
    Direct Debits 5th Dec 17 at 8:56 PM
    Do watch out for not having Direct Debits.
    I have been saving £20k with Santander for a year with no interest,
    have to pay £5 a month fee and got NO interest.
    I have paid them £60 to look after my £20,000
    All because the direct debits have lapsed.
    Lloyds bank have also done the same.
    Banking is legalised robbery
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 5th Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    Did you not notice that your direct debits had ‘lapsed’? Over the course of a year, did you not check the account? Not even once?
    If not, I would direct the angries at yourself.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • anna42hmr
    • By anna42hmr 5th Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    anna42hmr
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    And personal responsibility has no part to play????

Why didn’t you log in to check your accounts for a year (had you logged in you would be known sooner.
    Why didn’t you notice that the direct debit beneficiaries were not receiving money
    If the theyvare not claimed for 13 months they lapse so you mustn’t have been having direct debits paid out for over two years (13 months prior to lapsing and the year you’ve not received interest?)
    MFW # 105

2015 Target £7000/ Overpaid £8095
    2016 Target £6000 / Overpaid £6983.24
    2017 Target £3500 / £3367.86 so far as at November
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 5th Dec 17, 9:37 PM
    • 29,613 Posts
    • 17,466 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:37 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:37 PM
    If only there were more like you...it might still be paying 3%.

But you've learned a very useful, albeit expensive at £300, lesson here. The best people to look after your money are yourselves!
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 5th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 24,253 Posts
    • 11,536 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    Monthly insurance d/d do not lapse or life premiums or mortgage payments or car insurance etc etc.
    They only lapse if not used for 13 months - that is not the fault of originator.
    To be fair to the banks they give you a decent return (in today's low interest rate culture)provided you comply with a simple criteria - pay in £x per calendar month and have y active direct debits.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • tightmoneysaver
    • By tightmoneysaver 5th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tightmoneysaver
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    The honest answer is that I did check what was going in and out the account but I did not check that I was being paid interest, I trusted them.
    What do Santander say, simple, fair and honest,
    except if you fail to have 2 direct debits, we won't pay interest.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 5th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 29,613 Posts
    • 17,466 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    What do Santander say...<snip>...if you fail to have 2 direct debits, we won't pay interest.
    Originally posted by tightmoneysaver
    That's correct. Indeed they do.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 5th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    The honest answer is that I did check what was going in and out the account but I did not check that I was being paid interest, I trusted them.
    Iím sorry..but....if you checked what was coming in and going out...properly...youíd have noticed that the requisite number of direct debits were not being paid. Itís fully your mistake, no fault on the part of Santander.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • ROY47
    • By ROY47 5th Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    ROY47
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    The honest answer is that I did check what was going in and out the account

Sorry BUT NO you didn't check what was going in and out the account . My paper statements say How much we are paying you this much for interest money back from direct debits etc

It's also online for you to check
    posted at same time as above answer
    • anna42hmr
    • By anna42hmr 6th Dec 17, 3:40 AM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    anna42hmr
    If that is indeed the case then how is it Santander’s and Lloyds fault that you didn’t get the interest - you clearly were not checking thoroughly enough and therefore you have learnt an (expensive) lesson - if you have an account for an expressed reason - ie interest - you monitor it proparly if not you miss out.

Learn from it, move on and make sure you check properly in future. The woe is me and bank are criminals routine will do you no favours as if you chose to not pay full attention to your accounts in future the same could happen again. Take personal responsibility for your own actions and it won’t happen again

They tell you the terms it’s up to You to make sure you follow them. You clearly knew about them in the first place to set up the direct debits.
    Last edited by anna42hmr; 06-12-2017 at 3:47 AM.
    MFW # 105

2015 Target £7000/ Overpaid £8095
    2016 Target £6000 / Overpaid £6983.24
    2017 Target £3500 / £3367.86 so far as at November
    • msallen
    • By msallen 6th Dec 17, 4:45 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    msallen
    How the hell is this any fault of Santander's?

You are to blame. Nobody else.
    • tightmoneysaver
    • By tightmoneysaver 6th Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tightmoneysaver
    I started this thread to help anyone else to be aware of maintaining their direct debits.
    What's wrong with the bank telling their customer that they won't pay interest, or in the case of another bank not paying a bonus.
    Its just being open and honest, is that so wrong ?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 6th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 29,613 Posts
    • 17,466 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I started this thread to help anyone else to be aware of maintaining their direct debits.
    It will be a useful reminder to some people I'm sure.
    What's wrong with the bank telling their customer that they won't pay interest
    They do tell them...in the account T&Cs.

Or do you mean write to you specifically about the fact they haven't paid you interest this month because you didn't meet the T&Cs? It'd be pretty expensive to do that wouldn't it? Maybe they could send you an email each month you don't comply? But then again they already do send you an email each month telling you that your statement is ready to view. But as you well know, people ignore those monthly emails...for months on end.

I missed it first time around in your OP (probably due to your excessive use of emoticons), but you seem to say you've also lost your Club Lloyds interest? Maybe 'complicated' banking isn't for you? Stick to 'fill and forget' savings accounts? However, if you take that approach, be sure to read any emails they send you...especially the one that says the bonus rate is ending and you'll revert to 0.25% AER!
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 6th Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    • 7,300 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I was so irritated with myself for overlooking a £750 credit to earn a £3 Halifax reward last month.

But it was my responsibility.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 6th Dec 17, 12:52 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 1,400 Thanks
    Ballard
    What's wrong with the bank telling their customer that they won't pay interest, or in the case of another bank not paying a bonus.
    Its just being open and honest, is that so wrong ?
    Had you not accused the banks of robbing you I suspect that you may have received more sympathy.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 6th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Mnd
    When you log in to Santander is says you earned £? Interest this month and £??? Since account opening
    Did this not show up
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,080Posts Today

7,925Users online

Martin's Twitter